October 30, 2014

Privileged: Pilot (series premiere)

by Paul Goebel, posted Sep 9th 2008 10:23PM

Joanna Garcia(S01E01) In the first five minutes of this show, viewers are treated to a visual definition of the phrase "fish out of water."

I generally don't like any comedy that starts out with the the main character losing everything and starting her life all over again. In a drama, it kind of works that the hero has to go from town to town searching for something she lost. In a comedy, it just means that we'll be spending the next half hour watching the hero say things like, "What did I get myself into?"

The premise of the show is pretty simple. Megan (Joanna Garcia) needs a job, a home, money, etc, so she moves to West Palm Beach and gets hired by Anne Archer (in her most MILF-tastic role) to tutor her granddaughters. Her granddaughters are, of course, stupid and spoiled and therein lies the wackiness.

When Megan first meets Sage and Rose, they are about what you'd expect. One insults her outfit while the other justifies their complete lack of interest in their studies. At this point, nothing is too impressive.

One character who manages to stand out is the family's personal chef, Marco, played by Alan Louis. He's a classic archetype of the hired help who is above the nonsense that involves his employers, but of course, he's irreplaceable so he can say whatever he wants. He kind of reminds me of a very hip, very gay Benson.

Halfway through the show, we learn that Megan is originally from Florida and when she surprises her platonic best friend, Charlie (Michael Cassidy), she asks him not to alert her father or sister that she's back in town.

I have been a fan of Michael Cassidy since The OC but he's really underused here. He deserves more than being the best friend who gives advice that is never taken.

Megan's love interest comes in a very charming package that goes by the name of Will. Brian Hallisay plays Will and he's not only easy on the eyes he's also very apt at being the one person Megan can connect with inside the world of Palm Beach fabulousness. Ironically, you may remember Hallisay from his role as Paris Hilton's boyfriend in the classic film Bottoms Up.

By the end of the show, it's made clear that one of the sisters is evil and one is good and while they love each other, they disagree on their futures. Unfortunately, I was so disinterested in the show by that time that I couldn't be bothered to tell which one was which.

As one would expect, Megan's sister, Lily, shows up near the end of the show add to the drama. Sadly, she also adds an excruciating amount of exposition.

The cast of this show is very talented but the premise has been done too many times to make this version of the "spoiled rich girls who learn a lesson" story worth watching.

What do you think the chances are that Privileged will last the full season?
Slim151 (71.2%)
None61 (28.8%)

fowak

I actually liked it quite a bit. I found JoAnna Garcia very charming and believable in the role. I love her budding relationship with the nice sister, Rose.

I think Michael Cassidy will be given more to do as the series progresses. I already see a triangle forming with him and JoAnna and Brian Hallisay.

September 12 2008 at 12:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Darrel Hormeku

I'm glad to see "Ducky" Back on TV.

September 11 2008 at 12:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nattyff

Just catch the show expecting another stupid adolecent show (that i can't take my eyes of... :), and found a completly diferent vibe to it. Actually i really like it, even if the formula is an old one, i think that they did it right and has potencially more meet that the others "rich girls" shows out there.
I too can't agree with the review at all, maybe Paul change his mind for the 2nd episode.

September 10 2008 at 11:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
William Whitaker

I couldn't disagree with this review more. I really liked the show and thought Joanna did an awesome job. Her speech to the mean daughter Sage and mother Anne was perfect. It was funny, interesting and pop-culture clever (like Greek). Two thumbs up.

September 10 2008 at 1:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Riley Freeman

i got into it. i had no intention of watching it but iwas bored and im curious to see what happens next. it did start off a little slow. but i see this being another OC with all the drama thats going to follow now.

September 10 2008 at 11:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cdawg

I was very impressed by this Garcia chick and hope that she'll be on tv for a long time.
I enjoyed the show for what it was - the fluff. And it was more of a unique plot than most shows out there (I'm looking at you 90210).

But more importantly - I MUST KNOW WHO DESIGNED HER FORMAL DRESS?!! It's gorgeous. I want to say Monique Lhullier.. anyone???

September 10 2008 at 11:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TK101

The show is FULL of beautiful people, and all are reasonably talented (with Garcia the best of the bunch). I doubt it will last if it stays so formulaic, but it was only the pilot.

Props to casting the lovely Ann Archer as the grandmother - she's still got it!

TK

September 10 2008 at 11:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
john

i like with Joanna Garcia, that's some reason why i watch this movie

September 10 2008 at 1:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
john

i like Joanna Carcia , she look pretty and smart

September 10 2008 at 1:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
john

Joanna Garcia acting look fresh in this series premiere,maybe someday, she could be big actress

September 10 2008 at 1:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply