October 25, 2014

Free HD episodes on iTunes

by Brett Love, posted Sep 11th 2008 12:04PM

Eureka in iTunesIf you were wondering just what that extra dollar buys you when you upgrade to HD in the iTunes store, you can get a free look. Our pals over at TUAW made note of a number of shows that have free episodes available, in HD. The files are large, with the HD versions clocking in at right around 1.5GB, so it will take a bit to download. Something that isn't helped by the fact that iTunes downloads the SD version as well.

I've been taking a look at them and I grabbed screenshots from Heroes, Life, and Battlestar Galactica to give you an idea of the difference in the picture. It's fairly dramatic. Those captures, and the full list of free episodes, with the iTunes links, are after the jump.

Battlestar Galactica
full size SD - full size HD

Life
full size SD - full size HD

Heroes
full size SD - full size HD

Dan Chichian

I hate that TV Squad did not review the mid season finale.

October 09 2008 at 9:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mack Swift

Yep, someone beat me to the Comcast comment. We have HD shows on iTunes and "soon" from Amazon.

Let's say I decide to download the entire SG-1 series in HD when it becomes available. That's going to go over their 250GB boundary.

Hey Comcast, you and the FCC and a few civil lawsuits are gonna have a rather spiffy meet-n-greet in the future; wouldn't you say?

September 17 2008 at 12:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Picviewer

So are they actually d/lable now? Noticed the freebies up tuesday night but when added to your cart it still showed up as unavailable when I last had iTunes running.

September 12 2008 at 12:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Picviewer's comment
Brett Love

I was able to download the three episodes I took the screenshots from without any trouble. I also have the Eureka premiere.

September 12 2008 at 1:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gina

I don't know if downloading in HD is really worth it.

September 11 2008 at 4:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim

I just hope no one on Comcast wants to download a lot of HD television from itunes in addition to their other internet traffic...

September 11 2008 at 1:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply