September 22, 2014

America's Next Top Model: The Ladder of Model Success

by Kona Gallagher, posted Sep 10th 2008 11:09PM
antm lauren brie(S01E03) I'm really kind of freaked out by the contestants that we've seen so far this season. No, not because there's a transgendered person in the house; the reason I'm so confused is that there seem to be several girls who are kind of awesome.

Of course Hannah is an idiot; she's the small town girl that ends up on the show every season and goes through the competition completely unrepentant in her ignorance. While the other girls in the house usually just go with this, this season they're actually confronting her about her stank behavior, which includes pushing Isis and saying that since she's the "stereotypical white girl," she doesn't come into rooms screaming, (like black people do).

When they have the confrontation, which to me, seems very calm and respectful, Hannah actually likens it to "gang rape," and says it's "like gang violence." She is a ridiculous individual. A ridiculous, horrifying, ugly individual.
On the opposite end of the spectrum is Sheena, who has quickly become my surprise favorite. Besides being called "hoochie" by Jay and all of the judges every three freakin' seconds, she is thoughtful and reasonable. Not only has she been an advocate for Isis since the beginning, but she showed some real character at panel. She was completely caught off guard when Paulina asked her if her breasts were real, so she said they were, even though they aren't. What's great though, is that she did something very few other girls would do; instead of just letting the moment go, she stepped up and told the truth. The judges respected her for it and it probably let to her receiving her picture sooner than she would have otherwise.

Analeigh also proved to be pretty cool, as she helped Isis out when she needed to give herself a hormone shot. I also enjoyed Britney's WTF attitude toward the inane things that kept constantly coming out of her mouth.

The first photoshoot this crop of of contestants had was kind of a mess, so I really wasn't expecting very much from this week's. However, I was pleasantly surprised. The majority of the pictures were really good. Usually when you have a photo shoot that involves heights and/or athleticism, you get a lot of crying and flopping around like a dead fish. This one, however, had none of the former and very little of the ladder. Lauren Brie especially, toward whom I've been pretty ambivalent, really made her body do some pretty amazing things, which is why the judges gave her her picture first.

Here is the order in which the models received their pictures.
Lauren Brie
Elina (challenge winner)
Jocelyn
Marjorie
McKey
Samantha
Sheena
Hannah
Clark
Brittney
Analeigh
Isis

Nikeysha, who was the last model given a photo last week, couldn't hang on for another week. She said she learned her lesson about talking too much, but clearly she didn't, because she would not shut up. I did, however, feel badly for her when Tyra asked her about her eating habits. I agree that she looks too skinny, but Tyra should know that Panel isn't exactly the best place to bring up a potential eating disorder. What is she supposed to say? " Yes, Tyra. I live on 500 calories a day; thanks for asking."? Come on. All that question did was pay lip service to the issue and it was annoying.

I agree with Nikeysha's dismissal; she really didn't have the potential that a lot of the other girls have. I am, however, surprised that it came down to her and Isis. Isis definitely didn't have one of the strongest pictures this week, but I didn't think it was bad at all. Both her body and face were okay. Hannah, on the other hand, had a pretty good pose, but her face just made her look like she climbed up onto a hot air balloon because she was stoned.

Again, it was a pretty impressive week, but I'm just looking forward to the makeovers.

Who's your favorite contestant so far?
Marjorie39 (9.0%)
Isis38 (8.8%)
Hannah17 (3.9%)
Lauren Brie25 (5.8%)
McKey23 (5.3%)
Joslyn18 (4.1%)
Elina94 (21.7%)
Samantha4 (0.9%)
Britney8 (1.8%)
Sheena102 (23.5%)
Analeigh55 (12.7%)
Clark7 (1.6%)
Nikeysha4 (0.9%)

charlene

I kind of truly understand where Hannah feels. because if you are from a small population you don't or wouldn't understand about transgender people. I live in a state of New Jersey to where there is always men that are dressed like women and there are women who are like men. So I kind of understand where she is coming from. If you never see a man as a woman trust me honey, you'll be freaked out. When I first saw this season of America's Next Top Model, I to was shocked . ISIS but it does not say anywhere that this was not america's next top woman model. So I agree with the few of you.

October 28 2008 at 9:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JillyBean

HELLO
ARE WE EVER GOING TO GET ANOTHER EPISODE REVIEW???

September 26 2008 at 10:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to JillyBean's comment
Netra

Doesnt look like it...what's going on? Anyone know?

September 30 2008 at 1:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
critic

wow YOU SUCK...stfu bitch...hannah is my favorite girl...shes not trash like the rest of them. All buncha airheads,transexuals, and hoochies...hannah and analeigh all the way.

September 18 2008 at 3:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to critic's comment
Netra

Okay first and foremost to Critic - Get a dictionary.
Second..........No update??? :-(

September 19 2008 at 8:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Z!

wow i check in from time to time but this a heated discussion. Let me say for one there are a surprising number of likable girls this cycle so its too early for me to have a clear favorite. I too have noticed that incessant french theme and subsequent french banter every time marjoire is on screen. i am annoyed for her.

My two cents on the hannah issue. The push was a knee-jerk reaction and i hope she realized it was rude and apologized afterwards but i dont feel that was malicious. I understand she is uncomfortable and in unfamiliar territory and she has every right to be. that doesnt mean she has to be disrespectful. No one forced her to stay in the hot tub when things got wild and crazy and ignorance is not an excuse. And she definitely made some prejudice remarks. I dont think she is a racist she just needs to think before she speaks. I understand that being called out like that was scary for her, especially from a bunch of minority women hence her "gang violence" remark. i think they maybe could have talked to her a little more casually but its nice to see them say something to her and not just talk a bunch of smack behind her back which is typical on reality shows.

Last note on racism in america. It is alive and well just not as overt as say hosing down blacks in the street or hanging them from trees. everyone who says "get over it" i would say is either clueless and white, clueless and can pass for white, or really clueless. I suggest you learn more about american history and institutional racism, the covert kind that leaks in to our thinking, schooling, housing, work force, law enforcement, judicial system, correction system, the media, and entertainment that is not always seen but definitely felt. It is a particular sore point for blacks because the history between blacks and whites in america is long and sordid. When you are minority (not in numbers but in power) and you wear your race on your skin assumptions are instantly made about you no matter where you go that have nothing to do with how you are as a person. being black is not a "card" i play, its a part of my identity and has for better or worse shaped my experiences since birth and until i die and i cant just "get over it". I hope that at least someone reading this will think about that and try to really learn about racism and white privilege the history now instead of trying to talk about something they dont know about and sounding like an idiot. If you really want to end racism in america educate yourselves and everyone you know and it might be possible one day.

sorry but i had to say something. love tvsquad, love antm

September 15 2008 at 12:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shane

I just have to say that all these comments are crazy funny! They make for good reading - very interesting.

My opinion on it is that Hannah is a sweet girl who just isn't used to different stuff. I think the way she handled the hot tub scene was wrong.

I must say, though, that SHEENA is amazing. I'm so glad that she admitted to Tyra that her breasts were fake - it just goes to show how much of an honest person she is. I would've done the same thing (lied at first) but I'm not quite sure if I would have had enough strength to tell the truth and embarass myself.

Also, to the person who called her a "skank" or "tramp" or whatever word was used, I think your wrong. Sheena has shown throughout her time on the show that she is caring, understanding, intelligent and honest. Her confrontation with Hannah wasn't rude in the slightest and the other girls were MUCH more confrontational and exaggerative than Sheena.

Hopefully she wins this cycle. I think if she tones down the hoochie then she'll have it in the bag. She's got all the components.

September 12 2008 at 11:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Emily

I missed the season opening and only saw this episode last night, but thanks to TVS I have been keeping up as best I can.

I'm glad that I won't be subjected to anymore of Nykesha. This girl needs to learn when to shut up - that might have saved her last night. She also looks like she swallowed a plastic hanger - ick!

I'm not bothered by the presence of a pre-op transgender, but they couldn't find a pretty one? Too thin, busted up teeth and vacant eyes don't work for me. Is she not allowed to wear a padded bra? I've had 2 pre-ops and 1 post-op work for me and they wore special bras and butt pads to fill out their shape. No different than Sheena's implants, IMO.

Smart girl, that Sheena, for fessing up. You can't fool someone that has been in the modeling business as long as Tyra that those "girls" are real.

Hannah is the dumb country f*ck plucked out of the backwoods to embarrass small town America. I saw her reaction in the hot tub as a knee-jerk reaction in a fearful way rather than in a hurtful way. I think if any of the girls had backed into her similarly she would have reacted the same way. She is a country mouse in a house full of city cats.

I love the shoot, but I am sick of seeing Benji at the challenges. Can we please ditch that guy? He is just too full of himself.

September 12 2008 at 2:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
deebopalula

WOW. I came into this way back at comment 1 with a stupid joke about Hannah and moose (mooses? meeses?) and then a comment to "Disgusted" whose reply seemed to get the big ball rolling, but I must fess, I popped in before I had seen the show. Now that I have, I must add my two cents:

To me, it's all in the editing. They are in the hot tub playing truth or dare. We are never shown what dare Isis has taken - something about dancing or something??? All I know is that if you watch the clip, it is Lauren Brie's arms outstretched in the tub, seemingly expecting Isis' arrival. When Isis seems to go slightly "off course" - and I know from being in a pool that your equilibrium is not what it would be on dry land - she veers into Hannah's territory and Hannah responds in a definite skittish manner - sort of like somebody who doesn't like bugs realizing that an ant is crawling up their leg. But Hannah, who seems to have the life experience level of a 14 year old, seemed to have been freaked out long before that. I do feel for the kid, but she will come out of this experience wiser for having been introduced to people who her small town upbringing have not allowed her to experience before. And you know what? That's a great thing! That's how people grow and evolve. People are assuming that because she had a brief freak out moment in the tub (and remember, we only saw a hoochie dance and a lesbian kiss - who knows what else preceeded it) - that she will be stuck in her lack of worldliness forever. On the contrary, I think her exposure to different types of people than she's accustomed to seeing will be a positive and altering experience for her.

Secondly, Isis appeared sincerely apologetic that she backed into Hannah's space and promptly beat a hasty retreat back to the other side. There is probably nobody in the house more sensitive to what it feels like to be an outsider than Isis and I did not see Isis in anyway taunting or mocking Hannah or saying anything other than a very genuine "Sorry!".

Next - Who says "the whole house" confronted Hannah? I did not see that. The 4 girls talking (Sheena, Nekeysha, Brittany and Jocyln) asked the girls in Hannah's room (Hannah, Marjorie, and I think - Analeigh and Elina) to come in. That was probably a better move than just asking Hannah to come in and then pouncing on her. There were a number of girls who I did NOT see in the room - chief among them ISIS and also Samantha, Clarke (who reminds me of Renee from a previous season), Lauren, McKey. Further, the whole "confrontation" was blown out of proportion. Jocyln to Hannah "Are you a racist?" (based on info that Nekeysha admitted she had heard SECOND hand) - Hannah "I am not, but thanks for critiquing me!". She retreats and cries, the types of sobs that I, as a mother, wanted to take and hug her, even though I knew that it was her own words that had led to the rather mild mannered conversation that ultimately took place.

Final thoughts: 1) If Nekeysha is too thin, so is Isis; 2) Isis is interesting and hauntingly beautiful. I hope she gets over her nerves and stays in the competition; 3) Are they ever going to stop playing that stupid "French" organ music everytime there's a scene with Marjorie in it? Sheesh already!; 4) I can't wait for the makeovers!!

September 11 2008 at 5:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cdawg

I really wish I could respond directly to people's posts. This to Netra: Please read. I (myself a black woman) and my fellow black women coworkers didn't feel offended in the LEAST by what Hannah said. Thus I think all of you need to calm down and quit slamming the girl. She was rude to push Isis, but she didn't deserve the gang up she got.

Whatever about Isis - I can take her or leave her.

Go pixie blond chica.

September 11 2008 at 1:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to cdawg's comment
Netra

I didnt slam Hannah but I am not going to make excuses for her BS behavior. This girl called herself the stereotypical white girl then when people come to a conclusion based on the "stereotypical white girl" WE are attacking her? You have people on her saying "Give her a break" Are you serious? Bottom line I'm not slamming Hannah; but some of the things she said just wasnt right. When she got confronted she broke and started to cry. Now that's typical and YOU know it.

September 11 2008 at 3:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Netra

One more thing exactly what is that suppose to mean to me you and your co workers werent offended so no other black women should be offended? And if we are keep our mouths shut? I know you are NOT serious.

September 11 2008 at 3:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jessica

Gees, people! Go Sheena and Elina!

September 11 2008 at 1:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Thom

Let's see.

Disgusted...the name itself speaks volumes in reference to this thread. Plus, claiming someone is "pretending" to be someone instead of even remotely considering the fact that is part of their identify..that's pretty damn foolish, and I'm not going to sit back without defending people like Isis.

It's 2008 and guess what, people. Reality show producers actively search for people who fill these pre-defined roles for castmembers to create drama and tension to keep us glued to the tube. I bet the actuality of the situation with Isis and Hannah was nothing like we saw on tv. That's one thing.

The thing I actually care about is suggesting that someone is not fit for a tv show because they don't fill the pre-defined roles consistent with someone's individual and subjective morality. Suggesting that Isis should not be on ANTM because she's not a real "woman" or "CoverGIRL" is no different than suggesting any other social group not be portrayed on tv because they are black, gay, or whatever. It is not ethically right in my opinion. I will scream it until the cows come home.

September 11 2008 at 12:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply