April 18, 2014

What's going on with Meet the Press?

by Allison Waldman, posted Oct 1st 2008 3:25PM
Meet the pressAs this election season turns into the home stretch, whether you're for McCain or Obama, this is a very exciting time in politics -- and I find myself really missing Tim Russert quite a lot. This point was really driven home for me when I watched Tim Russert's show Meet the Press last week. Tom Brokaw has been a really good anchorman and reporter, but -- I'm sorry -- he's not a good moderator. He's just not. He doesn't get involved in the questioning enough. He doesn't ask the penetrating questions. He doesn't do his homework like Russert did to be right on top of the facts and catch politicians spinning rather than speaking the truth.

Like I said, Brokaw is not in his element with Meet the Press. Fortunately, he's only doing MTP until after the election. I give him credit for stepping in when Russert died unexpectedly and there was a network crisis. However, looking to the future, NBC needs to find the right person to take the big chair. NBC News chief Steve Capus is reportedly thinking about a rotation of hosts, including Chuck Todd (NBC's political director) and David Gregory (host of Road to the White House, MSNBC).

A rotation of two sounds pretty skimpy, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Andrea Mitchell and David Shuster thrown into the mix. But the whole rotation thing remind me of NBC's caravan of contenders to take over for Johnny Carson when he left The Tonight Show.

I can't say I'm thrilled with any of the choices NBC is talking about for Meet The Press. They may need to broaden the search, perhaps reach out beyond NBC or MSNBC. For instance, CBS's 60 Minutes has a half-dozen correspondents, including excellent reporters Bob Simon and Scott Pelley. Maybe NBC could entice one of them.

george vlosich2

100 hour etch a sketch of Obama/McCain by legendary etch a sketch artist, GEORGE VLOSICH, He has been invited to the White House In 2000/
On Kimmel. Letterman, 20/20, CNN. ESPN, BBC, MSNBC
World News.PBS, People,..... a must see etch.

October 29 2008 at 2:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JAS

Tom Brokaw should not be hosting Meet the Press, He does not bring up the issues we want to hear and seems to be pushing the Republican issues. We need another Tim.

October 06 2008 at 5:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
daniel

Tom Brokaw sucks as an interviewer...

October 02 2008 at 1:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom

Gary Shandling and Joan Rivers were also backups for Carson for awhile. They both left for their own shows leaving Jay with the glory.

Chuck Todd is the best option I see right now. He knows his stuff and I think with time, could be a great interviewer. He deserves the chance at least. Gregory seems to prefer the Today Show fluff.

October 02 2008 at 12:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeremy Kenyon

While I'm not a huge fan of Brokaw, I don't know if I agree that he is in the tank for McCain, perhaps it just seems that way because so much of NBC's coverage has been very pro-Obama (I say this as a regular MSNBC viewer and an Obama supporter).

That said, I like the way Brokaw has brought the West into the political discussion in a big way, whether last weeks' debate between the Colorado Senate candidates or previous discussions with Western governors. I think Brokaw lives in Montana now, so maybe that's why.

I also agree with cpzee on most points about possible replacements and that Chuck Todd could grow into the role. Wasn't Russert in a similar position when he started on MTP?

October 01 2008 at 7:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cpzee

I have never been a fan of Tom Brokaw- something about his voice and questioning style just bugs me. I think Chuck Todd would be an excellent host - just like Tim, he does his homework and you can see his passion for politics whenever he is on TV - he also presents himself as a non-partisan/just the facts personality, and his knowledge of polling and statistics is very impressive. Andrea Mitchell in my opinion is worthless and completely biased and would discredit the show, David Gregory is withstandable (is that even a word?) but I get the lefty vibe from him as well and he seems to talk down to his guests in an "I am an elite member of the media" kind of way. Pretty much anyone on the MSNBC rotation (sans Chuck Todd) would, in my humble news junkie opinion, do more to hurt the show and its fine legacy than help out. Tim was fair, very knowledgeable, and just the best fun-loving personality I have ever seen in news media. He has been and continues to be greatly missed.

October 01 2008 at 6:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joey Geraci

Brokaw is an absolute joke. This is mostly because in nearly every question he asks, and in the composition of many of his panels, he is decidedly in the tank for McCain. He is the one that smoothed over relations between the McCain campaign and NBC after the kerfluffle over some of Olbermann's and Matthew's comments, and McCain practically leaped at the opportunity to have Brokaw host one of debates.

October 01 2008 at 4:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Melissa

I agree that it will never be the same as when Russert was there. I do think Chuck Todd would be a good fit though after the election is over. Please not Andrea Mitchell though, she can barely put two sentences together!

October 01 2008 at 4:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

Let's face it: that show will never be the same. I agree with you on Brokaw. He's just not a good fit. He does bring some credibility, however. Good call on Pelley and Simon. Chuck Todd and David Gregory are all right, but they don't have the clout to host a show of Meet the Press's caliber.

October 01 2008 at 4:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply