September 2, 2014

FX books a second ride with the Sons of Anarchy

by Jason Hughes, posted Oct 7th 2008 8:03AM
Sons of AnarchyWith Rescue Me failing to bring in the ratings FX really needs or wants, and even this final, and for the record brilliant, season of The Shield under-performing, it's pretty awesome that new series Sons of Anarchy seems to have found an audience. I'm a couple episodes behind (so I'm not helping with the ratings I guess), but after a slow start, this story of a biker gang of criminals is really starting to suck me in.

Apparently I'm not the only one. In five short weeks, Sons has managed to not only retain 3.5 million viewers in the adults 18-49 demo, but it's retained 97% of its total audience since the premiere. Which is why FX decided to pick the show up for a second season.

"It's incredibly gratifying to everyone at FX at this time when The Shield – the show that got our critically acclaimed original programming brand started – is airing its final season, their loyal audience has embraced Sons of Anarchy and made it a success," said FX President John Landgraf in a press release announcing the move. It's easy to do when you consistently put out high quality programming. Hell, the consistency has me even willing to try the bizarre-looking Testees.

It actually made a big difference for this old Shield fan to see Detective Wagenbach (Jay Karnes) in some of those early promos. Having him slide into Charming for an extended stay, or investigation as the case may be is a brilliant way to try and ease that show transition among the Barn faithful. It's as if FX is guiding us where to turn our attention for the next big hit. Another gang of ne'er-do-wells, only this time we get to watch a power struggle between a young leader who'd like to turn away from the life of crime, and his stepfather who's shares a much darker vision for the future with his wife.

Only I'm not sure who's badder here. Ron Perlman as the stepfather, Clay, or Katey Sagal as his wife and mother to Jax, the young leader seeking change. Jax is inspired in this by some writings he found from his deceased father, who had a much purer and loving vision for the Sons of Anarchy biker gang. I love that this struggle is not only within a gang but within a family. Throw in a junkie ex-wife for Jax, a premature baby, another ex working at the hospital she's put up in, the fat guy from Batman Begins who hung upside and had Batman spit at him "SWEAR TO ME!" and you've got television gold!

I've always had a thing for Sagal. Not that I think she's exceptionally beautiful or hot, though she is in her own way, and she definitely makes Futurama's Leela pretty damned hot, but because she's an amazing and diverse actress. From Peg Bundy to Leela to Gemma here, that's a helluva resume right there. My only complaint, and I know they're going for authenticity, is how freaking greasy Charlie Hunnam's hair is. I mean seriously, try a little Pantene Jax. It works wonders for the roots and can give you a natural shine. Not a "fried in grease, wanna piece" sheen.

Sons of Anarchy is another example of why cable is where it's at for challenging, cutting edge original programming. New episodes run first at 10:00pm on Wednesday nights. And that new 13-episode season? Well that we're going to have to wait for. But now you don't have to worry about getting into the Sons and having the lights go out mid-stream.

Cindy SA.

I love this new show. The Sons of Ana. is exciting!!! I, too, can't wait for the second season. I like the way you get to know the actors personally. I am eager to see how Jax is going to handle his inner-demons and the goodness in his heart.

December 04 2008 at 12:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
elaine

I have watched this show from day one. i am actually a bikers wife and have lived the lifestyle for 39 years now. I love the biker way of life and my husband was once a patch holder, until recently. The only thing on the show that I can see that is wrong, is that the patch holders wear their cuts while driving in cars or trucks. That is a no no. Never do they wear their cuts in vehicles. So maybe that should that be addressed. Other than that the show is dead on. OOPS one more thing, we never allow ourselves to have that much inter-action with law enforcement.

December 03 2008 at 7:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pammy

Love the show, I have watched every show. can't wait until second season.

December 01 2008 at 3:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
brad

Keep SAMCRO alive with 2nd season and more after that. The best series yet by far. Rates up there with The Soprano's.

November 27 2008 at 8:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BJ

I loved the show and can not wait for the second season to start does anyone know when it will air? I am so consumed by the show. It kept me on the edge of my seat the whole season. Cant wait for the second season.

November 27 2008 at 8:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kimberly

THIS SHOW ROCKS! I'm a devoted fan and have been drawn to the t.v. since the first episode. I just hope fx don't make us wait forever for season 2 to start. This show rates up there with the sopranos. It has such potential to go so far and to take fx off the charts. Like i said hope we don't have to wait long.

November 22 2008 at 9:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Georgette

Love this Show. WHen is the next season starting? This is the new Sopranos for anyone that likes the rough edge of life. I never miss an episode and when does it come out on DVD?

November 20 2008 at 1:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andrew Labella

Sons of Anarchy shows an american past time brotherhood that was forgotten. It is about time our world remembers apart of history that showed us what it was like to defend our family and country when noone else will. It shows unity at a level unknown to our time. It shows remorse for the next human when need be. Over all, this show might be what we need for us as a country to become more unified in our actions or decesions.

October 29 2008 at 11:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jason

love the shoe since the start but what is sam crow i noticed the jax is the only one who has it on his jacket please post it for me

October 16 2008 at 12:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to jason's comment
Erica

"Sam Cro" a rough acronym of The Sons of Anarchy Motorcycle Club, Redwood Original Charter :)

October 23 2008 at 4:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jill Campanella

I started watching the show from the first night it was on. I like the way you depict the characters. Yes there is some illegal activity (okay maybe a lot) but it still shows these people caring for each other, being there for each other and heaven forbid if someone tries to cross that line. Jemma she was a bit hard to figure out at first she plays that part so well I dont think I have seen one smile on that face since the show started, but even with that she is still able to convey he love for her family, that she would be a she wolf if someone were to mess with them and has a heart of gold. She also doesnt put up with anyones bull----I wouldnt want to be in their organization but I sure wouldnt mind living next door to them and having a good rapport with them. You guys Rock on. The good part is someone is finally showing whats real instead of showing bikers being stupid, filthy people out for themselves only, I really gave bikers a bad name. I LOVE THE SHOW I LOVE THE PEOPLE

October 12 2008 at 11:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply