July 24, 2014

Chuck: Chuck vs. the First Date (season premiere)

by Paul Goebel, posted Sep 30th 2008 8:22AM

Zach Levi(S02E01) "Welcome to Thuderdome!" - Morgan Grimes

I'm curious if there is anyone who watched this season premiere and found the opening recap helpful at all. Are we to believe that there are people who watching the premiere who didn't see any of last season?

I was glad to see that they jumped right into the elimination of Chuck. Last season's finale made me afraid that the entire second season would be about Chuck trying NOT to get killed by Casey.

I had forgotten how much the soundtrack adds to my enjoyment of this show. Not only is the Cake tune one of the best choices for a theme song but every montage and slow mo scene is accentuated by the perfect tune. Just the Huey Lewis songs were enough to put a smile on my face.

The more I watch this show, the more I want to get a job at the Buy More, if only for the excuse to wear the ironically geeky uniform.

It was cool seeing how Casey tricked out his bungalow. I could really use one of those chemical showers for those really hot summer days.

One problem I had with last season was that there wasn't enough of the Buy More staff. Chuck's interview scene was so hilarious I couldn't choose who I thought was more damaged; Jeff, Julia or Lester.

I know Michael Clarke Duncan is supposed to be intimidating but I have a hard time buying it ever since I saw him on The Suite Life of Zach and Cody. I have a hard time believing that he could beat up the guy who has been one of my favorite tough guys since My Bodyguard.

I really liked the showdown on the rooftop, mainly because it illustrated how Chuck is no longer a "fish out of water." He has come into his own as an agent and while he might not have the training Sarah and Casey have, he's a very smart guy who can think on his feet.

As for the Intersect, I was fairly certain, there would be a problem but I really didn't see the explosion coming.

Walt

Great ep, more please.

k, one question, one cast request.

Sarah Lancaster in the first ep this year looks like a woman who is in the early stages of pregnancy. Obviously not, but definitely something. It's the glow around the face and neck. Obviously I'm insane here, even for mentioning it.

Cast request: Due to similar facial features, having Portia de Rossi show up if even for an onscreen pass by of Yvonne Strahovski would be really a treat.

October 01 2008 at 1:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Walt's comment
Denise

I thought so too, Walt. I was like, her face looks like she is pregnant and I don't mean she looked fat, just pregnant. Hmmm, I wonder why?

October 01 2008 at 12:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
maestro610

After The Middleman premiered on ABC Family I thought that I would come back to Chuck and feel like it had lost its luster. MM came out of nowhere with 1/4 the budget and seemed to speedily get itself where it took about 4 episodes of Chuck season 1 to get.

Now that Chuck is back I remember exactly why I love this show so much. I love that as Chuck grows up more in the spy world Morgan continues to rise in his place at the Buy More. BTW Morgan holding Thunderdome in the computer cage for the Assistant Manager position was brilliant television.

Other highlights: Sarah forcing Chuck to admit his feelings, Orange Orange replacing Weinerlicious, Fun and Other Stuff = Assault Gear, Chuck complimenting Awesome's gifts even though he is scarred by seeing Elle in the shower with him, Anna trying to make Morgan jealous, Michael Clark Duncan, Morgan's Call of Duty 4 assault plan, Fulcrum's surprise destruction of Intersect 2.0.

October 01 2008 at 12:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brent

I can't believe I let the first season of this show slip by me. And to answer your question, yes the brief recap was helpful to me. I didn't watch more than 1 or 2 episodes of season 1, but that quick rundown of everything was helpful and more than enough to get me in the know so that I could enjoy the episode. And boy did I. In that one hour, I instantly became a fan of Chuck and plan to follow it for the foreseeable future.
You can check out more of my thoughts here, if you're interested: http://tinyurl.com/3hfp4p

September 30 2008 at 7:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Argent

tonight was the first episode of 'chuck' i've ever watched. so yes, the recap was moderately useful.

September 30 2008 at 7:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Danny

Does anyone know what kind of ratings this got? I would hate to see it get cancelled, especially after the full-season pickup.

September 30 2008 at 4:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Danny's comment
Manuel Reis

Chuck had 6.6 million viewers, aside to those guys who saw the premiere episode between Sept. 22 and 29 for free on Hulu and iTunes. If we see the "glass half-full" way, those were good numbers.

September 30 2008 at 5:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Manuel Reis

I really loved the season premiere. It looked like a whole new TV Show, yet the characters remained the same.

The explosion (and death of Tony Todd's character) really surprised me. But someone had to die... And Todd will be on my (now) 2nd favorite show: 24!

BTW, where can I buy that shower? It's hard to drag my body to the bathroom...

September 30 2008 at 12:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kim

I've been a Chuck addict since the first time I watched the show. I just hope it can survive up against Dancing With the Stars. Hopefully, the execs will comprehend that no show is going to beat DWTS in the ratings in the foreseable future and be satisfied with modest but steady ratings.

I thought last night's episode was a great season opener.

September 30 2008 at 12:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
vacelts

I'm so glad to have Chuck back in my tv rotation. The premiere reminded me of all the reason I love the show.

My favorite is still Casey and I loved the scene where he rescues Chuck and Sarah.

September 30 2008 at 12:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SirCrumpet

Re: Soundtrack, I agree completely, though hearing Flight of the Conchord's Foux De Fa Fa playing absolutely cracked me up.

September 30 2008 at 11:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to SirCrumpet's comment
Jake

I can't agree more. FOTC FTW!

September 30 2008 at 3:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Buttercup

Loved the episode. Is anyone a Josh Schwartz fan? I swear I've seen the box of cereal that was on Chuck & Ellie's table (Nuts & More) on another one of his shows. Anyone?

September 30 2008 at 11:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Buttercup's comment
bkdealer

I agree--I know that I just saw that somewhere, but I can't remember where.
Love Chuck!

October 01 2008 at 2:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Melissa

Buttercup, mystery solved at broadcastingcable.com. Coincidentally, our correspondent first saw Nuts & More on another show the week before. Check it out: http://www.broadcastingcable.com/blog/1380000138/post/600034460.html

October 07 2008 at 11:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply