July 22, 2014

Everybody hates The Hills

by Kelly Woo, posted Sep 25th 2008 5:03PM
Do you loathe The Hills? Well, you're not alone. Even Oscar-winning actresses have a hate on for the hit MTV reality series.

Charlize Theron told MTV News she didn't understand why the show is so popular. "Why is it so big? It's about nothing!" she wondered. "The Hills is about nothing. I think the girls are beautiful and when they cry their mascara runs and that's real, but I don't get it!"

And she's not the only celebrity who's befuddled by The Hills phenomenon, either. Singer Juliana Hatfield blogged, "I hate the fact that I know Heidi Montag's name; that I know who she is; that she takes up any space at all in my consciousness."

Of course, Hatfield also admitted to enjoying the show. Hey, we all have our guilty pleasures. I have my own love/hate relationship with The Hills -- it leaves me feeling empty inside after viewing, yet I can't help myself from tuning in. And watching reruns (it's a sickness, I tell you). And the show is now procreating: MTV is reportedly spinning off vapid Whitney Port into her own pseudo-reality drama. Which I will also watch.

The Hills has pervaded popular culture so much, even the stodgy Emmys invited Lauren Conrad to present an award. What's next ... Speidi handing out the Nobel Peace Prize?

So, do you watch The Hills and kinda hate yourself for it, too? Should we all form some kind of support group and give each other an intervention?

The Hills' Photos

Lauren Conrad, Debra Birnbaum, Editor-in-Chief of TV Guide Magazine, and Lo Bosworth arrive at TV Guide

Chris Weeks/WireImage.com

Lauren Conrad arrives at TV Guide

Chris Weeks/WireImage.com

TV personality Lauren Conrad poses in the press room during the 60th Primetime Emmy Awards at the Nokia Theatre on September 21, 2008 in Los Angeles, California.

Dan MacMedan/WireImage.com

Chris Weeks/WireImage.com

Lauren Conrad arrives at TV Guide

John Shearer/WireImage.com

Lauren Conrad arrives at TV Guide

John Shearer/WireImage.com

Minibixx

I just reached season 4 and I hate the the new roomate (lauren's childhood friend whatever her name is) so much !
But before that I hated so many of the characters with their fake expressions and false genuinity... This show is so bad it hurts...

Let me get back to S04e04 ;)

Beuuuuuuuuuuuurk ...

June 08 2011 at 7:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jamie

I FUCKING hate this show. There all FUCKING retarded, especially audrina. She always has this stupid smile on her UGLY FUCKING FACE, like she has down syndrome. It drives me nuts. Anyone who watches this shit obviously has a boring life, or is really easily amused by dumb shit, or both. I hope the entire cast dies in a horrible crash and suffers a slow painful death. FUCK the hills.

October 17 2008 at 4:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mstjedi

There are times when I'm glad I don't have cable.

September 29 2008 at 12:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Erin

I agree that I'm angered to know these people's names. They have no talent and do not deserve to be famous. If I see one more staged photo shoot of Heidi and Spencer, I'm going to SCREAM!

I think we should all collectively STOP paying attention to them...maybe then they will go away!

September 26 2008 at 4:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason

I think Joel McHale of E!'s 'The Soup' summed it up best. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsXt04pBgk4

September 26 2008 at 12:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Spikah

I won't judge anyone : I have the same issue with wrestling.

September 25 2008 at 9:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Spikah's comment
nickmagoo

hey, at least wrestling takes a modicum of athletic ability. and the story lines are hilarious...i'll confess, i've been a pro wrestling fan off and on since childhood - although i probably don't view it in the same way as most fans do...i see it as a farcical traveling freak show, with touches of homo-erotic greek tragedy...plus, on the indie rock cred tip, bob mould (alt rock god from husker du, sugar, and numerous solo albums) was a writer for pro wrestling for a while.

September 26 2008 at 1:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nickmagoo

i want charlize to be my new best friend...with benefits...

the popularity of the hills and the unbelievably stupid morons who populate it are further proof of the american death spiral - it's the elevation of mediocrity (hell, it's not even mediocre), the celebration of idiocy, filled with stupidly blank hotties and inane and incompetent a$$holes. but let me tell you how i REALLY feel....

dave letterman's scathingly acerbic interview with an utterly CLUELESS spencer pratt was the best things the hills has ever produced (though i doubt pratty even knows what scathing or acerbic mean).

September 25 2008 at 6:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

Who is Charlie Theron, and why should we care what he thinks?

September 25 2008 at 6:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jim's comment
Netra

Not charlie charlize and he's a she...LOL

October 20 2008 at 12:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carissa

Nope. Never saw it. Refuse. Isn't it enough that I have to know the names of these rich bitch nobodies? I'm with Charlize. I caught her on Leno the other night, and I wanted her to be my new best friend. Now it's confirmed. ;-)

September 25 2008 at 5:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
khamel

why do you have to hate on my girl whitney? shes the only person on the show who i actually like. last season officially ended my love affair with the hills but now we are just hang out. i was a hills evangelist for the first two seasons but its gone from ridiculous to something i dont even comprehend - but i still watch it every week. dont hate on whitney, i cant wait for her new show.

September 25 2008 at 5:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply