April 19, 2014

Burn Notice: Double Booked

by Paul Goebel, posted Sep 12th 2008 8:25AM

Jeffrey Donovan(S02E08) I like it when old friends of the main character show up for a visit. Generally, because they inevitably give out some personal information. For example, it seems that Michael has had a fondness for yogurt for some time now. The other tidbit was that Michael didn't have such high moral fiber back when he was working for the government. I'm willing to bet it was the reconnection to his family and friends that brought him back from the dark side.

The other thing that visits from old friends bring us is cool guest stars. Tim Matheson doesn't work near enough for my tastes and to see him turn up as a douchebag ex-coworker of Michael's was fun.

Another bright spot of this episode was Amy Pietz whom I have been nuts about since she was the only watchable part of Caroline in the City. Pietz is that rare kind of actress that can make me believe her character and be smoking hot at the same time.

It's pretty clear by now that Michael is torn about his decision that he and Fiona remain friends and nothing more. The great part is that it gives Fi plenty of opportunities to rub that decision in his face. It's truly ironic how much Michael cares for Fi and yet she is an indispensable asset, therefore he has to keep their relationship as professional as he can. I guess he should feel lucky that Sam isn't a hot chick as well.

I found this particular assignment interesting because instead of kicking ass and outsmarting people, Michael was forced to play the protector, which is something he usually only does for his family. Of course, there's bound to be some kind of confrontation between Michael and Larry, but it seemed like it had been a long time since we'd seen Michael's softer side.

It's nice to see Zachary Bryan finally getting some work as an adult. I'm sure, like the others on Home Improvement, he never has to work again, but I admire a guy who will take such an unlikable role. It reminds me of all the evil parts Alan Alda took after he was done playing Hawkeye. Not that I'm comparing Brad Taylor to Hawkeye Pierce but you get the idea.

I loved the visit with the therapist. It's clear that he is completely useless but he will be a catalyst for Michael and Madeline getting closer. It's about time that they both realize they have more in common then meets the eye. That exterminator uniform should be evidence enough.

I wasn't too crazy about Fiona involving her new beau in the operation but I guess he'll need a really good reason to break it off with her, which he will eventually do. It's clear he doesn't have the stomach for that kind of excitement and I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being collateral damage in a future episode.

The conversation between Michael and Larry was awesomely creepy. I really hope Larry returns to cause more trouble. It'll be nice to see Michael have to deal with someone who he actually has to be wary of.

As for Bill the sniper and Carla, I can't wait to see what happens.

Would you like to see Tim Matheson return?
Yes273 (86.1%)
No44 (13.9%)

YouFaceTheTick

Sad how this show has turned into A-Team. I liked it originally - especially the first episode when he deftly killed a few people. Now it's all PG-13, the good guy with the heart of gold and no edge at all. At least this week we didn't have to hear any awful accents.

September 14 2008 at 12:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to YouFaceTheTick's comment
aaron

There have been times in the back of my head Tick that I have thoughts it may be going the "A-Team" route. But to defend BN and explain something in the wee hours of the mourning:

First, he didn't kill anybody in the first episode. He shot on guy in the leg and used one guy to shield himself from a shot. The pilot was different from all others from tone to accents (IRA accent Fiona is gone for good). If you mean accents that Mikey and Fi use for different jobs, than I don't see your problem. Mikey used a Texan accent and it was pretty good and not over the top...and I'm from Texas.

Second, Michael must grow as a character and that means softening up. He was the best killer at one point it seems but those that used his talents eventually burned him. He has asked himself if he had killed the wrong person thus being burned. Now he must walk carefully...or alienate the well-sized female fanbase and no more seasons. It's more of a guy show but it really is show for everyone.

Give it another chance, Tick. It's in good hands and the exec who got alot of credit for starting the show and others got promoted big time. BN is one of her babies and she will keep a close eye on it.

September 14 2008 at 6:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marty

I agree with David.

Larry was talking about fabricated events from Michael's falsified dossier. He was probably projecting some of his own personality traits on Michael as well, since he believed they were so much alike.

I think Michael's moral fiber is, and always has been, as strong as it gets.

September 12 2008 at 11:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ed Venture

I noticed in the credits that Tim Matheson directed the episode as well. He did a good job on both fronts.

September 12 2008 at 9:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Ed Venture's comment
Chip Douglas

I thought Tim Matheson did a great job as well. The pacing was a little different than some of the other shows. I think having guest stars and guest directors always help a show.

September 12 2008 at 10:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dec2006

I really thought that Matheson went a wee bit over the top. I think he could have reigned it in a bit and still brought the creepy.

I too love Amy Pietz and her hotness!

September 12 2008 at 5:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David Marcoe

"The other tidbit was that Michael didn't have such high moral fiber back when he was working for the government. I'm willing to bet it was the reconnection to his family and friends that brought him back from the dark side."

I didn't get that impression at all. What Larry was referring to was what he perceived as the potential he saw in Michael to be like him, which was apparently confirmed when he read his (faked) burn file. Michael, from his tone, obviously thought he was full of it.

It's been mentioned several times before that Michael got into the spy trade "to help people." Both Sam and Fiona have used that to remind Michael and get him to help when he was reluctant to. But Larry's comments about Michael really struck home when he talked to his mother, who said she had forged his father's signature to allow him to join the military so that he "could focus on something good," as he "could've turned out differently" and ended up in prison. Thus, he came to the realization about himself that he could've have ended up like Larry, save for the choice his mother made.

September 12 2008 at 8:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to David Marcoe's comment
oshmady

agreed ... Larry was referring to what he had read in Michael's burn file, which had been completely fabricated

September 12 2008 at 10:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nattyff

Yes, i got that impression too.

September 13 2008 at 11:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply