August 20, 2014

Shocking news! Fey to play Palin on SNL tonight!

by Joel Keller, posted Sep 13th 2008 2:10PM
Sarah Palin and Tina FeyIn what can only be labeled as the "shock of the decade," Richard Huff of the New York Daily News has reported that Tina Fey will return to Saturday Night Live tonight to play Sarah Palin, the Republican vice presidential nominee.

I've gotta tell ya, as far as the surprise factor is concerned, this ranks right up there with fall of the Berlin Wall and the Challenger explosion. I mean, Fey looks nothing like Palin. That's especially true when she's wearing her glasses; I can't seem to see any resemblance at all between the two at all in that case.

But I guess Lorne Michaels thought that Fey was the best person for the job, and asked her to take some time from knocking out 30 Rock episodes to play this woman. Maybe she'll be able to pull off the impression, though I can't imagine how.

jaerisk

well it WAS funny and Tina looked and sounded exactly like Gov. Palin....so open mouth insert foot. Oh yea and Tina Fey is hot.

September 14 2008 at 4:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
az

September 14 2008 at 9:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will

I only watched the first few minutes of SNL tonight, but for a minute there, I thought it Really WAS Palin. No kidding, I thought she was spot-on. After staring at her for a minute, I realized it was Fey but, man, with her hair up like Palin's, she could pass for her easily.

September 14 2008 at 7:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
G-Man

Joel-maybe your next attempt at lame humor and cheap laughs will be more successful if you don't reference a national tragedy in which good people died. Just a hunch. And just because it was 22 years ago doesn't make the event any less tragic. By that logic, Joel has 15 years to go until he can joke about 9-11.

September 13 2008 at 11:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

Poor, poor taste, Joel.

September 13 2008 at 10:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JBCheese

is there any chance at all this blog can get any more political over the next two months? everyone needs to do something to stop these two hacks from stealing the election and continuing the disastrous policies of the Cheney/Bush administration.

September 13 2008 at 7:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to JBCheese's comment
Cincinnati Mike

JB's right...we need a COMMUNITY ORGANIZER around here to slow the rising of the ocean and to cool the earth. And, if he's got any time left, teach us the meaning of humor and irony, since StillBash is so lonely.

One more piece of advice: when your guy has totally peaked and the wheels are coming off the Hope-mobile, sixty days out is NOT too early to start screaming about the other guys "stealing the election."

September 14 2008 at 8:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LC

"are you trying to say that Harry Plopper from the Simpsons Movie has more experience the Sarah Palin? At least he didn't try to ban books."

I get not wanting someone in office based on experience or policy, but geez, don't base it on internet myths. They are just as stupid as the Muslim comments about Obama. It has already been debunked. No one tried to ban books.

September 14 2008 at 9:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matthew Golem

I think Casey Wilson should have gotten it. Will Fred Armisen continue to do the world's worst Obama, or will Lorne break down and hire a black person?

September 13 2008 at 7:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
greenmullet

They look alike. But Fey is hotter, and has more experience to be VP.

September 13 2008 at 7:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to greenmullet's comment
StillBash

I love it that half the commentators don't get irony and the other half doesn't get funny.

September 13 2008 at 5:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
4 replies to StillBash's comment
Cincinnati Mike

I'm not going to make any predictions, but I expect this to be about as funny as her minute-long anti-Bush rants that would stop Weekend Update in its tracks. Followed by the whooping of the crowd that says "that wasn't funny, but Bush IS a dick."

Oddly, I am a big 30 Rock fan.

September 13 2008 at 5:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply