August 23, 2014

Dexter: Our Father (season premiere)

by Debra McDuffee, posted Sep 28th 2008 10:02PM
Dexter giving a dad's day talk to Cody's class
(S03E01) Some changes are in the air for Dexter and its crew this season, judging by the happenings in the first episode. Batista is promoted to sergeant -- yay for him -- and he seems to be taking his new position very seriously. Will this responsible cop deal last? I like Batista and hope that it will, but the set-up makes me wonder.

Deb has turned over a new leaf: no drinking, no men and no smokes -- at least she still swears like a truck driver because I'd sure miss that. She sports a short, sassy new haircut to go with her no-nonsense new 'tude. She may be able to stick with the no smoking, but will she succumb to the men or booze first?

What are they going to do with Rita's pregnancy? No good can come of this, I assure you. Dexter as a dad only works part-time for me; I can't picture him without his bachelor pad, his privacy, his little haven complete with research laptop and hidden slides of blood.

A couple new characters have been added. Jimmy Smits plays Miguel Prado, assistant district attorney and smack-dab in the middle of all the hullabaloo with Dexter's case of mistaken identity kill. I was pleasantly surprised by Smits. I like his character and he makes a great addition to the cast. My guess is that they are going to go deep with this character and milk Smits for all he's worth as a first-rate actor and big name.

Quinn, the new detective, also adds some new layers. Internal Affairs is crawling all over Deb, trying to get her to rat out the new guy, and Deb is having none of it. What's this guy's deal, aside from the piercing stare, which I am sure has been practiced in the mirror on numerous occasions?

Of notable significance is the fact that this is the first time Dexter has ever been spontaneous with a kill. Sure, he screwed it up, which may also be significant and a bit of foreshadowing for the tone of the season, but killing the wrong guy, someone he doesn't know, didn't research, may or may not fit "the code" -- that's huge.

Generally, this first episode of Dexter, season three is a good one. Lots of groundwork for the coming season has been laid and the tone remains the same, complete with Dexter's entertaining voice-overs. You think Dexter is off to a good start this season?

mb

I think everyone feels the same about the season premiere and I also enjoyed the episode as well.

- As someone else mentioned, I too, missed the character of Sgt. Doakes. He was the perfect antagonist to Dexter and the precinct doesn't seem the same without him.

- Rita's pregnancy seemed to be brought into the storyline a little too early (first episode?). Without spoiling it for the rest of you who don't know, I'm wondering if this season will follow what I've "heard" is in the second Dexter book. I can see how this might lead to Dexter's personal turmoil if they introduce it along with Rita's pregnancy.

- Showtime really has the quality level for this show set high. Bringing on Jimmy Smits was a question mark for me, but he is a really good actor. I hope he mixes in well with the cast the same way John Carradine did last season.

- Alright Batista! Earned the gold!

September 29 2008 at 7:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Danielle

Wish Rita's pregnancy wasn't mentioned is the header section...Thanks for the spoiler.

September 29 2008 at 2:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cdawg

yeah Erin I've notice the same thing. it's seriously disappointing. I might have to brave the boards at television without pity... ack!

Chuck - I wasn't referring to how Dexter would explain the murder to the police, I was referring to how he can reconcile his actions with Harry's Code, ie the Rules. He has a bit of a conscience in there.

Oh and I agree that I hope Dex still keeps his bachelor pad - only a bit of him playing daddy at a time please

September 29 2008 at 12:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to cdawg's comment
Chuck

Ah. That makes sense.

September 29 2008 at 1:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C C

Solid season premiere, but I'm sensing that this season may not quite match the level of the first two. Don't get me wrong, I'm seeing a lot of potential and I still think it's going to be good. But last night I felt like there was a slight change in tone-it seemed lighter, as if the writer/producers were trying to dull the show's edge a bit to possibly attract more viewers.

September 29 2008 at 11:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Erin

Can someone explain to me why there aren't many postings anymore? I noticed that also. There used to be around 20 posings per day, and now we're lucky if there is 5. Is there something going on with the bloggers? I would really like to know.

September 29 2008 at 11:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cdawg

i've honesty noticed that there haven't been many articles even posted on tvsquad anymore. what happened to it? i've been dissapointed. and this isn't exactly a good way to start out a new season of Dexter, the best show ever

anyways, i thoroughly enjoyed it.

Did NOT see that coming at the end (Showtime seems to pull the same twists alot these days no??? wink wink for those who watch another show whose name i wont say for fear of spoiling others on it)

Thought Smits was a good add.

However, it was quite clear to me that Dex's kill was self-defense. I don't think that there is any rule against protecting yourself. In fact, I thought that WAS the first rule.

September 29 2008 at 10:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to cdawg's comment
Chuck

The only problem being, of course, that he would then have to explain what he was doing there in the first place. And if the other guy (Freebow? Whatever, Dexter's intended victim) shows up and says that Dexter had been there that afternoon looking to score some drugs, that wouldn't end up looking to good, either!

September 29 2008 at 10:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
edgore

I believe cdawg meant that protecting himself was the first rule of the code. There is no way that Dexter would ever be able to explain his presence in the house.

September 29 2008 at 3:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chuck

Hey, at least we got some sort of review this time, right?

September 29 2008 at 7:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe

"Generally, this first episode of Dexter, season three is a good one."

Making sense is for losers, apparently. I've tried to steer clear of the TVSquad bashing lately, but this low standard of writing just puts me over the edge. Lift your game, TVSquad.

September 29 2008 at 2:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wonderopolis

From the moment Jimmy Smits appeared onscreen, I got the strange feeling that this season might be Dexter vs. Columbo.

September 29 2008 at 1:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JW

I can't wait to see what is in store for Dexter! It's going to be interesting to see Dexter go through pre-fatherhood; we already know he is good at being a dad. I think Deb or Batista may find something out about Dexter this season, I think Deb already knows in the Dexter books, so maybe they will still include some things from the books. It's going to get interesting.

September 29 2008 at 12:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply