October 21, 2014

America's Got Talent aftermath: fan reactions against the winner

by Isabelle Carreau, posted Oct 4th 2008 3:03PM
America's Got Talent
If you've been reading my America's Got Talent reviews over the summer, you know I was not happy with last week's results. But since I'm a passive viewer (aka I do not vote), I had to accept America's choice as best new act in America. Since the finale aired, I've been reading comments TV Squad readers left on our site and what the Entertainment Weekly AGT reviewer and readers had to say about the winner. Reading those comments left me with one question: who voted for the winner anyway?

Based on the comments left on both sites, Eli Mattson or Nuttin But Stringz would have won, not crying opera singer Neal E. Boyd. A lot of commenters even say they will more than likely not watch season four because the season three results "suck." So who voted for Neal to win? Clearly, not the EW and TVS readers.

It's possible that little of Neal's supporters decided to comment on both sites and that mostly the unhappy viewers had to vent somewhere. But still, with so many people unhappy with the results, one has to wonder what happened. Some people think that the votes were fixed and that, since the producers have been shoving Neal down our throat since episode 1, people were paid to vote for Neal because AGT wanted their own version of Paul Potts. Personally, I don't think the votes were fixed. I think Neal was crowned the winner because people were touched by his heartbreaking story, his tears, his average-Joe looks, and his good voice. I also suspect that a lot of people didn't vote with the "Can this person really headline a show in Vegas?" or "Would I buy a ticket or an album from that person?" questions in the back of their mind. Personally, my answers would be "no" to both questions when thinking of Neal. Then again, it's personal taste.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that a few people who were sure that NBS or Eli would win didn't actually vote for either them. It's not unheard of that people don't vote for the person they really like because they think other voters will. This means that #2 wins instead of #1.

Why do you think most commenters are unhappy with the results? Were the votes fixed or was it because people didn't vote for who they really thought should have won? If you used your voting privileges for the finale, did you vote for the second best because you thought your favorite was safe? Let your voice be heard in comments below!

Kat

Wow Linda....get a grip. Life is too short for that type of anger over talent. I voted for Neal and Eli at the end. While NBS was entertaining to a point it all started to sound the same. They would not have survived in Vegas for a 90 minute show. I am sure each and every one of the top 10 will have a career of some sort as they are all talented. But to spew that kind of hatred Linda is just close minded and down right ugly.

December 01 2008 at 8:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Maryefx1

l am a Fan..but the results stunk..No way was Neal that good ..just a tenor..good but not great..Who voted for him...no way America...it was strange..l took the show off immediatey after they announce the Winner..it seemed Funny to me, even though he wanted the Heartbreak Vote..In America we work for our money..every body has a sob story...So!!! hoping the show does better next Time....

October 10 2008 at 9:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Julie Amedio

I abosulutely am thrilled that Neal won America's Got Talent. I wish him all the best in his future!

October 08 2008 at 11:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Duane

I liked Stringz for being different, but after a while didn't it all start to look exactly the same? Great, you stomp your feet and shout while you play the violin and your brother does a backbend and dancers do something choreographed (by someone else) behind you. Repeatedly. All their songs sounded the same to me.

I thought Eli was good, but generic. How was he different from any random American Idol contestant? I think Talent tried very hard (to the point of rigging it) to find a "talent" that was not just plain old singing you could hear anywhere else. Hence, Neal. I've been calling Neal as the winner since the first time he opened his mouth, and not because he was that good, but based on how much screen time he was getting. I thought it a funny coincidence that the opera singer on the British version made such an Internet sensation when he won.

Note that I don't think Neal's that great a singer - after the finale I loaded up Pavarotti doing Nessum Dorma to hear what it's supposed to sound like. You'll forget Mr. Boyd in about 3 seconds.

For the record, I didn't vote. Never do.

October 06 2008 at 2:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Phish

if it boils down to pure talent, then neal deserves to win. his voice is the best. try singing opera and you will see its incredibly difficult. its not like pop singing, or any other kind of singing.
the opera singers voice is truly an instrument, like the piano, violin etc.. it has to be fully controlled. personality is an added bonus to provide emotion and depth to the sound.

October 05 2008 at 11:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sandra Harrison

I voted 3 ways (the computer, my land phone and my cell) but who knows if my votes got through. I voted mostly for Eli. I gave Neal and Queen Emily a vote each. I thought NBS would win so I voted. I searched the internet before I made my decision and found NBS had a web site and a following. I hope that all the five finalists find work in the entertainment industry.

October 05 2008 at 8:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
emwcee

I voted for Eli, using three phones (1 land line and 2 cell phones) and on-line using all the e-mails addresses in my family. I obviously really hoped Eli would win, but I actually thought that NBS would win. Never in a million years did I think Neal would win. I think that probably the people who voted for Neal were mostly the type of people who don't go on-line much -- perhaps older women. That's why you haven't heard from many people who voted for Neal, IMO.

October 05 2008 at 7:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JohnnyS

Do the research yourself.
Look at the number of hits on YOUTUBE for each on, or simply look at search/web trends for each of those top three, via Google Trends: http://www.google.com/trends?q=%22Eli+Mattson%22%2C%22Nuttin+But+Stringz%22%2C%22Neal+E.+Boyd%22&ctab=0&geo=all&date=mtd&sort=0
Neil was 10% of Eli and still lower. This leads credence to your assertion. He was robbed by the network. If the network truly used real results, then share them.

October 05 2008 at 5:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Polly

I, too, was surprised with the results. I thought either Eli or NBS would win, no question. I hoped Eli would win because I think he really wanted to win. However, I don't think second place is a bad place for him to be. I believe he'll have more freedom to do what he wants, in regards to a CD, by having finished second. I don't think he'll be forgotten by any stretch of the imagination.

As for the voting, I did vote from two phones and my computer because I thought NBS was really going to give Eli a run for his money. I know Neil and Eli are good friends, and therefore am not disappointed with the results. Eli will be fine. NBS, on the other hand, could have used the win as much as Neil. But who knows, they may end up in Vegas anyway. They would be a good fit for a Vegas show, in my opinion. I think everything will work out just fine for the top three.

October 05 2008 at 1:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Linda

Eli SHOULD have won Americas Got Talent. He not only could sing but he could play the piano well. I would pay to see him or buy a CD he made absolutely. Nuttin But Strings was OBNOXIOUS! My husband plays violin, and viola, and guitar, and mandolin and he even said they were not that great when it came to them being able to play the violin well. Their act was weird. I do not think anybody could have stood to sit and watch them for an hour and a half ..and who would buy their music?? I mean really.....Eli was totally SCREWED out of winning. American KNOWS he was the best. Neal can only sing opera and DO NOT tell me all of AMERICA loves OPERA! NO WAY! I do not buy it. Eli SHOULD have won. We voted him in every stinkin time and I gotta tell ya we were floored he lost. I do not have any desire to watch Americas Got Talent ever again coz I feel that show was fixed. It just did not make sense that Neal won. Forget the tears he and Queen Emily cried..their sob stories are not what makes them a great act. I was not impressed with that at all. Donald had a world known career before his accident so he was already famous, and he has a CD out already..so that was ok he did not win. Queen Emily..she just screamed too much. She only had one song she did well and that was the first one she ever sang. Her song choices were not good for her voice. I mean it...Neal winning made no sense. I found him talentless to be honest. Big deal..he could sing opera...beyond that he could not do anything else. And I found him unpleasant to look at...a blotted tick with a small head singing opera..oh yeah baby..just what I wanted to win..NOT! ELI WAS SCREWED AND AMERICA HAS TALENT IS A JOKE!!

October 05 2008 at 1:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Linda's comment
Mary C. Beck

I feel sorry for you, Linda. You certainly showed yourself to be without compassion. I was absolutely thrilled to see Neal win the competition.......he was way above the other contestants......not only with his voice, but his genuine concern about others. Did you notice how often he said "I love you, Mom"...? And, he after his last song, turned around and applauded those who accompanied him.
Shame on you, Linda......you must be a very unhappy person. ...........Mary

October 06 2008 at 4:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ladytex

Well, Linda, you would be wrong. There are tons of people that would listen to Nuttin' But Stringz for an hour and a half. There are many of us that thought they were entertaining. Not your cup of tea? That's fine, but to bash a couple of fine young men because you're sore that your favorite lost is sad.

Neal wasn't my favorite, but I really enjoyed his performances. A couple of them really moved me. I'm happy for him and wish him all the best, as I do all of the finalists. Among people I know, he has a good following. They don't bother to post to message boards where they would have to defend their personal opinions.

And that's what they all are, personal opinions. Everyone is entitled to theirs.

October 06 2008 at 9:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply