November 23, 2014

Worst Week -- An early look

by Allison Waldman, posted Sep 19th 2008 11:04AM
Worst Week cast
Sam Briggs is a schlemiel. Everything that can go wrong in his life, every dumb thing a guy can do while trying to do the right thing, happens to Sam.

The preview of Worst Week (premiering Monday at 9:30 PM ET on CBS) has not changed dramatically from this ready-to-go pilot. The premise is simply this: can a good guy like Sam overcome all the stupid things he does and find happiness with the girl he loves and her family that loathes him?

For the pilot, Worst Week works really well as broad farce. The situation of this situation comedy goes from bad to worse to worse still. It's funny. It's over the top. It's very, very outrageous. Whether or not they can sustain this level of silliness and maintain some semblance of believability week in and week out is the big question for Worst Week.

I'm willing to watch beyond the pilot, but at some point, they really need to address the question of reality because if you had a week like Sam does in just the pilot, nobody would want to know you.

It helps that Sam is played by Kyle Bornheimer, a cross between the young Bob Hope and Seth Rogan. He's charming and cute in a schlubby way, but it does strain credibility (there's that sticking point again) that he's won the heart of gorgeous Mel (Errin Hayes). Of course, you could say the say about Raymond and Debra (Everybody Loves Raymond) and Doug and Carrie (The King of Queens), so perhaps it's just part of CBS comedy tradition. Kurtwood Smith (That 70's Show) as Mel's judgmental dad Dick, who is a judge, does a great slow burn and it's very much on display here.

Worst Week is based on a British comedy (The Worst Week of My Life) where it lasted three seasons. In UK terms, that's just 17 episodes. For American TV, Worst Week will need to log at least 22 episodes for one year alone. I'm sure creator Matt Tarses has already plotted things out and has stories for this year and next, if it's a hit. Considering that the show is going to be broadcast in the cushy spot between Two and a Half Men and CSI: Miami, it has every chance to succeed. My guess is that we'll know by Christmas time whether Worst Week is CBS's next big comedy staple or soon-to-be replaced by a waiting-in-the-wings Rules of Engagement.

StillBash

Hated the Pilot/Premiere.

How are we supposed to laugh about Farce when we don't know the people in it at all?

I mean pee jokes. *yawn* Am I supposed to laugh at that? Twice?

Not to mention her calling him asking him to be punctual while she was already at her parent's house (what?) and him drinking (huh?).

How long do you have to be at a party to get as hammered as the girl we never saw before who came across as being totally obnoxious, who also got into her car and later on then even assaulted our "Hero".

All and everybody on that show behaved like idiots, non-stop. Not goofy. They acted as if they were braindead. And all humor was slapstick.

I'm either to intelligent for this crap or I have to be as drunk as some people on the show I guess. Or I lack the right amount of Schadenfreude.

September 23 2008 at 10:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to StillBash's comment
StillBash

Gawd. "too" not "to".

September 23 2008 at 10:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Phish

this show reminds me of the UK comedy "some mothers do 'ave em" about a bumbling idiot and his forgiving wife

September 21 2008 at 11:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tess Capra

I stuck out the British version because it was only six or so episodes and I downloaded them all at one time. Hated it. Spread out over a season, I'd give up TV before I'd watch.

September 21 2008 at 5:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cincinnati Mike

Seems to have a lot going for it. The hero is likeable. Kurtwood Smith is the bomb. And the lady that plays Earl's mom is good too. But a lot will also depend on the chemistry between the hero and the girl...which I can't get a bead on.

September 20 2008 at 10:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rich

Haven't seen this show, but based on your description, I think Sam is a Schlamazel as opposed to a Schlemiel.

September 20 2008 at 12:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michelle

I am really excited about this show, all the previews for this have been really good. This poor guy...at least his intentions are good. Really looking forward to September 22nd!

September 19 2008 at 5:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paul

The original UK version is fantastic, thanks mainly in part to Ben Miller's performance in the lead. If Bornheimer can nail it as well as Miller, it might just be a great show.

Of course, having the bad guy from RoboCop can't do you any harm either.

September 19 2008 at 4:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jthomas

I thought this show was pretty funny if you can get past being uncomfortable when all the awful things happen to this guy. Kyle Bornheimer is great as the lead. I watched this the same time as another CBS comedy, Gary Unmarried, and I hope Worst Week does OK because for it's not the usual dumb sitcom.

September 19 2008 at 2:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

This is a CBS show? Doesn't seem to fit in with their style of comedy.

September 19 2008 at 2:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

"Heather, How are yooouuu?" I loved it when he was in those T-Mobile commercials.

Looks to be an okay show.

September 19 2008 at 2:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Chris's comment
modenadude

haha wow, I totally forgot him from that. I just remember him from the prick in that Office commercial ep, but that T-Mobile commercial of his was great! Show looks hilarious, I'm going to start looking forward to it!

And more importantly, Go Saints!

September 29 2008 at 8:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply