April 23, 2014

Vote for the best Mad Men impersonator

by Bob Sassone, posted Sep 12th 2008 5:26PM
Vincent KartheiserAMC.com has been holding a contest for the past few months where they asked fans of Mad Men to send in video tapes where they re-enact a scene from the show. The network supplied the specific scene and script and you had to film your version of it. They got tons of entries. Here are the 18 finalists.

Almost all of them are quite good, and you can see that many of these people could be actors (not that a few of them aren't already). My favorites are actually the ones where a male will take a scene featuring a female like Betty, Joan, or Peggy and really recreate the scene. Jacob Crumbine's video is in the lead right now, and it's great. Even if Mad Men didn't exist, I'd watch whatever show this was. Rebecca De Ornelas recreates one of Betty's psychiatrist office scenes and does it very well. Mike Kimmel does the same scene and he's a natural. Valerie Long's drunken chat with a lamp works too. Sabina Maschi's entry is very, very clever.

You also get to see Roger Sterling as a vampire, telling a werewolf he has a nice ass.

The voting ends this Monday, so get clickin'. The winner gets a free trip to Los Angeles, $100 a day for food and transportation, and (most importantly) a walk-on role in a season three episode of the show. I should have entered, but I don't think I could have done as well as these folks.

deebopalula

Sabina - Don't go changin, just to please me.

Actually, when I read your posts now, I "hear" them in your accent so you know what that means? Well it means you're a star, baby! You're going to go far in this town, kid!

p.s. I'm going to go back and give your clip a vote. You've earned it! Mwah!

September 13 2008 at 3:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to deebopalula's comment
sabina maschi

Dear Debopalula,
Why thank you ever so much for the vote! It tickles me fondly that you used your index finger so wisely today!
What marvelously sound advice you have given me.
It's time for my daily speech practice: "The rain in Spain stays mainly in the plain".
Dutifully yours,
The Perfect Secretary

September 13 2008 at 7:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sabina maschi

Dear Depopalula,
Thank you so much for your kind comments both on my etiquette film page and on this delightful page! Stay tuned to my categorized responce list!
A good secretary must always double up as a fine actress. We have to act all day long: "Why yes my boss has just popped out for a quick cigarette".
I would absolutely consider a walk on role on "Mad Men". My skill set goes beyond the stylized acting of etiquette videos!
And I would even be able to drop that accent that you are not so keen on ;) !
Dutifully Yours,
The Perfect Secretary
ps: why are you casting?! Now that would indeed be a real hoot!

September 13 2008 at 2:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sabina maschi

my goodness! what a delightfully efficient gentleman you are!
Thank you so much for fixing the error so swiftly!
Dutifully Yours,
The Perfect Secretary

September 12 2008 at 11:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob Sassone

Sabina,

Thanks for the comment, all fixed.

September 12 2008 at 11:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sabina maschi

Dear Mr. Sassone,
I am delighted that you think my film is clever x 2! How marvelous! Thank you so much. A Perfect Secretary is very detail oriented and must always alert a boss if he has accidentally made a mistake. I do hope you won't take offence but you spelt my name wrong. While I love Ms. Hepburn in Sabrina, my name does not contain an R. It would be an awful shame if people started looking to the wrong person for etiquette advice!
Thank you again for kindly mentioning me in your article which is most splendid!
Dutifully Yours,
The Perfect Secretary

September 12 2008 at 10:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to sabina maschi's comment
deebopalula

Sabina - You are an absolute hoot! If you ever decide to give up secretarial work, I hope you will consider being an actress. Perhaps you would consider a walk on role in "Mad Men", season 3? :-)

September 13 2008 at 9:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Katie

Haven't seen any of the entries yet, but I'm happy to see that one of the prizes is a walk-on role in the following season which has obviously not even begun yet. It might not be an *official* renewal by AMC, but that's pretty good confidence in the continuation of Mad Men, no?

September 12 2008 at 9:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kara

Doesn't it seem like order on the page is having a fairly big effect on votes, though? I wish they had made it so it re-orders randomly every time the page is loaded. I mean, I think Jacob Crumbine did well, but so did Robert Manning, Jr, Elizabeth Reynolds, Sabina Maschi... I feel like a lot of the people who go to that website aren't making it down as far as they are on the page.

September 12 2008 at 6:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Kara's comment
deebopalula

I made it to the bottom - which was good because one of the best was posted way down there - Avis Wrentmore as "Joan" (Avis Wrentmore - can that possibly be a real name?). I also loved Robert Manning, Valerie, Sabina, Mike Kimmel, Elizabeth Reynolds.....

Oh heck - give 'em ALL walk on roles!

September 13 2008 at 9:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply