September 22, 2014

Weeds: If You Work for a Living, Why Do You Kill Yourself Working? (season finale)

by Erin Martell, posted Sep 16th 2008 10:12AM
Mary-Louise Parker(S04E13) The final shocking revelation of the season--which wasn't so shocking, if you heard the rumors--made me want to write off the Weeds season finale as unimaginative. To offer up such a commonplace TV twist, and to do it in the last moments of the episode, was definitely not original.

As season finales go, this episode wasn't legendary (I'll never regard that word the same way again, thanks to Doug). However, there were a few scenes that gave us the Weeds we've always loved, and I'd like to believe that the show's distinct, dark humor will have a stronger presence next season.

Let's start with the major plot twist: Nancy is pregnant. The sonogram came down from on high and saved her life. I'll admit that I've been in denial about this twist since I read the spoilers for the finale. An unexpected pregnancy isn't the sort of thing that Weeds usually does, and it doesn't really compare to the destruction of Agrestic last season. There is one positive thing about the pregnancy, though. Nancy and Esteban are still going to be a part of each other's lives. Hopefully the writers will give the relationship more of a chance to develop. Demian Bichir was a great addition to the cast, and Nancy needs a man in her life. That said, I won't blame those of you that want to cry foul in the comments.

Celia spent most of the season as a bizarre kind of comic relief, yet somehow ended up in the greatest danger going into the hiatus. The idea that anyone would pay $200,000 for Celia after her parade of insincere apologies is laughable. Does Celia's fate strike anyone else as supremely unfair? Nancy takes serious risks and breaks the law, and Celia is the one that ends up in jail, injured, and now abducted. Are the writers punishing Celia merely to demonstrate that there are, in fact, consequences in the Weeds universe? I'm certainly not regarding Celia as an innocent victim, but things are definitely off-balance. Both women are below-average parents, and Celia is the only one getting drugged and held for ransom. Silas and Shane love Nancy in spite of her actions.

Things may be taking a turn in the Botwin family, though. Shane is quickly becoming a thief, a drug dealer, and a little jerk. I never thought that I'd respect Silas and dislike Shane after this season was over, but here we are. I'm relieved that someone is learning from Nancy's mistakes. Silas has the right idea: keep it simple. Grow weed, sell it, and live modestly off the profits. The small farm is the show's most promising storyline, and I hope the writers do something fantastic with it. Will Nancy join Andy, Silas, and Shane on the farm, or will she be with Esteban? Will Andy summon the courage to deal with his feelings for Nancy? Their candid conversation during Nancy's bath may be the closest that Andy gets to intimacy with his former sister-in-law.

My favorite moment of the episode came from Doug. The autoerotic asphyxiation scene was not only a hilarious surprise, but was also a clever parody of The Shawshank Redemption (see the video for yourself). I'm curious to see what happens to Doug in season five. I love Kevin Nealon, but this was a perfect way to say goodbye to his character. I wouldn't mind if this was it for Doug Wilson, although I doubt that he's leaving the Botwins anytime soon. Why couldn't the episode have ended with that scene, instead of with the pregnancy twist? Even the tense, tearful scene in the Prius (didn't that just break your heart?) would have been a better ending.

All in all, the finale gave me just enough hope and humor to hold my interest. Mary-Louise Parker continues to deliver amazing performances as Nancy Botwin. If not for her, the show would have lost me.

What's your take on the finale's shocking twist?
Predictable.77 (10.5%)
Perfect!270 (36.8%)
Worst. Season Finale. Ever.66 (9.0%)
I'm staying neutral for the next nine months.281 (38.3%)
Other.40 (5.4%)

Matan

I think that something was really off with this season. It was darker, almost humorless, and some plotlines bordered in sickening perversions (Shane and the pictures, for example). This season's stories were questionable at best and under under- developed at worst.
There was still some highlights, and all in all Weeds had a weak season, not a bad one. I can't wait for new episodes.
My season 5 three wishes: 1. Kill off Shane, the most annoying kid ever. 2. Leave Celia alone. (or give her her own show!) Whyever the writers seems to enjoy abusing her so much i have no idea. 3. Don't pursue the hinted Andy crush. It's everything like nancy to sleep with available men, but it's nothing like her to feel such love for her late husband's incompetent knock-off, who just gave up after he realized he can't compare.

September 19 2008 at 7:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ctunightfall

Something I'd like to see for next season: Nancy gets a paternity test and it's not Estaban's baby. Cue the Maury reference. And Doug's noose breaks, leaving him with an embarrassing cast.

September 18 2008 at 1:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kristenm

I had heard rumors that Nancy would be pregnant, so that kinda spoiled this episode for me. I didn't experience any of the building tension like I would have wanted to. But, that's my own fault for hearing a spoiler, and not necessarily the show's fault.

I like Nancy with Esteban a lot, but I also really miss Conrad. He's been around since the very first episodes and has always had a sweet spot for Nancy. I was sad that he wasn't part of this season at all. I find myself not-so-secretly hoping that the baby is Conrad's and not Esteban's. It's hard to track with time on these shows, but that was an early sonogram that looked like the baby was between 8 and 12 weeks along. I didn't think Nancy and Esteban had been together that long. Perhaps they had been... In any case, I keep wanting to find a way to bring Conrad back, but I also don't want Nancy to run afoul of Esteban.

I was glad to see Silas finally get smart, and I love his idea of a simple Mexican farm. I am also happy to see Andy's love for Nancy, although I *do not* want to see Nancy reciprocate it. I am truly disturbed by Shane's development this season. I hope something happens in the next season to redeem his character. I don't care one whit about Celia unless she's playing against Nancy or the Botwins, so this recent arc of addiction, rehab, and kidnapping just seems like a waste of time. I wish Doug had something to do. He was really in his element as the shady CPA and council member mastermind. As much as I like his character, I would almost rather see him off the show than see him like he was this season.

September 17 2008 at 4:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jaerisk

I can see your boobs heh...Nancy is hot

September 17 2008 at 10:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Monkeydog

I was very disappointed by the finale, considering how much I loved last weeks episode, and how great all the other finales were. (Although I have to admit, this episode had the best name of any episode name ever...other than maybe some of those pun ridden Venture Bros. titles)

I haven't very much enjoyed these past two seasons, and I'm kind of not liking the show anymore. It's better than a lot of stuff on TV...but certainly nowhere as good as the first two seasons were. Season 3 sucked, but at least this Season it's been a bit scatterbrained, as in, sometimes it's really good, and sometimes it's really bad. It's trying to redeem itself and I think it could be headed in the right direction. I am very doubtful it'll ever be as good as the first two seasons, but you never know. I thought this new season of Californication was going to suck, but after seeing the first two episodes, all I want is more. I'm hoping Season 5 bring the true revival of this series. This season has put a new dynamic in the world of Weeds, and has seriously brought back Andy, Doug, and Silas for me...but at the same time it could be seriously killing Shane, Nancy, and Celia(although she is headed in the right direction) for me.

I just miss the old days, where the show felt far more real. Now it's just gone off into this bizarre area that I don't know if it's really helping it any.

September 17 2008 at 1:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hill

The season ending was amazing! The highlight had to be Doug though. To think I was actually concerned that Doug might actually hang himself! In looking forward to next season I just want two things: The baby to actually be Conrad's and Nancy putting in Shane in his place!

September 17 2008 at 12:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ken

Are you people serious? This season was terrible. Ever since thay left Agrestic. The depature of Conrad left a huge gap. Doug is just not funny this season and way out of place. Celia just ridiculous. Although the scene of her in jail all Latined up was funny. What was with her sneezing blood from doing too much coke? I wasnt amused the first time she did it and certainly not the second. The pregnacy idea should have been the two girls Shane hooked up with. He could have used the safety pin trick Silas pulled on his deaf girlfriend. I just hope Dexter doesnt fail me too.

September 16 2008 at 10:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
docinaustin

I believe I said "I'm tiring of the Nancy Botwin show. I would rather watch the Celia Hodes show." That twist at the end just didn't really excite me. There's only so far that they can take it.

September 16 2008 at 10:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Borat

The guy who plays the cop did a great job this episode.

"He was my partner"...that scene was very well done.

September 16 2008 at 8:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sam

Keeping off spoilers really pays off. I have been trying that and was completely suprised during the ending. I honestly did not see it coming. I could not even imagine what Nancy was getting out of her bag- a gun would have been useless, then maybe a call to Silas to say she's being whacked..... yea i know, lame!

It has been a brilliant season though and much better than the previous one. Only Celia's storylines have been disappointing. The writers don't seem to know what to do with her. Doug is a crowd filler and could be used well- though i wouldn't miss him if he bit the sand.

September 16 2008 at 7:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply