December 22, 2014

Sons of Anarchy: Seeds

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Sep 11th 2008 8:24AM

Sons of Anarchy(S01E02) "I will not look the other way Jax." - Hale

I'm still on board with Sons of Anarchy, but there are just too many things that are rubbing me the wrong way. Much like my minor complaint on this season of The Shield, Jax's father's manuscript has reached the point of becoming über-important just like Cruz Pezuela's blackmail box (the one Mackey stole) without any solid explanation. One gets the feeling that without that manuscript, the story would just crumble.

If this thing is so important, then why didn't Gemma or Clay have it destroyed years ago? Did they even know it existed? It was just lying out in the open in the family storage unit. While I appreciate the tension that builds as Jax slowly reads one page at a time, I'm still unconvinced that when he gets to, I dunno, "page 86," that we're going to be that shocked when the inevitable bomb is dropped. Why else would Gemma want it so bad if there wasn't some horrible family secret buried in it?

Enough of my complaints though, because I really am trying to make an effort to enjoy Sons. I love the addition of Deputy Chief Hale and Chief Unser to the mix. Having only half of Charming's law in their pocket is already affecting how SAMCRO runs business and I like Hale as the thorn in Clay's side. He seems like a resourceful guy and I hope that Unser staying in his post for an additional six months doesn't derail Hale's motivation to destroy SAMCRO. Isn't there some other city official he could speak to? Someone else who would find Unser's decision to pull men from the warehouse fire site suspicious? Especially when Hale can attest to there being two bodies missing now.

I'm also really digging the simmering feud between Tara and Gemma. Why do they hate each other so much? What did Gemma do or say to Tara before she left Charming? If she's as good a pediatrics doctor as she says she is, then I doubt very much that she came back to Charming just for the job. She could have worked anywhere and she returns to the one place she hates? Clearly she and Jax have a past, but I'm waiting for a bomb to drop here too. She's either up to something or she knows something. Gemma definitely looked a little shaken when Tara pegged her as the one who slipped Wendy the needle. She acted tough, but she was worried.

More thoughts...

• Anyone else notice that Piney rides with an oxygen tank on his bike?
  • I'd like to think the the Lodi police department (neighboring town of Charming) is semi-competent, so won't they see right through the set-up? Dead white guy, dead Mexican driver, and someone else's blood all over the place? Plus, the "M+N=Blood" threat on the window? Mayans plus Nords. I'm sure it will tip the cops in the right direction and Darby will surely get some of the heat since it is his SUV... but I need to see how this plays out first before I say yay or nay.
  • How about Emily? She's so desperate for one of the SAMCRO guys to take her in as their own, that she'll do anything for them. Even screw the guy that cremates people. That's... love?
  • I wonder if Wendy will actually remember anything when she comes out of sedated detox?
  • Think Jax or Chibs will get tied to the mini-mart incident? Guy takes an ax to the head and I'd hope all angle would be explored. Jax must have left some blood or hair during the fight.
  • I imagine we can expect Opie to do something foolish in the near future to make some cash. He's acting awfully whiny (as his Dad Piney said) and desperate. Plus, Donna is really breathing down his back, so that's uncomfortable too.

Next week, I'm hoping for things to ratchet up another notch. The episode, "Fun Town" features the addition of Jay Karnes (Dutch on The Shield) to the cast. He plays Tara's ex-boyfriend... and he's an ATF agent. Don't want one of those guys around when you're smuggling guns.

Which feud do you think is the most important right now?
Gemma and Tara72 (37.9%)
Hale and SAMCRO51 (26.8%)
Opie and Donna8 (4.2%)
SAMCRO and The Nords59 (31.1%)

Kim

Donna killed I never saw that coming at all!

November 21 2008 at 12:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kim

Just keep it coming....like others I am absorbed in the story line.
There are so many stories going on in this show ....What will happen
next?
What will the mother of Jax's baby coming back to the story mean for
Jax and the good Dr.?
I'll be waiting for the next part of this story!

November 18 2008 at 8:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kim

Just keep it coming....like others I am absorbed in the story line. There are so many stories going on in this show ....What will happen next?
What will the mother of Jax's baby coming back to the story mean for Jax and the good Dr.?
I'll be waiting for the next part of this story!

November 18 2008 at 8:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
weightloss

Sons of Anarchy rocks! Next best thing to the Sopranos, the only way it could be better is for it to be on HBO.

October 25 2008 at 12:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
robert

I love the show! I watch it back to back. It take's a lot of gut's to make a series like this. I just hope you keep it coming for a long time to come. I was just trying to firgure out is SAMCRO just the gang or a person. keep the show roling.

October 24 2008 at 9:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kim

I have started watching this show with great delite. I have been sucked into the story line and just cannot get enough. I have found myself waiting for that once a week fix. For some reason it is intoxicating. I will watch it maybe 2 a week just because I want more. Please keep the story coming, good job. I'll be waiting for every show

October 15 2008 at 11:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
judieharris

To Gemmma the manuscript wouldn't be important because she believe in what her current husband is doing and would never think that Jax would question his stepfather To her this is the past and not relavent she expects Jax to be a good soldier and in time take what she see is his rightful place in the family business However whoever make the comment about the embalmed bodies was right unless they were Jewish and I sincerely doubt that

September 27 2008 at 12:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
D-Bo

Too bad TVSquad now acts like the series doesn't exist. No further updates and they don't even include it in the "What's on Tonight" posts...

September 24 2008 at 5:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Libby

I totally agree with Kyle, I hope the show is allowed to continue, and I and others have anything to say about it, it will. The show is playing out to really release bombs, that we can only imagine is going to come from what, we as viewers can only observe from the show, yet as most great shows, they want us to think that is the way it will happen, yet either way it will be great and make us want to look forward to next episode. True lovers will watch weekly reruns, just to stay close and true to the show.

September 21 2008 at 12:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kyle

I think this is a really good show. If you're looking for realism in television, you're hard pressed to find it. 24, CSI, any successful show is mostly implausible. Sons is no different. The way the writers are weaving the stories to gether is very good. To all the other commenters, I suggest visiting the show webpage on FX's website, as you can see the vision that the writers have for the club and show. It helps clarify things a little more.

September 19 2008 at 9:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply