October 1, 2014

Whatever, Martha looks kind of mean, kind of hilarious - VIDEOS

by Kona Gallagher, posted Sep 9th 2008 11:03AM
whatever marthaIf you're Alexis Stewart, daughter of domestic goddess Martha Stewart; your childhood was weird. It's an unavoidable fact; no one could grow up around that much tulle and handmade, hand-stamped wrapping paper and escape without any lasting effects. Luckily, Alexis has been able to use this to her advantage. Along with her friend Jennifer Koppelman Hutt, Alexis Stewart is mining her experiences growing up with Martha for her new show, Whatever, Martha.

When I first heard about Whatever, Martha, I laughed. Seriously; it sounded like one of those ideas you come up with at three in the morning after downing a family sized bottle of Cabernet. Kind of an, "oh my God, I just had the best idea for a show: what if we sat around and watched old episodes of Martha Stewart Living and tried to do the crafts while I talk about how screwed up my childhood was and how Martha always forgot my birthdays and stuff" kind of idea. Starting on September 16, that 3 am idea is going to become a reality -- and we have video.

After watching the videos below, I'm kind of amazed that this is actually making it on the air. Alexis an Jennifer have had a show on Martha's Sirius channel since 2005 called Whatever with Alexis & Jennifer in which they talk about their lives and whatever else is on their minds, but this show targets Martha directly. Martha and Alexis, who have had a troubled relationship in the past, have apparently grown closer in the past several years, so maybe this is just an extension of a newfound acceptance.

The clips below are sneak previews from Whatever, Martha that give you a pretty good idea of what to expect. They hold the bizarre, tragic fascination of a train wreck, especially when Alexis talks about Martha shoving a pillar candle in a pound cake for her birthday. To me, this show looks like a good time, but what do you think? Does Whatever, Martha fall more on the side of mean, or hilarious?

crapforadaughter

I watched about 10 minutes of this show and that was enough for me. I couldn't buy into watching a couple of cry baby women trashing the person who made these girls even remotely familar. I can't believe how disrespectful Martha's daughter is and her stupid side-kick are. If Mom was so horrible to you, why are you using her to make a living for yourself. I am so glad I didn't give birth to such a b@@#^!!
Martha was so mean to me and so rich and successful...so she owes me!!!!! whaah whaah
Oh and I am the brat friend that hung out with poor Alexis...probably practically lived at their house and reaped the rewards of fame and fortune, just to turn around and bite the hand that feeds you. What is this world coming to for people to think this is appropriate. The show should be named "Shear Garbage" hosted by two brats that haven't yet matured.

November 20 2008 at 12:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sally

Just caught this show last eve for the first time, and it reminded me about the time I listened to a 70-something friend as she browsed through her new copy of MSL. "ohh...I wonder what Martha will have us doing today....perhaps painting faces on little peas and lining them up on dinner plates?"

Anyway, I laughed so hard at 'Whatever" that I thought I'd burst....it's hilarious, and for those who think it's mean, catty or otherwise - just change the channel.

November 06 2008 at 11:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
yabbi

I do not intend to sound mean or catty, but I am so surprised that Alexis dresses like a 65 year old woman, not her age at all. Tonight she's got a short hair cut, diamond dangle earrings and a long scarf wrapped high around her throat. The scarf is way too dramatic for the simple slacks she has on, not a style 'match'. Her highlighted hair do makes her look like my grandmother in the 1980s. She doesn't seem to be able to find her own or an appropriate style. She looks like she's been 'done' by someone who dresses her in over the top designer old lady clothes from a rack in Marshalls. If she has a personal stylist, that person needs to find another career.

November 06 2008 at 12:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
texviv

THE dumbest show in t.v. I'm not a Martha fan either but this show is DOA.

October 15 2008 at 12:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jean

Please ask Jennifer to keep her bare feet off the table with the snacks. I fully expect to see her toes grab a chip at any moment. It is not only disgusting but distracting.

October 01 2008 at 4:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to jean's comment
Samantha

I agree. Jennifer's habits are revolting. From the too-loud, too-long laugh at her own lame jokes, to the bare feet near the food, to the pathertic attempts to disguise her vast ignorance as sneering disgust, she has made me watch the show less and less.

During an episode in which she had to glue sea shells to a mirror, she bellowed about the shells, the glue, then the shells again, then the glue, then the shells - oy.

I would love to see the articulate, witty Alexis pair with a peer. Now, that would be a show!

October 24 2008 at 11:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jean

October 01 2008 at 4:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kath

I love it as the daughter of a over the top mother who only thought her way was the only one that mattered. Like Alexis we have made a sort of peace and can laugh at the percieved horrors we put each other through and can laugh at ourselves. I say laugh all the way to the bank with this one. I love it.

September 30 2008 at 7:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
vufindr

People. It's a SHOW! You know for entertainment purposes!? It's great pairing of what I assume are friends. Martha isn't stupid she knows what a lot of people think of her. So, Martha and/or her daughter are " beating people to the punch."

As for the negative comment about Jennifer's appearance...there is nothing wrong with her appearance!She's no Barbie. But I bet the person that posted that comment isn't one either. Well... if you ask her/him they probably are.

September 24 2008 at 9:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
siriusfan

To Anita, two Alexis' would not be fun and would probably kill each other. Jennifer is the perfect foil
for Ms. Stewart. To Marthafan, Martha said on her
show that this was her idea. I love the radio show
and the TV show, hope they go on for years.

September 18 2008 at 7:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RP

I just watched the shows and I LOVED IT!!! I couldn't stop laughing. I have always felt that Martha took herself way to seriously so it is fun to see the stick be removed from her ass sorta speak... and having the stick being removed by her daughter is priceless... I have my TIVO set for my new favorite show- Thanks Alexis and Jennifer for the much needed laughs-

September 18 2008 at 2:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply