September 3, 2014

America's Got Talent: Episode 317 (season finale)

by Isabelle Carreau, posted Oct 1st 2008 10:29PM
America's Got Talent(S03E17) "The best new act in America." - The Narrator

Not to worry, I won't spoil who won the America's Got Talent before the jump. So since I have space to kill before I chit chat about the result show, let's use it for stats, shall we?

The first episode of the season aired on June 17, meaning that we spent 3 months and a half watching the competition unfold. In total, we've spend 31 hours and 13 minutes (including commercials) watching acts ranging from the awful to amazing as well as listen to the judges comments and Jerry reminding us that it's "One winner, one nation." Why 13 minutes? Well, the president's address last week cut the Top 5 episode short to 43 minutes according to NBC.

Now that I've used a few lines with stats that make us sound like people who didn't have much to do over the summer, let's get down to business....

And the winner is....

As in all results shows, I won't reveal the name of the winner just yet. Before Jerry started announcing the results, we were treated with the usual recap. The rest of the half hour was filled by an unnecessary performance by a singer I forgot the name of because she didn't belong on AGT, the Top 10 singing "A Moment Like This," a performance by some of the worst performers, and good luck messages by celebrities to the Top 5 contestants. I must admit that AGT did pretty good in reaching to celebrities who were linked style-wise to the Top 5 acts (Il Divo for Neal, Brian McKnight for Emily, Marc Cohn for Eli, Andrew Lloyd Webber for Donald and Wyclef Jean for Nuttin But Stringz).

One thing that this results show was missing was Piers. Yes, he was sitting in his usual judges seat but what about him making some more comments? Did he even talk tonight? Maybe they could have shown less of The Hoff crying and gave those seconds to Piers' comments instead?

Your Top 5 America:
  • 5th place: Queen Emily
  • 4th place: Donald Braswell
  • 3rd place: Nuttin But Stringz
  • 2nd place: Eli Mattson
  • 1st place: Neal E. Boyd

There you have it. America now has its own version of Paul Potts. Neal does have a wonderful voice and will surely do very well as an opera singer but, as you know it, he was not my first choice (I actually said the F word outloud when Jerry announced that NBS was in third place... mind you, the F word is not really a bad word in French-Canadian... so pardon my French?). Actually, he wasn't TV Squad's readers first choice either, as in our last set of polls you placed him in third place behind Nuttin But Stringz and Eli Mattson.

What did you think of the results show? Are you happy with the results? Will you watch the fourth season of the series when it returns? Let your voice be heard in comments below!

leah

I was so sad at the results. I did want Eli mattson to win though I did prepare for nutten but stringz to win. My hope did go up however when neal e boyd was left. I said Eli had to win. I was crushed. I will be able though to feel good about it as long as he produces a CD I may buy and I would love to see him in concert. I don't usually go to concerts, but I definately would to see him. He is trurely amazing.

October 05 2008 at 2:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tasha

I, like alot of people were very disapointed with the results. Seems like the best just never win. Neil was not my first choice by far. Both my husband and I were rooting for Eli and NBS. I thought for sure Eli would win. We will definitly not be watching the show next year. I wish all of them the best of luck, but would never pay a cent to see Neil in Vegas or buy his album. I will however be keeping an eye out for Eli's first CD.

October 05 2008 at 1:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sharon

Or America whins alot!

October 02 2008 at 9:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Diogenese

Neal Boyd is an emotional. compassionate opera singer with an amazing voice. He was sort of the underdog because of this and because of his size. He will certainly go far. I had tears and goose bumps every time he sang, it was so beautiful. I would buy his album in a heart beat, just like Il Divo and Pavratti (sp?) Do you remember the singer/actor Mario Lanza? There were others (also overweight) who did well in movies and on the stage and at the Opera. Yes, he could certainly hold my attetion in Las Vegas or anywhere else and I'd gladly pay to hear him. NBS was boring an repetitious and Eli was nothing more than a bar singer/piano player. Seen a lot of those over the years. The American people voted for the right winner.

October 02 2008 at 7:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to Diogenese's comment
criley

Boy, was I totally wrong in my predictions. I thought that Stringz and Queen would be the top 2 with Eli 3rd and Boyd and the other guy 4th and 5th. What happened????

It is pretty obvious from the comments here that pretty much everyone that that Stringz would win. Even they looked shocked.

October 02 2008 at 5:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jimebear

We had our group of 12 who routinely watched this year. However, there was a suspicious cloud after Neal's audition. It occurred to some of this that it was a repeat of British Idol where Pierce made almost the same comment to Neal as he did to Paul Potts year. We checked YOUTUBE and sure enough,it confirmed what we suspected. There was Pierce talling Paul the almost exact same thing he told Neal. We HOPED this would not come true, but alas it did. Clearly (as it states in the very fine print after the credits), the PRODUCERS ultimately chose the winner, so I want my money back for those votes I called in that were worthless. We also think Neal was in on it the whole time as he OVER-ACTED time after time with his crocodile tears. We go to Vegas a few times a year but never would go and see this fake even if it was free, much less PAY for it.
You've lost at least 12 viewers from Miami and I hope the show is canceled and exposed for the joke they are.
Regards,

OVER IT IN MIAMI

October 02 2008 at 2:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa A.

I am very disappointed in America. I too exclaimed WTF!!!! when I heard the results! I was thinking oh Eli has this in the bag he's gunna win this thing....no problem. Then Jerry said "NEIL E. BOYD!" and I was like uhhhh excuse me?! I will definitely buy Eli CD and I will NEVER EVER go see Neil...Opera and I don't mix! These results are almost as bad as the first season's results when that lil' girl I think she was 9 won. Anyone remember her? I don't think I've heard a peep out of her! This show is such a waste of time!!!! Will I watch it again next summer...probably....that's cause I'm a gluttin for punishment....

October 02 2008 at 12:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim McGee

Perhaps allowing viewers to vote 30 times (10 over the phone, 10 through text message, and 10 via their computer) biases the results. I'm not going to pay to cast a ballot so text messaging is out. Perhaps one vote per viewer would have given us different results. One thing I do know is that I will see and hear Eli Mattson again. I would go out an pay for a CD he was exclusively on. I wouldn't watch Neil E Boyd or download a free album of his "talent" if it was offered. I think there are a majority in America who feel as though Eli and the viewers got screwed last night.

October 02 2008 at 11:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim McGee

Neil E Boyd singing opera wins over Eli Mattson?
I too turned off my television and told myself there was no way America is going to vote for a crybaby opera singer over a young man (Eli) who was singing mainstream music. I don't even know if there are radio stations that play an opera format in my city. I find it hard to believe more people voted for that crap and do not plan on watching AGT next year. There will be no more reality shows watched in my house as we will go to HBO, Showtime, even Comedy Central and let the sham artists have it all to themselves.

October 02 2008 at 11:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Patti

An opera singer? WHAT A JOKE!!!! I wouldn't go see him for free in Vegas (or anywhere else). You can't tell me that he won because he got the most votes. He won because the producers wanted him to win. The name of this show this season should be called AMERICA GOT SCREWED!!!!!

October 02 2008 at 11:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply