April 20, 2014

FOX gives Fringe a full season

by Bob Sassone, posted Oct 2nd 2008 11:29AM
Fringe
You ever get excited about a new show, and you watch the first couple of episodes, and while you like the show it doesn't completely grab you, and you end up dropping it and watching something else? That's how I feel with Fringe. It's a good show, but it's just not "must-see" for me, and I'd rather watch The Mentalist over on CBS.

But that doesn't mean it's not popular. In fact, so far it's the #1 new show of the season (in the 18 to 49 demo that advertisers love, as we've pointed out here many times), and FOX is so happy that they've given the J.J. Abrams sci-fi drama a full season.

The show is actually getting better ratings since the debut, which is something you don't often see. If there's one thing that the networks really love is seeing a show actually increase in viewers over the weeks, even if the first episode ratings didn't blow everyone away.

Tom

There are only two shows that I anticipate watching on a weekly basis this fall: (1) Fringe and (2) Sarah Connor Chronicles. When I say anticipate, I don't really mean look forward to in a sense that I like them immensely (that kind of anticipation is reserved for "Lost" and "BSG") but these shows generate enough buzz and enough interest that I like to see what they present week to week.

So far, I've had two different reactions. Fringe again this week was disappointing. Its derivative, implausible, and this week bordered on downright goofy. Ever hear of "Grand Tour: Disaster in Time?" How about the War of the Worlds? Never mind the X-Files. At least this week I could kind of sympathize with the writers--they are really trying to cram a lot of character development into the early stages of this show, and you can tell they are trying to move significant plot points along quite fast. Perhaps they wanted to make sure and tell a "more complete" story in the event of early cancellation? Well, with that threat removed, maybe they can relax and find a groove. I hope so--its a promising show that has failed to deliver even if the ratings are improving. I like enough of what I've seen of JJ Abrams (excepting Alias) to enjoy his style. But come on, after four weeks, Walter Bishop has been so involved with whatever is going on, that it qualifies him not as being an eccentric scientistist, but early leader in the competition "most significant person to ever walk the earth."

On the other hand, I can't begin to tell you how impressed I am with "The Sarah Connor Chronicles." Every time I watch that show, I have the opposite reaction I have with "Fringe." "Allison from Palmdale" was probably the best episode of the the series short life so far. Summer Glau was exceptional. Overall, the character development in this show is excellent, the characters are engrossing and complicated, but altogether very human. The interations just between Agent Ellison (Richard T. Jones) and his ex-wife (played by Fay Wolf) were enthralling. Shirley Manson is brilliant and convincing as the villain you don't quite know what to expect from. That was inspired casting. I am enjoying every aspect of this show, it yet the reports seem to keep coming back that this is the show that is doomed by its ratings. Why?

My Tivo is full of other episodes of shows like Bones, House, Numbers, Two and a Half Men--all really good shows, but a little to familiar and wearing down. And nothing is really making me rush to watch them. But these two shows, "Fringe" and "Sarah Connor," have a hold of me. Unfortunately, we may not have them both for the long haul. And I'm afraid by the looks of it, we'll be losing the wrong one.

October 03 2008 at 2:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KIrsch

ok fringe gets a full season and Jericho gets cancelled yeah that makes sense look at my face can you imagine what it looks like dont worry im not mad why would i be mad fringe deserves it and jericho does not yeah ....................

October 02 2008 at 9:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to KIrsch's comment
Andrew

Well you couldn't make people watch Jericho, and Fringe is doing just fine. People on this website don't seem to realize that the reason a show gets canceled is not because of its quality its because of low ratings.

October 03 2008 at 12:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jazzie

I LOVE Fringe!!!! I'm not even a Sci-Fi Chick! My favorite show is Brothers and Sisters, and recently, "Dexter"! Now, Fringe is MUST SEE TV for me. I am thrilled it has been picked up for a whole season. I think it is the best new show with Raising the Bar a close second.

October 02 2008 at 6:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David Holtzinger

Tuesdays episode or Fringe solidified my interest. The introduction of The Observer added the intrigue the show needed to stimulate my on-going interest and curiosity. There is an overall conspiracy and it is beyond just industrial espionage and appears to include some alien influence. I also like the Mentalist and tivo both shows on my Dishnetwork DVR. If I had to chose just one show it would be Fringe.

October 02 2008 at 1:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andrew

I think it's a great show, but my suspension of disbelief goes a lot farther then most people's for the most part.

October 02 2008 at 1:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cdawg

i agree about the mentalist - i'd rather watch Psych. So well done.

I've enjoyed Fringe. It's DVR because I like Privileged better though. lol....

October 02 2008 at 12:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ginger

I am thrilled it is going to keep going. Best new show!

October 02 2008 at 12:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Franklin

I started with Fringe feeling like Bob says he does in the article, but with each passing episode it grows on me more and more. It's not even close to perfect, but it has enough X-Files-ish creepiness to keep me interested. The deal maker for me is the character of Walter Bishop, though, he has some of the best lines of any show ever on television.

I think many viewers are as guilty as the networks when it comes to expecting immediate satisfaction. If a network cancels a show after only a couple of episodes, viewers complain that the nets never give a show time to find its footing. If the networks give a show some time in good faith, as FOX is doing with Fringe, viewers complain that the show's not good enough, too boring, implausible, etc. I think if both networks and viewers exercised a little more patience with shows, many of those shows would "settle in" and become what the creators intended them to be.

October 02 2008 at 12:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Franklin's comment
TV Revival

Well said. I like "Fringe", but don't love it...yet. I feel that over time, I'll get to know the characters better (esp. that feisty lady at Massive Dynamics) and be hooked.

Plus, it's the only show I've kept up with on DVR, which has to say alot since I've some crazy old stuff on there (whole season of Doctor Who, Supernatural from last season! and one ep of "Pushing Daisies" from Dec 2007!)

October 02 2008 at 3:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
khamel

glad other people agree with me. its good but nothing special. i'll keep watching because i can record two programs at once but i'm not in love. i think lost is the only thing i've loved from him.

October 02 2008 at 12:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
The Klepackage

The show can drag a bit at times. I imagine that's because no one is used to writing for a 55 minute show yet.

I'm not even going to bother with the Mentalist because I've been watching it for years on USA now (Psych).

October 02 2008 at 12:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply