April 24, 2014

NCIS: Last Man Standing (season premiere)

by Allison Waldman, posted Sep 24th 2008 12:05AM
ncis harmon(S06E01) All summer long, NCIS fans have been simmering about how the team was broken up in the season finale. It was bad enough that Jenny had died and a new director -- well, actually, the acting director -- was named to take her place, but then his first action was to reassign DiNozzo, McGee and David and give Gibbs three new agents. As the ads for NCIS reminded us, "breaking up is hard to do."

Well, I'm relieved to report that the team may not be together, but they're still intact. It's not as confusing as it seems and if you watched tonight's return, it was clear that the powers that be knew what they were doing with the storyline. Picking up 126 days since the break up, you got the sense that Jethro was nearly as vexed about the changes as Abby, even though he was refraining from putting pictures and postcards on the bulletin board.

For more about how all the pieces of the puzzle have come together so that those that are scattered can still be whole, read after the jump.

So, it turns out that Vance is smarter than we thought and the break up wasn't a punishment but a strategy cooked up by the director to get Jethro to flush out a spy in NCIS. The fact that Lee appears to be the double agent, and that Gibbs and Vance seemingly believe that she killed the "real" spy -- Langer -- is part of a larger story.

If you think about the scene in which Vance talked about his fascination with Muhammad Ali, you can see where they're going. Gibbs and Vance playing a little "rope-a-dope" with Lee. Rope-a-dope was Ali's strategy in the Rumble in the Jungle fight with George Foreman. The term involves letting your opponent beat you up to the point where he/she thinks you're vulnerable and about to go down. Applying this theory to NCIS, Lee thinks she's got the upper hand, that she's fooled Gibbs and Vance. Hmm, I think not. Down the line, this thread will be picked up again.

Two-thirds of the team was reunited by the end of the show, and it looks like Tony may be the focus of next week's show, so I anticipate Team Gibbs will soon all be together under one roof before you know it.

Other points of interest
-- That was a gorgeous blue satin dress that Ziva almost had on in the sexy nightclub in Morocco scene. If that was her singing, she's good.

-- How funny was it that the geek squad/nerd herd call McGee "boss."

-- Tony's self-inflicted slap on the head when he went off on McGee without knowing that Gibbs was listening in.

-- Michael Nouri as Ziva's father, Eli David. Apparently, he and Vance have a history.

-- Not enough Ducky or Abby. Also, is Palmer going to be reprimanded for his dalliance with Lee?

-- Langer was played by Jonathan LaPaglia, Anthony's younger brother. He looks a lot like him, too.
Will Lee return in a future episode?
Without a doubt595 (82.2%)
Maybe, but not till November sweeps99 (13.7%)
Probably not30 (4.1%)

lisab

i love the show i think its great. and how do you feel about putting an end to war right now. if so i have a petition to do so . and here it is
by signing this you can make a diffrence today. thanks .
lisab

October 04 2008 at 8:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gordonm33

agreed w/ most comments, re: Jenny. I do enjoy Lauren Holly but didn't think her character was necessary (for much screen time).

re: who was lee texting at end? any chance it could be Palmer? i'm always leery of those who come off as innocent/simple (think Keyser Soze).

September 28 2008 at 7:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nattyff

i love the plot, it really surprised me, i thought that they would drag the reunion a little more, but these is the way to go!!!

September 25 2008 at 6:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
johngaltx

It was all tied up too nicely; reminded me of the typical Star Trek and Stargate rewind device where everything neatly falls into place at the end because the hero planned it that way from the beginning. The writers could have used the break-up over two weeks and created a great deal more tension between Gibbs and the Director without having to fall back on DataMcGee saving the day with his computer from the basement.

September 25 2008 at 4:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
margaret mckillop

I am a great fan of NCIS and if they break up the team they will lose this veiwer. It was bad enought losing JAG without NCIS

September 25 2008 at 12:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dorv

I guess I'm by myself on this one... As much as I've loved Lauren Holly (especially on Picket Fences), I hated her on NCIS.

September 24 2008 at 10:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Dorv's comment
tarheelbookworm

I agree. Loved her in PF but hated her in NCIS. Not sure if it was the character or the story line but I too was glad to see it end. Sorry Holly fans, but there is a better place out there for her.

Maybe it was just a woman as a boss over Gibbs!

September 25 2008 at 8:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
y_jello_m_f

By the end I knew that Lee hadn't fooled Gibbs, but there is a part of me that thinks that maybe Vance is in on this with her. Who wrote her the txt message?

September 24 2008 at 1:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Robyn

Great episode, I was a little taken back when Gibbs and Vance accepted Lee's story de facto, knew something was up, all last year, such a sweetheart, and this year the claws come out!
Hope Palmer does not get swept up in the blood letting to come.
Does everyone else love DiNuzzo as much as I do?

September 24 2008 at 11:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shepard

yeah, I believe it was Cote/Ziva singing..

All in all a nice episode, but damn I missed jenny :/
There could at least have been a flashback or some grieving... but otherwise it was a cool episode :)

September 24 2008 at 10:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TIDEATHEART

WHAT A THRILLING SEASON OPENER...GREAT SHOW!!! THE UNIT NEEDS TO STAY TOGETHER!

September 24 2008 at 8:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply