October 24, 2014

The Closer: Time Bomb (season finale)

by Allison Waldman, posted Sep 16th 2008 8:24AM
Kyra the closer(S04E10) For the season finale, The Closer came up with an episode that was packed with a little bit of everything. There was high drama and suspense, real danger, inappropriate humor and gripping emotion. It wasn't a perfect blend of elements.

In fact, at times I was put off by the chicanery. However, there's an old adage in show business (or maybe it's just movies?) that says, audiences will forgive you for anything if you give them a good finish. The Closer delivered by that measure in every respect. The big climax reveals are after the jump, so if you haven't watched the show yet, you've been warned.

The seriousness of the episode was really serious. The seemingly strange actions of some Valley Oak high schoolers were tied to the original victim, a guy who'd blown himself up with a pipe bomb. In this first act, even as fear of the building going up in an explosion was real, Brenda's comical exasperation was disarming.

She was literally carried out of the building by Sanchez because she didn't want to stop investigating, and then defied every L.A.P.D. rule by sneaking back into the building for her purse. In Brenda's defense, I might have done that myself. Losing your purse is a bitch. Still, you know she knows better.

That funny business was then topped by the toilet humor as the squad learned how the deceased had once defecated on the principal's desk. After some bad jokes, the investigation went to Ridgemont High-circa 21st century, where the prime suspect turned out to be Johnny McFadden, a kid with a stash of pipe bombs and propane tanks, bulletproof vests and high powered rifles in the family garage. "So much for involved parents."

The creepiest scene of the show was McFadden's interrogation. You just knew something untoward was going on, and it was more than the fact that Johnny was stoned and taunting Brenda. He gave them no information, which was frustrating. If anything, he mislead them.

Also, it was never explained how he got the chocolate. Usually a suspect gets nothing. I wonder, did they provide him with the catalyst to commit suicide by letting him buy a candy bar from the vending machine?

The tragedy at Columbine comes back into the story when Fritz explains how the killers that day in Colorado had not achieved their objective. But it's Brenda's skills of observation coincided with her bad sense of direction that helps her figure out that the target of the bombs wasn't the school but the mall. By then, it was too late to stop the remaining Valley Oak kid from trying to succeed where the Columbine boys failed.

The climax at the mall was action packed, dangerous and lethal. The shooter was heavily armored so despite rounds of bullets being fired at him, he didn't go down. I kept wondering why nobody was aiming at his head, but I know cops are trained to shoot at the body. Still, I wanted to blow his head off.

In the melee, Sanchez saved Provenza's life, but took three shots in the process. Brenda and company finally blew up the shooter's duffle bag full of pipe bombs to kill him as he was going to reload.

A helicopter swooped down and Sanchez and Brenda were loaded on for a fast trip to the hospital. The unresolved ending begs the question -- did Sanchez follow Brenda's direct order to keep breathing and will he still be with the squad when The Closer returns this winter for some holiday episodes?

Other points of interest

-- Brenda telling Gabriel to try not to look so much like a cop when they go to the McFadden house, so he introduces himself as Mr. G, everyone's favorite chemistry teacher.

-- Did you catch the SoyJoy product placement? Then they ran a commercial.

-- Will Pope was back in uniform to meet the press, and as usual for Pope, he's too fast to wrap up the case and make everything look neat and tidy.

-- The bomb-disabling robot was called Babs, named for Saint Barbara, the patron saint of bomb techs according to Tao. It was probably a very accurate representation of a robot, but it sure looked like something you might make with an erector set.

-- It was funny how much Brenda disliked the mall and the idea of shopping for home goods. Fritz was ready to pick out wall paper swatches.
Is Provenza to blame for Sanchez getting shot?
Yes52 (9.8%)
No442 (83.1%)
I'm not sure38 (7.1%)

Ronald Bergeson

You advertise Full videos of The Closer. However the Season Final is not available at the full video. -Please tell me exactly how that happened.

Your help will be appreciatedl

Ron

October 24 2008 at 2:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
La-Di-Dah

i finally, finally caught the summer fin. i loved it - asothers have said, for its humor, the drama, and Sanchez better be back!

September 27 2008 at 11:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cathy

I love this show, and I actually loved the last episode it showed lots of the characters personalities and yet there were some interesting twists and turns. Fritz is trying to get Brenda thinking about a wedding and buying a house.
Hince the wallpaper.

I hope Sanchez is back. I like his character.

September 26 2008 at 1:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cathy

OK, yes Flynn said to go for head shots, but after that, when the kid was running for the bag and they all began shooting, Brenda yelled "shoot the bag, shoot the bag!", so that's why all the shots were at the bag.

September 19 2008 at 8:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim Kosmicki

my wife and I finally saw this episode last night. I don't believe that McFadden was running for his computer. I'm not sure that they even showed his computer. He was running to his room to swallow the bottle of pills. That's why the last shot in the room was of the empty bottle on the floor.

September 19 2008 at 10:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jana

I'm pretty sure there was a Soyjoy placement a few episodes ago, too.

September 18 2008 at 1:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CRVBOY

It's also entirely possible that they hit the bag numerous times, but it would take a specific hit to the pipe bomb in the right spot for it to explode, wouldn't it?

September 17 2008 at 9:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TurnersTreasures

FANS of THE CLOSER, PLEASE READ!

Turner Broadcasting System has been generous enough to donate a promotional item that was used as BRENDA'S BAG from THE CLOSER!
This bag will go on sale on eBay sometime this week.

REMEMBER this bag was used a promotional premium and CANNOT BE FOUND IN STORES!!
A CERTIFICATE of AUTHENTICITY will also be enclosed to the winning bidder.

CHECK OUT OUR OTHER EBAY STORES:

CARTOON NETWORK CLOSET
stores.ebay.com/Cartoon-Network-Closet

ADULT SWIM CLOSET

September 17 2008 at 3:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to TurnersTreasures's comment
johngaltx

Smells like comment SPAM to me...take your E**y ads and head on down the road.

September 17 2008 at 5:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jan Crump

I don't understand why people have to pick TV shows apart. It's called "entertainment" for a reason. I absolutely love this show and all the characters on it. The jokes about the poop on the principals desk were hilarious, they have offered people drinks for snacks in the interrogation room in the past, Brenda is fanatical about her purse and getting things when people tell her she can't have them, Fritz is thinking wallpaper cause he's hinting it's time to buy a house, and the closeness and interlocking relationship of each of the people was played on spot. I thoroughly enjoyed this episode, but I watch it solely for entertainment - not to dissect later. I do hope Sanchez makes it cause he is one of my favorites and it'd be different without him. I love this show and wish them all well, and can't wait for the next episodes - be it season finale/opener or just extra episodes - I'll watch and continue to enjoy. It doesn't matter what they call it!

September 17 2008 at 2:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Laura

I LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!

For the over the top humor - for the goofiness, for the love the squad obviously has for one another - and for the quircky, relationship Brenda and Fritzy have.

I thought this was a great season finale for this particular season...can't wait for January.

September 17 2008 at 11:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply