November 24, 2014

Saturday Night Live: Anne Hathaway/The Killers - VIDEOS

by Annie Wu, posted Oct 5th 2008 2:02PM
Anne Hathaway(S34E04) This season so far has been more than a little iffy, but Anne Hathaway managed to make things slightly less painful. Even though the writing still wasn't quite spot-on, Hathaway's enthusiasm brought a light to the show that made even the most irritating sketches a bit more bearable. Honestly, I had my doubts about her hosting abilities, mainly because her good girl giddiness clashes heavily with my black-hearted bitchiness, but I didn't mind her. I'm sure she could even easily make the jump from "pretty good" to "absolutely spectacular," given the right material. Also, she managed to read the cue cards without looking like a complete idiot, which most other hosts have somehow turned into a massive ordeal lately. Mmm, literacy plus natural reading: a combination so deliciously rare, the writers don't even know what to do with it.Here are some video highlights from the episode:

Cold Open: "VP Debates": Ahh, the big news of the week! Once again, Tina Fey put on a half-Canadian accent to play Tina Fey and Jason Sudeikis stepped in as Joe Biden. I have decided either they have worked out a super-nice deal with Fey to keep her as Palin, or nobody expects John McCain to win and they're not worried about getting one of the cast members to play her in the long-term. Also, Queen Latifah's appearance was a pleasant surprise, even if it reminded us that the cast isn't particularly diverse at the moment.

"The Lawrence Welk Show": This unusually bizarre sketch set the tone for the rest of the episode. I could have sworn I've seen another SNL or YouTube'd sketch in which some guy freaks out over his baby hands. Yes? No? In any case, baby hands are inherently funny, so I laughed like an idiot all the way through.

"C-SPAN: Bailout": Another hot topic in the news was the bailout -- I mean, rescue. This was pretty straightforward. I liked Fred Armisen's take on Barney Frank, even though it got a little Ted Stevens-y.

"Digital Short: Extreme Challenge": This was hilarious and probably the best piece from the night. I laughed through the whole thing. It doesn't get much better than pinning chairs and screaming at self-loathing referees.

"Mary Poppins": Hilarious idea, but the execution fell a bit short. There was a lot of singing going on in this episode. At least Hathaway had the voice to pull it off, even if the singing wasn't always justified in the scene. I must also commend her for not forcing a song into her monologue like oh-so-many other stars.

"Mark Wahlberg Talks To Animals": The very idea of this was brilliant and I started laughing as soon as the title came up. Despite the fact that Samberg's Wahlberg impression was fantastic, this could have been done so much better, perhaps with stuffed animals instead of real ones. I remember laughing until I cried back when Will Ferrell's Robert Goulet went absolutely mental on a stuffed goat. I guess taxidermy is inherently funny as well.

How would you rate this episode?
5 - Amazing.157 (25.7%)
4279 (45.7%)
3119 (19.5%)
235 (5.7%)
1 - Awful.20 (3.3%)

Tim McCleese

Annie, welcome back.

October 09 2008 at 4:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Katherine

I LOVE ANNE HATHAWAY AND SHE DID AN AMAZING JOB ON SNL LAST SATURDAY!! i have to agree with everyone else when they say she read the cue cards without being obvious about it. her singing- top notch as always. opening monologue- couldn't stop laughing. my two favorite hosts from SNL EVER are Anne Hathaway and Steve Carell. coincidentally, they were both in Get Smart and they have amazing careers.

October 07 2008 at 8:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Caroline

Yay, Annie's back!

October 06 2008 at 5:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Max

I also liked the "most you-tubed" anchor team, although it went on a bit long. Anne was great in that too.

October 06 2008 at 4:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kevjohn

Thank goodness for Queen Latifah's appearance! It spared us all from another poor impersonation by Keenan Thompson.

The funniest thing about Hathaway's Mary Poppins skit was that the mental images it gave me of her Princess Diaries mom, Julie Andrews. So she stuck it to both her ex-boyfriend and former co-star. Anne Hathaway is gangsta!!

October 06 2008 at 1:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
carrespondent

Dear SNL:

If you're going to make fun of the physically and mentally disabled (Welk sketch), swishy gay guys (roommates) and Jewish financiers (Congressional bailout), for the love all that is holy, make the jokes funny!

Aside from the cold open and the Mary Poppins bit, this show was simply unfunny. For hell's sake, be offensive -- please! -- but more to the point, be funny, for a change.

October 06 2008 at 11:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paul

Great and hilarious episode. The Killers were incredible as well.

October 06 2008 at 10:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff

I actually liked the room mates sketch.

October 06 2008 at 12:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
StillBash

Anniiiiiiie ^^;

Love that you use videos I can actually play compared to the Hulu stuff used on *cough* other pages ;-)

Haven't watched the episode yet so I'm going to do that now and be back later.

October 05 2008 at 6:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to StillBash's comment
StillBash

This episode was great. I laughed the whole time and just skipped "The Killers" performances. Those songs sucked. I really love their old material but these... meh.

I also found that this time they didn't have as many problems with the crew - only one sound guy slept during the second Killers song when he forgot to switch to the other Mic. It's not only that the hosts had problems with reading their cue cards in the first three SNL episodes but also they had problems with camera guys zooming too far out so another camera would get into the picture, the next person with lines wasn't on camera at all, props tipping over and stuff like that - if you ask me you have to wonder whether the cue card guy/girl simply held the cards wrong and if that's the reason for the hosts problems with reading them. I mean thing about it it could very well be.

By the way did you mean to write "Tina Fey playing Tina Fey"? Maybe a comma after the second Fey makes that sentence a little more readable.

Oh and just imagining the Mark Wahlberg bit with stuffed animals had me on the floor ^^;

October 05 2008 at 7:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
corkdraw

Yeah, the doll hands thing was already used by Jon glaser in his "Tiny Hands" web series, which is what you're referring to. Google "Tiny Hands Jon Glaser" and you'll probably find it.

October 05 2008 at 6:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to corkdraw's comment
Annie W.

YES. TINY HANDS. THANK YOU. I couldn't remember where I had seen that before and it's been bothering me since SNL last night.

October 05 2008 at 7:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply