November 1, 2014

Stump the King: Star Trek: TNG

by Paul Goebel, posted Oct 1st 2008 8:00AM

Worf, de-evolvedThis week's letter comes from a fan named Jim Rodrigues.

Jim writes...
"I just saw an episode I've never seen before! This was rare indeed. It involved the crew of the Enterprise devolving into different creatures. Barkley became a spider. Captain Picard was becoming a lemur. Warf (sic) was biting amphibian Troi. It was my favorite episode other than one of the best T.V. episodes ever, "Cause and Effect." I was wondering if this "monsters running around" episode was released for Halloween? It would be the perfect October 31st episode. If someone knows the title and the date of release, I surely would appreciate it."

Well, Jim, the episode that you describe was actually entitled Genesis and it aired on March 21st, 1994. I agree that it was a brilliant episode but clearly, it was not intended to be a Halloween offering.

The other episode you mention, Cause and Effect, is one of my favorites as well. For yhose who don't recall, this was the episode that featured the Enterprise caught in a time loop where they end up being destroyed over and over. Eventually, they break the cycle and meet Kelsey Grammer as Morgan Bateson.

Here is this week's question?

What other Cheers regular made a cameo on Star Trek: The Next Generation?

Congratulations MNJayW. You got it right!

Jennifer

Nah, tie between Best of Both Worlds part 1 & 2 and Decent part 1 & 2- Awesome episodes.

October 01 2008 at 11:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DaveTehWave

mmmmm, Bebe.

October 01 2008 at 10:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

Sorry, I hated this episode, along with the "Data dreams that Troi is a cake being carved up" and many other absurd "everyone gets possessed" shows of the last 2 seasons. But I did like "Cause and Effect".

October 01 2008 at 10:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Scott's comment
Ryan

I liked that episode actually, though they did use the plot device chip in Data's head a bit too often.

October 01 2008 at 2:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Deezul

A first season episode, that was never explored further and should have been - Conspiracy. Parasites are taking over the Federation. Picard and Riker save the day at the end, but a message was sent out before the baddy was killed at the end. It could have set up a quite a big story arc, but what happened was never further pursued.

October 01 2008 at 10:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will

I remember the first time I saw "Cause and Effect". It was such a big deal to me to see the Enterprise get blown up 5 times. But nobody seemed to understand because I didn't know anybody that watched TNG at the time.

October 01 2008 at 9:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CRVBOY

Yesterday's Enterprise

October 01 2008 at 9:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KenMo

The Inner Light (stardate 45944.1, airdate 30 May 92).
By far my favorite episode.

I actually thought Genesis was a little silly. I mean everyone devolving. Really. I thought maybe all of the humans should have just turned into apes.

October 01 2008 at 8:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
konsonant

Ups, too late.

October 01 2008 at 8:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
konsonant

Bebe Neuwirth was in an episode. I don't know the title, but it's the one where Riker is undercover on a planet which is under investigation (the society is not so far developed that it can be contacted by the federation yet). He suffers near fatal insuries, and the rescue mission brings on all kinds of diplomatic problems and discussions about when to contact a new civilization.

October 01 2008 at 8:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MNJayW

Bebe Neuwirth season 4 ep. 15 "First Contact"

October 01 2008 at 8:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply