August 30, 2014

The new fall season: the ratings so far

by Bob Sassone, posted Sep 10th 2008 3:20PM
Sarah Connor ChroniclesWe've only been into the new season for a few days, but some ratings numbers are already in. Looks like people love robots and prisons but might be getting sick of vampires.

On Monday, NBC won the night, with its lineup of Deal Or No Deal (9.6 million viewers), America's Toughest Jobs (6.5), and Dateline (6.2), but FOX won in the all-important 18 to 49 demographic with its lineup of the Sarah Connor Chronicles season premiere and a new episode of Prison Break. The Sarah Connor Chronicles grabbed 6.3 million viewers, while Prison Break did even better, with 6.5 million. CBS beat NBC in the 18-49 demo with their lineup of comedy repeats. ABC was fourth and The CW was fifth.

Over on cable, the news isn't good for the new vampire show True Blood. The series premiere on Sunday attracted only 1.4 million viewers. To put that in perspective, the debut episode of another HBO series, John From Cincinnati, grabbed 3.4 million viewers. Of course, that first episode was launched after the finale of The Sopranos, so that has to be taken into consideration.

On Tuesday, the good news continued for FOX. The premiere of Fringe had 9 million viewers (helping the network win the 18-49ers), while Hole in the Wall got around 5 million. They weren't the most watched shows of the night though. That was NBC's America's Got Talent, with over 11 million viewers. 90210 saw a big drop in viewers, and the premiere of Privileged didn't do so well either, with less than 3 million viewers.

What have you been watching this season?

eydie

after getting my favorite show cancelled last season (Moonlight) i was scared to watch another new one. however, i love aussies, so i checked out The Mentalist and i love it. it isn't moonlight, but i'm hoping that it won't be yanked out from under me before it has a chance to grow an audience.

October 03 2008 at 10:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Danielle

I would love to see Fringe, but my DVR was is full mode and couldnt watch or record it...Does anyone know if they are reairing the premiere? I have been watching 90210 and will stick it out to see how it does. I never got into Prison Break. I got caught up w/ the first season of Sarah Chronicles and will continue to watch the next season.

September 11 2008 at 9:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Danielle's comment
ann

Fringe pilot re-airs at 8 on Sunday and also available online in HD.

September 11 2008 at 11:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mike

I finally got around to watching Fringe last night and while I enjoyed the show, I'm pretty sure I don't want to get caught up in an ongoing conspiracy laden show that odds are will never answer any questions even if it lasts past the first season. Call me jaded, but I've been burned too often.

September 11 2008 at 8:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
D-Bo

I'm glad TSCC did well, still waiting for the Unit, the Office and Life to return (oh and 24 but January is soooo far away). The Shield's first two episodes have been great, and the Sons of Anarchy looks promising... Too bad Weeds is already at it's last episode.

September 10 2008 at 8:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

9 million for Fridge seems very low, same with 6.5 million for TSCC. Didn't TSCC last year get an average of 8 million?

September 10 2008 at 7:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
starshine_diva

Fringe is absolutely awesome. And True Blood was pretty good too!

September 10 2008 at 6:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Darren

I actually think Privileged was a pretty good show, even better then 90210. But you can't expect the CW to have more then a few million viewers per show anyway, so I hope they can keep them on the air.

September 10 2008 at 6:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lucyfan62

I just wonder how long they can keep calling the show PRISON BREAK if they're not actually breaking out of a prison!

September 10 2008 at 5:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to lucyfan62's comment
Franklin

LOL, maybe they should rename it "Prison Broke".

September 10 2008 at 5:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CK

I actually enjoyed True Blood - although I am a big fan of the book series. I think it'll catch on. Cable isn't quick to cancel shows before they get going...look at In Treatment.

I LOVED Fringe. I was very intrigued. Look forward to next week. Prison Break and AGT are also among my list of "to record".

September 10 2008 at 5:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason

Prison Break went off the rails sometime around season 2, but they've managed to recover into a fun action/thriller vibe that still works somehow. Even though the increasing improbabilities are driving it into the realm of scifi, it's fun to watch. And it's much better now that they've gone away from the awfulness of the whole Sona thing. They get missions, there's debating and a lot of yelling, some fancy technology usage, and some action bits. Sounds like a good formula to keep them going for this season.

Terminator had a pretty good start, though I wasn't interested in the whole Shirley Manson thing until that last scene - what a doozy that was!

Fringe was quite excellent overall, looking forward to where they go with it in the coming weeks. The debut numbers were a little lower than the 10 million+ I hoped for (it had about 9 million). My bet is that the numbers will be as good or better next week since it will be leading out of the House premiere. And if it can hold 7-8 million all season, Fox will likely renew it. If nothing else, it's a pedigree thing; they have broken the exclusivity ABC has held over Abrams series since Felicity ended in 2002 (or thereabouts).

September 10 2008 at 4:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply