July 25, 2014

Oops! Newspapers around the world use SNL pic as official Palin one - VIDEO

by Isabelle Carreau, posted Oct 1st 2008 6:03PM
Saturday Night Live
As I was eating breakfast while flipping the pages of a French local newspaper this morning, my eyes caught the picture above, which accompanied an article about Sarah Palin. I couldn't put my finger on it right away, but I knew there was a problem with this picture. The caption under it says that during interviews, Palin is hesitant, troubled and clumsy but didn't offer more on where the picture was taken and who was on the right.

All day, I tried to discover what was wrong with the picture. Thanks to Quebec's news station 93,3, which I listen to in the afternoon, I learned what was wrong about it: it's a picture of Tina Fey and Amy Poehler in a recent Saturday Night Live sketch! Oops!

Let's admit it, Tina Fey is pretty good at impersonating Sarah Palin and, if she had to read one of Palin's official speeches, we could easily be confused as to if she is the real thing or not. Even if Fey looks like Palin, it's a pretty big mistake for newspapers around the world to publish the SNL picture as an official Palin one.

Thing is, the snafu wasn't only made in my local newspaper. Actually, the article, with the picture attached, was written by Agence France-Presse, a company similar to the Associated Press; this means that the article and the SNL picture was published around the world! Oops! It's one thing for AFP to make the mistake but what about all those newspapers that didn't see the problem with the picture before publishing it? Double oops! I can't wait to see the apology in tomorrow's newspaper!

Tina Fey should definitely take this snafu as a compliment to her acting skills! Below, you will find the video, featuring Fey and Poehler, during which the picture was taken.

Update: Christophe Vogt from AFP posted below saying that AFP did not send the AP picture along with the article and that it was Le Soleil's mistake and not AFP's. Thanks for the clarification, I made the assumption based on what the radio talk show said. I should know better. I can tell you that Le Soleil wrote a blurb today (Oct 2) explaining the mistake and showing what the real Sarah Palin looks like.

RACT

Why did no one notice that Poehler is 7/8 months pregnant and no where near looking like Katie right now?

October 02 2008 at 8:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
christophe vogt

Bonjour,
I would like to ask for a correction on Isabelle's post where she states that AFP made a mistake and send out a story on Sarah Palin with a picture showing Tina Fey. Isabelle should have known better (as one of her reader has already noticed). AFP does not send out stories with AP pictures. The mistake was made by Le Soleil and they also changed the caption on the picture. Le Soleil has run a correction today. I also doubt that this went all over the world. I have now gotten a few phone calls from colleagues who tease me about this. I readily admit our mistakes but I'd love to get the record straitghened on this one.
Christophe Vogt
AFP
Deputy to the chief editor for North America

October 02 2008 at 4:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to christophe vogt's comment
Isabelle Carreau

Thanks for the clarification. I added a note at the bottom of my post.

October 02 2008 at 4:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Han-Beom Kuh

I live in Germany and I saw today in Austria News Program "ZIB" a Clip about Sarah Palin but with the latest Skecth from Fey/Poehler (^_-)-☆

October 02 2008 at 8:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

"Even if Fey looks like Palin, it's a pretty big mistake for newspapers around the world to publish the SNL picture as an official Palin one."

Actually, even if Fey looks like Palin, it's pretty amazing that it would take a TV blogger "all day" to "discover what was wrong with the picture."

October 02 2008 at 8:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jim's comment
CaptSpastic

Well, unless they were FROM Alaska.

October 02 2008 at 3:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tonioj

The picture attached is an AP picture not an AFP one. It is very doubtful that AFP could have attached an AP picture to one of its article. The mistake is probably only the newspaper's.

October 02 2008 at 4:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tv junkie

you should put up the real Couric-Palin interview for comparison because Tina Fey WAS saying almost the exact same words as Palin.

October 02 2008 at 12:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
knight

Is that in the October 1st issue? I'll go buy it now, thanks for the info Isabelle!

October 01 2008 at 8:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ricky19

wow thats freaking amazing i think that few would be a better vice then palin becuz she was actually in this country for the last IDK her life?

October 01 2008 at 7:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply