April 23, 2014

I'd need a hole in my head to watch Hole in the Wall every week

by Jason Hughes, posted Sep 11th 2008 7:28PM
Hole in the Wall
I love quirky and unique game shows as much as the next guy, but can you really base a whole show off of people trying to fit their bodies into a shape in a wall before they get pushed into a pool of water? FOX thinks so, with their new game show Hole in the Wall. I know it's a huge hit overseas, I just don't get why. Maybe if the challenge were just one of several different types of challenges in a show, it'd be more compelling.

If every week on Survivor the challenge was to stand on a pole out in the water until you were the last man standing ... every week the same thing ... I think that show would have gone off the air a long time ago. And yet, FOX seems to think we can watch this for an hour a week and keep tuning in. Of course, we keep tuning into Deal or No Deal which is basically just picking briefcases so maybe we can.

I recorded the sneak preview after Fringe a couple of nights ago and watched it last night. After a few minutes, everything about the show started to annoy me. First there are those bizarre silver almost-spandex outfits the contestants wear. And the contestants themselves are so over-the-top and "enthusiastic" they seem almost scripted. Oh, and I had to mute the show because if I heard Mark Thompson try one more time to make a catchphrase out of "It's time to face the hole!" I was going to book a flight to Hollywood and turn his face into a hole!

There was nothing about this show that would make me want to watch it every week. Even Brooke Burns wasn't a hot enough distraction. The only curiosity factor for me, and I found myself scanning through all the crap to get to it, was the opportunity to see the next wall and see if they can get through it. Which means I can probably watch the whole thing in less than five minutes. But maybe it's just me. Maybe this is the next great American game show.

Did you catch the preview? Are you tuning in again tonight to the true premiere (8/7pm Central Time)? Are you building a giant "Hole in the Wall" set in your backyard so you can train to be on the show? I did see a clip of an episode where they had a fat girl facing the wall, and the shape in the wall was one that she would never be able to do because of her size. Isn't that discrimination? She should sue!

John

You know why it is popular overseas? Here is why!

Do we see the difference here? Overseas they have HOT girls in bikinis. Here we have fat guys in spandex. Need I say more...

September 14 2008 at 11:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
vacelts

I agree with you. The show left me feeling like I had a hole in my head. I can't believe that I got sucked into watching in three separate times. I don't know why. But it's brain draining.

September 12 2008 at 5:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JW

I found the show to be boring, especially after watching Fringe. They should have went ahead and just made Fringe two hours instead. I think the concept of Hole in the Wall is a good idea, but it just looks like some local station took their studio and turned it into a game show and the green water? Why? Lets make it slime instead if it is going to be green. I and "Time to face the hole!" is pretty funny because it could really mean it is time to face the hole, or it could be taken the wrong way... but the show just needs something added to it. Maybe Regis Philbin?

September 12 2008 at 4:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ricky19

this show is a commercial show. i put it on this show during commercials from BB *which is over tuesday (go dan!!)* and stuff like that i would never watch this show just straight out, cuz i'd probly just commit suicide.

September 12 2008 at 3:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

Lets not forget the wonderful production values of the Sunday episode. At one point when they were giving a rundown of a contestant on the "beer bellies" the screen graphics listed him on the "six pack" team. Its so bad that the directors and editors can't even watch the whole show close enough to catch such an obvious mistake.

September 12 2008 at 12:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chadwick hansford

Dude that was the dumbess funniest crap I have seen in a while. These people are so stupid I cannot help but laugh at them. That's the only reason to watch. These fat people trying to go thru these holes is a kill. It's not my fault they look awful in these suits. I mean come on guys you all laughed your ass off too. That fat girl tried to fit in that rectangle? I about pissed myself. However I could only suffer thru a half an hour before I started watching the disappointing True Blood.

September 12 2008 at 9:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matt

I have missed Phil Hartman so much that I couldn't help but love this show. It's hosted by Troy McClure! What's not to like?

September 12 2008 at 5:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John Stewart

If you get pushed into the pool of water it should contain some sort-of chemical to make the contestants sterile. That way, years from now, future generations won't have to endure or lower themselves to such outright stupidity.

September 12 2008 at 12:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Peanut

I've only seen commercials, so there's probably a rule about it, but wouldn't the best way to get through any of the walls be to dive straight at the middle of the hole?

September 11 2008 at 11:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Peanut's comment
Gig

No a rule against it just no one yet has not been too fat to do it.

Rerun's daughter has a striking resemblance to him.

September 12 2008 at 9:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jaems

Me too. It actually has a few good, laugh-out-loud moments when you do it this way.

peace.

September 12 2008 at 10:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim

I have developed the fast forward technique... Well ok I haven't "developed" it, but I fast forward through all of the filler they have, and just watch these people try and contort themselves through the holes... I got through last night's 30 min episode in 6 minutes. I do the same thing when American Gladiators is on.

September 11 2008 at 9:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply