October 21, 2014

AMC develping Robinson's Red Mars for series

by Jason Hughes, posted Oct 5th 2008 1:07PM
Red MarsAMC has done pretty well for itself of late with the critically acclaimed series Broken Trail, Mad Men and Breaking Bad. I'm also hopefully optimistic that they will do a good job with their mini-series remake of The Prisoner. Because of this established pedigree, I am incredibly excited to hear that AMC is developing a series based on Kim Stanley Robinson's Red Mars novel. With Terry Goodkind's The Sword of Truth series already coming to television, it looks like someone in TV land has been raiding my library. Oh there are so many more good sci-fi and fantasy series to develop. Feel free to stop by any time!

The article indicates the series is based on Robinson's 1992 novel of the same name, but I hope they take it a step further and look to his expanded Mars trilogy. That way they can have several seasons of stories to tell. I guess, though, with the bigger story covering a couple of centuries there could be some casting problems. Hell, overhaul the entire cast every few seasons. ER does it and it's been on the air for almost fifteen years.

The story is an extended chronicling of the settling and terraforming of Mars. As such, it is driven as much by social interactions and character stories as it is the rich sci-fi backdrop of the drama. This should help to keep the budget respectable. Maybe scientists will be inspired by these stories, as they were by Star Trek, and we can begin our trek to our red sister within my lifetime.

Battlestar Galactica has proven that an extended narrative and character driven science fiction can create compelling drama that appeals to even the hardest anti-science fiction folks. And AMC has proven that they create television with a tone and style unlike anything anywhere else on television. It's no wonder people are running away from network television these days. All the really cutting edge stuff is on cable.

Eugene

I suppose for people who have a hard time following multiple converging plot lines the Mars trilogy might be a hard read but for anyone who grew up reading books that didn't come from a wire rack at the local 7/11 the Mars trilogy is a fantastic read that takes an interesting look at some of the very real problems and issues facing the world today.

October 06 2008 at 5:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kenny

This promises to be good. I've heard mixed things about the books but most of the criticisms would be less relevant in a visual medium.

October 06 2008 at 12:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CaptKahunah

I don't think that casting would be a problem if they go into the longer trilogy (despite it spanning centuries) because a central part of the book id the discovery of the longevity treatment that vastly extends the human lifespan. Blue mars has many of the same characters, just older...

October 06 2008 at 12:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ditroia

Holy Sh*t I am a HUGE KSR fan and have read the Mars trilogy multiple times. I really hope they can do this justice.

Cheers

Dave

October 06 2008 at 1:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joost Schuur

Excellent news! Red Mars is from 1992 though and not '82.

October 05 2008 at 3:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Joost Schuur's comment
Joost Schuur

It's worth pointing out that this is the third time a TV series based on the book has been floated. Previous attempts by James Cameron and the SciFi Channel sadly did not pan out.

October 05 2008 at 3:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

I'll be interested to see how AMC pulls this off. While I have tried on four occasions to get through this novel and failed, there is definite potential for an interesting series. Hopefully they can take Robinson's rather choppy story and meandering plot and turn it into watchable television.

October 05 2008 at 2:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply