July 31, 2014

The Shield: Game Face

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Sep 30th 2008 11:02PM

Walton Goggins and Michael Chiklis
(S07E05) "Putting Pezuela away is a down payment on me being able to live with myself." - Vic

Vic Mackey expressing regret? Wha?!? If that isn't a sign of the end, I don't know what is. Correct me if I'm wrong, but up until now, I don't think we've ever heard Vic say he felt bad about what he'd done. At least not say it and mean it. Sure, he's expressed distaste for some of his actions and more often than not he spouts the "I did what had to be done" rhetoric, but now he's finally starting to realize that this is it.

Olivia being in the box certainly must have been a reality check for Vic. You knew she had to have a reason for showing up out of nowhere and now we know why. Jumping right to the end of the episode, it was exactly what I expected. Vic did his homework on Pezuela's dirt (Olivia got her brother out a federal gambling ring charge), confronted her at her home, and found out what she knew and who she told.

Part of me wanted to hear her say "Cruz knows everything," but I think that would have been too much with eight episodes to go. Vic wants to help, but it's obviously out of a sense of self-preservation and not from the goodness of his heart. Could it backfire? Sure, especially if Cruz ever gets his box back and tries to get something out of Olivia. More than likely that won't happen, but Aceveda could still turn over the box to the Feds (i.e. Olivia's bosses) and then she's doubly screwed.

One of the things I loved about this episode is how so many older characters made a comeback. Kleavon Gardner, Deena, and Leon the FBI profiler all popped up and contributed to some really solid storylines. I remember reading somewhere (or maybe it was one of those cast interviews from The Shield website?) that Shawn Ryan went through and re-watched the first six seasons and pulled the characters he wanted to develop further. Looks like this is the result.

Leon's return was the most intriguing because he came in and added weight to Dutch's theory about Lloyd. Something is wrong with him, but he can't pinpoint it. Having Kleavon confirm it was far more chilling though - the elder, experienced serial killer recognizing "it" in a younger version of himself.

More thoughts...

• Up until the end, I will say that knowing Olivia was in the box certainly added a second layer to anything that came out of her mouth since there really was no way of knowing if she was going to set the Strike Team up. Obviously she didn't, but you get what I mean.
  • Seems that in light of Cassidy's behavior, Vic now views Lee as a "do over." What I don't get is why Vic thinks Danny is unfit to be a single parent? Or is that just his own ego?
  • I loved how Dutch equated everything about his career as a path that led him right to Lloyd. I can't wait to see how it plays out with this kid. I've heard a lot of theories and they're all good. Lloyd kills Dutch? Dutch kills Lloyd? Either would make sense to m, but there are so many other (better) outcomes.
  • That scene when Mackey "deputized" Burnout and his crew was hilarious.

Now that Ronnie knows Aceveda has the box, do you think he'll continue to push Vic to end the Armo/Mexi war as Shane suggested? I mean... Shane is right... right? Using Ronnie's quicksand analogy, they just keep sinking. Even though Vic got to Olivia before she could do some damage, you have to wonder if it's really going to make a "big picture" difference at this point.

Any other past Shield characters you'd like to see one more time?
Antwon Mitchell129 (48.0%)
Monica Rawling55 (20.4%)
Waylon Burke2 (0.7%)
Hiatt4 (1.5%)
Tavon51 (19.0%)
Army Renta5 (1.9%)
Diro9 (3.3%)
Nancy Gilroy4 (1.5%)
someone else... tell us in the comments!10 (3.7%)

dudley

ok that was a classic episodes

"no disrespect, but the only set you can clam is alien nation"

"you had some black pussy and now you think you know africa?"

"yes yes y'all!"

and that joke vic pulled on these bangers with the hand gesture LOLZ

October 02 2008 at 1:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to dudley's comment
Gabriel

i think julian said Aryan Nation

October 02 2008 at 5:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

I liked this episode -- probably more than any other this season. It stood on its own, apart from the larger Armenian/Mexican plot, which is just getting too big to follow (or care about). I loved the gang bust, the scene where Vic interrogated the kid, and the interaction with Olivia at the end. Something tells me Vic is getting played!

October 02 2008 at 8:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
csttar63

i think danni did it with the black guy way back in S1 or S2. she seemed like she gave rhythm. vic will get the shock of life.

October 02 2008 at 12:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
csttar63

if anyone can recall way back in season one or two, a black perp was hitting on danni. for a moment it seemed she was interested in the guy. something tells me it will come out that she did it with the black guy, but she pinned this on VIC!!!

any takers???

October 02 2008 at 12:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to csttar63's comment
garrett

Yeh.. your talkin about the fence..Taylor... i thought the baby might be his too bet danny tasted brown sugar

October 02 2008 at 3:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anthony

I voted for Tavon, but I wish I could've added a couple more. Of course Antwon Mitchell would be a perfect to throw into the mix. Who else (besides the oddly left out Kavannagh) could potentially destroy the Strike Team with a vengeful smile? And keep in mind that Vic is back in bed with 1-Niners. As far as I can remember Antwon still controls them from jail

October 01 2008 at 10:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gabriel

great ep indeed.

who i'd really like to see again is Monica.. she did a great job as capt, and I kinda felt she was into Vic during season 4.

i'd also like to see a a major character die.

October 01 2008 at 6:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Gabriel's comment
D-Bo

I too voted for Rawlings. I would be very surprised if all the current cast survive to see the final episode.

October 01 2008 at 11:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pvarine

I personally don't remember the FBI profiler, either, although he looks a teeny bit like the treasury agent from season three.

Deena, however, was a roadbump in the Strike Team getting away with lifting several bricks of coke back in season two (she stole Shane's SUV, with the bricks in it, when he was making a booty call).

The character I'd most like to see make a comeback appearance is Van Bro, the crippled street artist/informant.

October 01 2008 at 3:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andyjoe

I liked the episode, but it was not great. I loved the parts where they use the gang to free the girl (man did she have a great butt) and the parts with Dutch get interesting, but it wasnt amazing or the best one so far.

I can see it building, and really the best way to watch these is back to back to get the whole arc I think.

AJ

October 01 2008 at 11:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff

Which season & episode did Leon the FBI profiler & Deena starred? I only remember Kleavon.

October 01 2008 at 11:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff

Which season & episode had Leon the FBI profiler starred?
My memory is vague...