April 24, 2014

You have some questions about Fringe, so here are some answers

by Bob Sassone, posted Sep 11th 2008 3:41PM
Fringe
Maybe it's because of Lost, but TV viewers seem to be interested in the secrets behind a show at an accelerated rate these days. For example, there has only been one episode of Fringe so far but viewers are already wondering about the what the big secret is, what's going on with Blair Brown's robotic arm, who is going to play William Bell, why there's a cow in the lab, whether or not people can be reanimated on the show, and (most importantly) when Heroes star and J.J. Abrams buddy Greg Grunberg is going to show up as a janitor or a corpse. Well, TV Guide has some of the answers for you.

Yes, some SPOILERS are ahead, so click with caution.

Producer Roberto Orci answered some big questions for TV Guide, though he was also careful enough not to give too much away. Some highlights:

- Those symbols that are show before commercial breaks (the frog, the leaf, etc) actually have something to do with what's going on, but it's more the order that they're shown rather than some secret in the logo.

- The person who will play William Bell doesn't know that they are going to play him yet. No idea what this means, though Orci doesn't say if it's a man or a woman. I wonder if we've already seen the Bell character on the show and we just don't know it yet?

- Mark Valley might be dead, he might not be. When Brown said "question him" at the end, it doesn't necessarily mean he's alive, it could just mean that they can go inside and read his thoughts if they do it within six hours of him dying.

- Blair Brown's robotic arm is incredibly cool, though it doesn't have any super capabilities.

I wonder why Olivia didn't find out that Agent Scott was a bad guy when she hooked up with his brain. You would think that if she was inside there she would have seen/heard some thoughts he was thinking. I guess he could control those thoughts when he saw his lover inside his head, walking around. Oh, damn, Olivia's here. Don't think about being a bad guy! Don't think about being a bad guy!

Karen

I thought the pilot was dreadful--boring and stupid--but I did laugh at the Princess Bride allusion with the 6-hours thing. Scott's not really dead until 6 hours have passed, "He's only MOSTLY dead!"

That they didn't introduce the "pattern" until 75 minutes into the show was an absolute crime of pacing (rather than Pacey). I was already bored.

And Anna Torv really needs to find some other way of conveying emotion besides knitting her brows.

But they can do what they want--I won't be back.

September 12 2008 at 11:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

I think the show will be canceled before we get any answers, besides if he is dead or not because he clearly isn't.

The ratings weren't that good, so unless word of mouth is amazing for Sunday I don't see this show getting a season 2 unless there is a strike.

September 11 2008 at 11:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
maestro610

Sorry for two posts but I forgot to add this point in my earlier one. I think the symbols stand for "projects" developed initially at the Harvard laboratory and then perfected by William Bell @ Massive Dynamics. We know that they can communicate with the comatose or anyone dead less than 6 hours. So we got a glimpse of the Massive Dynamics official laboratory for communicating with the dead. Hopefully when we learn about new "technologies" we'll find the corresponding symbol at MD.

September 11 2008 at 8:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
maestro610

Did anyone else notice when Olivia was in the graveyard in the dream/coma questioning tank that there was a tombstone behind her that said, "He's Not Dead". I wonder if that's going to come into play later on.

I think we learned that the Leaf symbol stands for the questioning of the dead. Its where the orderly took the body when she said "question him". I know its an assumption but it seems to make sense to me.

September 11 2008 at 8:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Frank M.

Did anyone else notice the little strange add-ons to those
symbols like the hand having an extra finger & the apple core with two fetuses.

September 11 2008 at 5:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Boomstick

I think the shadowy figure running across the screen behind Olivia was meant to imply a hidden facet of Scott's mind. The deception behind her back. Or maybe not so symbolic and it was a little monkey butler cleaning up the evil deeds.

September 11 2008 at 5:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BC McKinney

I thought the symbols were also seen in the Massive Dynamics building, so their use as interstitial titles didn't seem remarkable, though it may have significance. The "Question him" also didn't seem remarkable because they had already referred to the ability to communicate with someone dead if it was soon enough after expiration.

What I want to know is why Joshua Jackson's character would find it useful to speak Farsi in Iraq, and why the other two men who had some official capacity with the pipeline project were speaking it.

September 11 2008 at 4:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gina

Sorry for the double comment!

September 11 2008 at 4:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gina

I was wondering what those symbols meant. With anything he does, JJ never makes it easy. I'm interested in this series, but I'm not jumping full speed ahead into the craziness yet.

September 11 2008 at 4:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gina

I was wondering what those symbols meant. With anything, JJ is never easy. This show is interesting, but I'm not sure if I'm jumping right into the complete craziness surrounding it yet.

September 11 2008 at 3:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply