April 23, 2014

Mad Men: A Night To Remember - VIDEO

by Bob Sassone, posted Sep 15th 2008 12:33AM

(S02E08) "Crab, Duck. Duck, Crab." - Roger, introducing Crab to Duck.

I have a 12-pack of Heineken in my fridge right now. I don't drink it, but my roommate does. So it's fun to see the Sterling Cooper gang going after the beer company.

But can I say that I don't get Betty's reaction at the party when it came to the beer? Sure, this is just one more thing that she feels Don "deceives" her about, but I don't think he was doing anything particularly bad to her. What is nasty are the boldfaced lies that he tells her when she confronts him about his affair with Bobbie. Though I wonder, what else can he do? I know, I know, tell the truth. But given what the truth is, he probably feels that he has to lie or he's going to be that guy in the credits, falling from the sky as his world collapses beneath him.

Some more observations:

- I'm really enjoying the plotline with Harry and his TV department. I feel really bad for Joan. She wants to go on to bigger things, maybe even be like Peggy, and Harry is completely clueless about it and just hires someone else. He can't see the pain in her face? I also love Ken's line to Harry after Harry said "I didn't know it was job," the funny "How could that be? You made that job up."

- This episode is jam-packed with products and the names of old TV shows: Heineken, Utz Chips, The ABC Sunday Night Movie, Maytag, Make Room For Daddy, Love Of Life. It's one of the reasons I love this show. (And yes, Pride was a real furniture polish.)

- Betty breaking the chair ranks up there with her bird-shooting and Don putting his hand up Bobbie's dress as one of the more bizarre scenes in this show's short history.

- I'm officially bored with the whole Peggy and the Priest storyline. Though if it leads somehow to Pete finding out about the baby then it might be worth sticking through (though I do love the jarring images of Father Gill walking around the offices of Sterling Cooper - great line by Pete about Miracle Whip.

- If the whole priest thing doesn't work out, Father could have a career like Elvis Presley or Ricky Nelson.

- I know Mark Moses is still a guest star officially, but I hope his character sticks around (though for some reason I doubt it - just a feeling).

- LOL moment: Roger waiting for Harry to open the office door.

- Sally's dance is awful. I think she's still drinking. Hic!

- This whole plot with Don and Betty is really eating away at me. I think I've said before that I'm hoping for a Rob and Laura Petrie thing going, but Rob never cheated on Laura repeatedly and then lied to her about it. And Laura never drank too much wine and went into their closet and smelled his jackets and looked for clues to his infidelity. It's funny how we went through the entire first season with Betty not knowing and the Draper marriage being rather good and solid (on the surface anyway), and now we seem to be speeding towards some really nasty break-up or at least a huge shift in the Don/Betty dynamic. The Betty we knew in the first season would have never talked back to Don in quite this way or told him not to come home. She gets in some great digs at him (and at Bobbie: "How could you, she's so old.")

More than anything, I just want Don to keep it in his pants and realize what he has. But there's probably not as much drama in that story.

If Don admits to the affair, will everything be OK with Betty?
Yes, she'll forgive him and move on.31 (7.2%)
Nope. She'll stay married, but hold it over him.402 (92.8%)

Georgia

What happened to the review for 9/28?

October 01 2008 at 9:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
yesim

hello everybody.will i ask something. what is madmen' music? the
music is effect me.
Please certain answer my question... :)))

September 28 2008 at 10:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
yesim

hello everybody.will i ask something. what is madmen' music? the
music is effect me.
Please certain answer my question... :)))

September 28 2008 at 10:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
yesim

hello everybody.will i ask something. what is madmen' music? the music is effect me.
Please certain answer my question... :)))

September 28 2008 at 10:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
R. Reed

I suggest this episode is generally about the baggage the women carry around with them and how it wears them down. For Betty, its the happy homelife facade, which finally cracked when Jimmy confronted her with the fact of Don's infidelity. For Peggy, its her secret sin, which the priest came very close to getting her to face up to. I was astonished at the fleeting turmoil that flashed across her face and how she recovered to send the priest on his way with the photocopies.

And for Joan, its her sex object image that she's cultivated her entire career. She can't overcome it even when she demonstrates some real value to the firm with the script review assignment. This sexual baggage is literally chafing at her shoulders.

BTW, where was Jane?

September 19 2008 at 1:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
NWSkier

Has anybody else wondered if there's a backstory with the priest and abuse of young boys? When we met him for the first time earlier in the season, Peggy had more or less caught him in the act of 'disciplining' a couple of young boys. Maybe I was seeing something that wasn't really there, but it looked suspicious to me. Just curious if anyone else had a reaction to that scene.

September 17 2008 at 2:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff

I'm glad to see Joan is waking up. Nice touch: Joan literally chafing in her harness. There's a reason Peggy dresses like "like a little girl": it's more comfortable.

September 16 2008 at 5:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Georgia

I have always wanted to like Don, but watching this episode, I hated him. He was such a jerk acting like she was crazy for saying he was screwing around - and being so indignant about it.

They gave Joan's "new" job to some guy who doesn't have a clue and she's supposed to train him! Like she would not like to make $150. I'm sure that's many dollars above her secretarial pay. And the fiance' that wants the "little woman" at home not using her brain.

Geez... this episode really showed how men USED to be so clueless. They USED to be that way, right? Certainly men don't think that way today??

September 15 2008 at 9:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tammy

To Betty, the whole beer thing was like being the butt of a joke. She mentioned everyone laughing at her. She wants to be a partner to Don, to help him with his work, so to find out that she had fallen for one of his marketing scams and everyone knew about it, that hurt.

Betty doesn't feel like she has anyone on her side. She thought Don was back to being the husband she expected and she was being included in his work life but that was shattered. She wants attention, she wants to be noticed, she likes feeling her age instead of a Mom of two. She tried to ignore what Jimmy told her but it's in the back of her mind as she stages this perfect dinner for Don, showing him why he should love and want her more than anyone else. Of course she was pissed about the whole beer thing.... it's her world, it's where she shines, and they laughed at her. It's the straw that broke the camels back.

Haven't you ever had a bad week where everything went wrong and when you get home one day, your kid or your spouse says something stupid or silly that just throws you over the edge? It could be you forgot to get the milk or you trip over a toy and you just blow. It's not that one thing that made you upset, it was all the things leading up to it.

September 15 2008 at 5:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Tammy's comment
Saragee

Beautiful observation Tammy! I felt the same way about Betty just having had enough and going over the edge at being laughed at. I also thought that her breaking the chair was frustration because it was probably one of the things she wanted Don to do before this party which of course he ignored.

September 16 2008 at 9:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
StillBash

Oh and the beer was a setup for her telling him she knows about the affair. That's how women work.

*chuckle*