August 2, 2014

The Sarah Connor Chronicles: Allison from Palmdale

by Brad Trechak, posted Sep 29th 2008 11:05PM

The Sarah Connor Chronicles(S02E04) This story focused more on the individual members of the Connor team, particularly Cameron. I was glad about this for two reasons. First, more Summer Glau. Second, I think the flash forwards make for very good, interesting episodes.

At first, I was a little taken aback by Cameron's display of emotions. Since when can Terminators shed tears? I suppose it sort of makes sense given that she's an infiltration unit, but it seems kind of a stretch.

How did Catherine Weaver have a daughter? Is she another robot? On a side note, it turns out the girl who played Catherine Weaver's "daughter" has her own website. I suspect we'll see more of her character in the future.

I admit I was a little fuzzy about the reason Ellison accepted the job with Zeira Corp. I know he's unaware that Weaver is a T-1001, but the company is suspicious at best. Can anybody shed some light on his reasoning?

I just knew Cameron would end up killing Allison. I also liked how they inferred that Allison and John were, shall we say, more than friends in the future (something other people I've spoken with about the show have suspected). It would make sense for the Terminators to try and copy her. Summer Glau puts on an excellent performance as both roles and as she progresses from human back to machine.

The ending was very ominous. Did Cameron learn how to lie? Has the shock reverted her back to her original programming and she's going to infiltrate and destroy the resistance? I would guess not, otherwise she would have snapped John's neck in the car. Unless her motives are more subtle, like Catherine Weaver.

Overall, a very good episode with good character development.

What exactly is Savannah Weaver, Catherine's daughter?
A T-100141 (6.6%)
An earlier model Terminator18 (2.9%)
A human283 (45.3%)
Catherine herself, detaching a piece through her shape-shifting abilities283 (45.3%)

Roger

I like the fact that she different. I think she is a part of
the third group she methion. That could a reason why she snapped her neck. She knew that was the only way
she could save her. Also remember when she that women
teaching ballet. She was fascinated with it. Not something
a terminator would do. It just keeps getting better and better.

October 04 2008 at 4:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom

There are only two shows that I anticipate watching on a weekly basis this fall: (1) Fringe and (2) Sarah Connor Chronicles. When I say anticipate, I don't really mean look forward to in a sense that I like them immensely (that kind of anticipation is reserved for "Lost" and "BSG") but these shows generate enough buzz and enough interest that I like to see what they present week to week.

So far, I've had two different reactions. Fringe again this week was disappointing. Its derivative, implausible, and this week bordered on downright goofy. With the threat of cancellation removed, maybe they can relax and find a groove. I hope so--its a promising show that has failed to deliver even if the ratings are improving. I like enough of what I've seen of JJ Abrams (excepting Alias) to enjoy his style. But come on, after four weeks, Walter Bishop has been so involved with whatever is going on, that it qualifies him not as being an eccentric scientistist, but early leader in the competition "most significant person to ever walk the earth."

On the other hand, I can't begin to tell you how impressed I am with "The Sarah Connor Chronicles." Every time I watch that show, I have the opposite reaction I have with "Fringe." "Allison from Palmdale" was probably the best episode of the the series short life so far. Summer Glau was exceptional. Overall, the character development in this show is excellent, the characters are engrossing and complicated, but altogether very human. The interations just between Agent Ellison (Richard T. Jones) and his ex-wife (played by Fay Wolf) were enthralling. Shirley Manson is brilliant and convincing as the villain you don't quite know what to expect from. That was inspired casting. I am enjoying every aspect of this show, it yet the reports seem to keep coming back that this is the show that is doomed by its ratings. Why?

Unfortunately, we may not have The Sarah Connor Chronicles for the long haul. And I'm afraid by the looks of it, between a show like Fringe and Sarah Connor, we'll be losing the wrong one.

October 03 2008 at 2:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Skater3900

bad news guys...

leave it to fox... why would they leave a good show on Monday nights? Their target audience is watching Monday Night Football! But yet there is a Big Brother 99?!? I dont understand...i really dont

October 01 2008 at 12:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ric Kaysen

"Since when can Terminators shed tears?"

She made it clear in the first episode that she was "different" when she made a point of eating food in front of John.

September 30 2008 at 8:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ratvomit

ok. here's my take for any parties interested -

I simply don't think the answer is as simple as - 'Cameron's an infiltration unit and killed who she copied'. I think it's a good possibility that she's either a robocop-type cyborg, or somehow in the future the Connor camp was able to transfer her human consciousness from her dying/crippled body into the look-alike cyborg (after defeating/subduing it).

Cameron's comment of 'apparently not' in the near-end of the most recent episode, implies that Allison very likely survived having her neck snapped in 2027, making her a prime candidate for life saving robo-surgery of some sort.

It would be a possible explanation as to why Cameron snagged the T-888's CPU and stick of coltan in the first season (to be used in said conversion when/if it occurs). Would also explain why it's the only Terminator you've ever seen eat, cry, and exhibit *convincing* human behavior.

Also, memories being recalled during the episode were from Allison's point of view, not the cyborg's (running down the hall, tiger encounter, diving in the water etc.). Total memory extraction seems unlikely for a Terminator - anyhow, why would she have been verbally asking her questions in the first place if she had the capability to copy/read a mind?

Additionally, the T-888's (the one she torched 1st season) scan result on Cameron was 'unknown cyborg' - I'd imagine an agent of Skynet would be able to sniff out one of it's own, yes?

just my two cents, peoples.

September 30 2008 at 5:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
christine dix

pregnant womans baby boy is going to be important in the future; so is his dad...

September 30 2008 at 5:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mb

Wow, good episode... and not only because Summer Glau finally got to act, but because the story got interesting. Kindly disregard what I said last week.

Questions:

- Who knew that Cameron/Glau-bot could have flashbacks about the actual human that she was based on? Or know such personal detail of Alison?

- If Cameron/Glau-bot wasn't built by Skynet but instead by a 3rd party of machines, how does this affect the upcoming Christian Bale T4 movie? Are we going in different directions between the TV and Movie storylines? I hope not, but this new twist really got me interested.

- Did anyone notice Jodie's (sp?) house that she and Cameron broke into? Isn't that the house from the Lethal Weapon movies that Roger Murtaugh and his family used to live in? I believe that Roger's wife scolds their son Nick from climbing over the same railing (on the stairs) that Cameron and Jodie were in front of while they were breaking into the safe.

September 30 2008 at 4:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to mb's comment
mayorjimmy

holy crap, NOBODY else caught on that Cameron was built by a 3rd party? She even said it. She said that there was a group who didn't want to destroy mankind. There's a machine civil war in the background. This helps to explain just why there's machines like Weaver around.

September 30 2008 at 3:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to mayorjimmy's comment
Bodarim

Allison is special to John because Skynet makes Cameron to infiltrate the Resistance. John then reprograms Cameron to protect him in the past. That is the importance of Allison not because they are in love but because she is an asset to saving the future.

September 30 2008 at 10:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joey Geraci

I can't be the only one who thinks they really didn't pull off the whole, "Cameron has the life story of her human likeness embedded in her, and this is why". They tried to explain it as the interrogation, but Cameron didn't get the kind of details she remembered, from Allison during the questioning. I assumed early on that they were going to say that she just copied Alison's memory onto her chip, but an interrogation getting that kind of detail of her running away from the Terminators early on doesn't make sense.

Also, was Sarah basically trying to convince the pregnant woman to raise the child alone so that the cop wouldn't be around? That kind of sucked, especially when she said that pregnant woman wouldn't be alone, because Sarah would be there. Yea right, as soon as the Terminator finds them (when, not if) they are gone, and pregnant girl is alone again. Selfish much?

And I guess Cameron is going to stay the emotionless robot now. I was hoping the character would retain some of the humanity from her memories.

September 30 2008 at 8:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Joey Geraci's comment
Linda

I was thinking maybe they were slipping the "I'll be there for you" as a way to possibly add her and her baby into the mix of characters. A bit of a stretch but you never know...
Also, Cameron's whole "I love you John and You love me" from the season opener suggests to me that there is still more Allison/Cameron/John history that we will eventually learn about (I hope).

September 30 2008 at 12:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply