October 22, 2014

Spaceballs: The Animated Series promo available online

by Brad Trechak, posted Sep 15th 2008 12:03PM
SpaceballsIt was reported way back in 2006 that Spaceballs was being made into an animated series. Well, the wait is over. The promo is available online (It's definitely NSFW. It's also in Quicktime format and not embedded in a Flash application like you usually see nowadays). Further details of the show can be found on the official G4 site (Please note the series has already been shown on Canada's Super Channel).

I have a sick mind that laughs at things aimed at the lowest common denominator, so I found the promo to be funny. The animated Princess Vespa is certainly more, uh, accented than Daphne Zuniga was in the original movie (talk about Major Boobage).

I'm ecstatic that Mel Brooks himself is providing the voices of his characters from the movie in the animated version. This has been in development for a long time. I'm a tremendous fan of the original movie (and of Brooks' work in general) so I can only hope and pray that this doesn't suck on the level of the animated Clone Wars.

nickmagoo

spaceballs a "classic"??? sheeeeesh...sure, it has a few laughs in it, but it was the beginning of the end for brooks - now it's just loads of lazy jokes and obvious sight gags rather than a loving reworking of a classic genre.

after stone cold masterpieces like 'the producers,' 'young frankenstein' and 'blazing saddles,' and the more hit and miss (but still solid) 'silent movie,' of 'high anxiety' and 'history of the world, pt 1,' 'spaceballs' felt tired and uninspired. sadly, outside of his remake of 'to be or not to be,' i haven't REALLY liked a mel brooks movie since the late 70s...

September 16 2008 at 5:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Arc|Angel

I guess your getting this late in the states? The series has been on in Canada for at least a couple of months. I gave it a chance finally last week and it was pretty awful :

September 15 2008 at 6:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gina

I was just talking about Spaceballs with someone the other day, and I had no idea a series was being made. I'll wait on my opinion until I see the first episode.

September 15 2008 at 4:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rhode

I agree with Elf 100%. But after just seeing the trailer, I am very disapointed knowing that my oldest son (13) should not be seeing an NC-17 version of the very funny and classic, Spaceballs. What a shame. This could have been such a comedy that could easily have gotten a pg-13 rating if loosely based on the original, but has to be taken lower down the ladder since most guys watching G4 live in their mother's basement playing online-games.

September 15 2008 at 3:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sam

Uh, have you ever see Blazing Saddles? Or Dracula: Dead And Loving It? Or Robin Hood: Men In Tights?

September 15 2008 at 3:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
smashthesymbols

I really hope that's not actually what the series will be like. Hopefully that's just G4's marketing department knowing who their viewers are and shaping the promo to fit. Mel isn't above a tit joke here and there, but surely he wouldn't make them the entire show.

September 15 2008 at 2:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jazza

I was disappointed with it, but will wait until I've seen the first episode

September 15 2008 at 2:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

The animation looks very nice, which is a lot more than I can say about most cartoons/animee.

September 15 2008 at 12:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply