April 16, 2014

Dirty Sexy Money: The Birthday Present (season premiere)

by Erin Martell, posted Oct 2nd 2008 12:42AM
Season Two cast of Dirty Sexy Money
(S02E01
) The Darlings are back! Despite all the behind-the-scenes personnel and casting changes, Dirty Sexy Money appears to be better than ever. Loyal fans were rewarded with a major development in last season's murder mystery, and the premiere gave new viewers plenty of reasons to come back for more. Season One feels like it ended ages ago, but "The Birthday Present" was the perfect refresher course in the elements of this gorgeous, twisted world.

Death - Poor Ellen. It isn't easy being married to a Darling, so you have to give her credit for lasting as long as she did. For my part, I enjoyed Bellamy Young's performance as Ellen, as well as the chance to learned about Darling married life. We still have Tripp and Letitia, I suppose, but their marital issues will probably take a backseat to Letitia's surprise arrest for Dutch's murder. I'm thrilled that the show brought us right back to the major unresolved storyline from last season, instead of leaving us hanging for a few episodes. Letitia was one of the prime suspects last year, but I'm beginning to lean more towards Simon as the killer.

Drinking - Alcohol was at the center of several misdeeds this week. Ellen's inebriation didn't do her any favors during her final scene (liquor + rage + wet bathroom floor = trouble, make a note of it), and one too many bottles of wine led to another kiss between Jeremy and Lisa. Despite her half-hearted apology, I agreed with Lisa; the kiss was a symptom of the George's relationship problems. There's no real potential for romance between Lisa and Jeremy, not if Lucy Liu has anything to say about it.

Deception - Who's playing whom in Simon and Karen's face-off? They're both open about their manipulative tendencies, as well as their attraction to each other. I love that even though their intentions are somewhat out in the open, there's still another level of lying going on. Karen proved her loyalty to Simon by returning the vial and playing the "scared by my feelings" card, but delivered the crystal swan to Tripp. Simon professed his love for Karen, but reported back to a mysterious someone about their relationship. I'm certain that Karen is an evil, ditzy genius, and she's definitely her father's daughter. Can the Darlings outsmart Simon and his unseen partner?

Other highlights:

• Clark the Driver is back, and he likes to drink with his chauffeur's hat on. I'd love to see a "buddy-cop" episode with Clark and Nick, like the recent Sylar-Bennet pairing on Heroes. A lot of their duties overlap, only Clark isn't as morally-conflicted as Nick.
  • I'm going to use the phrase "alcoholically indisposed" as often as I can.
  • An interesting tidbit from the news broadcast: Valhalla, the Darlings' country estate, was once owned by Bugsy Siegel.
  • Brian enjoyed firing some German factory workers during the hiatus. I pray that this moment turns up in the show's outtakes.
  • I didn't miss Samaire Armstrong at all--did you?

Did Letitia kill Dutch?
No way.196 (63.2%)
Yes.14 (4.5%)
I'm still not sure.98 (31.6%)
Other.2 (0.6%)

Jane

I have to know where Lucy Liu got the huge double stranded pearl necklace that she wore in the episode that aired 10-22-08. Anyone know were to get one like that?

October 28 2008 at 12:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BARBARA RAMSAUER

I love the show Dirty sexy Money. On last weeks show it was Nicks birthday and towards the end of the show Karen showed up at Nicks office with a bottle of some expensive Vodka (I think)..But Karen put on Nicks desk 2 gorgeous vodka glasses. I have been searching on line for 2 days and can not find those beautiful ones that were on the show. I have to find these glasses and if anyone out there knows who makes them or where we could buy them I would really appreciate iot so very much.
Thanking you in advance for any infor on these glasses.
Thank you!
Barbara

October 05 2008 at 10:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
scott mclendon

Totally agree with Collin....Zoe McClellan is beautiful.I just wish that she wore hair longer!

October 03 2008 at 10:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mb

Oh, and I forgot to mention one more thing.

The actress who plays Nick's wife, Lisa, is the most attractive woman on television. She is so beautiful to watch, it's amazing.

October 02 2008 at 7:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mb

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Samaire Armstrong's character was not needed and made the show goofy. Goofy compared to what, you ask?

Some of the best acting I've seen on television last season was between the characters of Nick and Tripp; for example, where the two of them are talking about Dutch in Tripp's office. Wonderful acting. Even when Leticia and Tripp are onscreen... wonderful.

Then the twins appear and things get weird. Even the background music gets goofy. Samaire's 5 minutes of acting eventually destroyed Donald Sutherland's or Jill Clayburgh's acting skills.

I'm glad she's gone and thankfully, the writers have even toned down Jeremy's clowning.

October 02 2008 at 7:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eddie

I like to think of the the character of Juliet as touring somewhere in Lady GaGa's entourage serving as inspiration for Beautiful Dirty Rich. www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pk2HT0jLFA

October 02 2008 at 2:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eddie

I'd like to think that the Juliette character has actually joined the circus and become part of Lady GaGa's entourage in the Beautiful Dirty Rich video. I'm sure they would get along. www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pk2HT0jLFA

October 02 2008 at 2:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mckval

My understanding is the actress who plays Juliette has had some (mental?) health issues. So, while they will use her in her character some this season, it will be sparingly. I thought that was nice of the powers that be. They could have just replaced her.
But, mentioning her in last night's episode would have been gratuitous. It would have looked like they were just mentioning her just to keep us from wondering. Our wondering will be part of the storyline this season.
She's become a tramp, from what I've read, and is doinking her way around the world...

October 02 2008 at 1:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tool

Valhalla, the Darlings' country estate, is also the mansion used in 1960's Batman TV show, as well as many other shows and films.

October 02 2008 at 1:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Johnzo

i think one of tripp's kids killed dutch. and we really didn't miss samaire armstrong since so much else was happening. a one liner talking about her traveling in europe could help explain that gap, and that may come...

October 02 2008 at 12:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply