October 31, 2014

The Sarah Connor Chronicles: Goodbye to All That

by Brad Trechak, posted Oct 7th 2008 12:26AM
The Sarah Connor Chronicles(S02E05) The game of time-travel chess continues. It seems that whenever Sarah and the gang foil one Terminator plot, another two crop up in its place (or they fulfill some sort of objective from Skynet and bring things one step closer to Judgement Day).

Observations from tonight's episode:

How did Reese get the credentials to teach at the military school? I know being from the future gives one access to certain information, but it seems a stretch.

Gotta love the foreshadowing of the "new automated system" for the power plant.

I dug the movie reference of Arnold's tracking of two other Sarah Connors before finding the correct one. Why didn't the T-888 (or "Triple 8") just use the Internet?

The other Martin Bedell (who read from the Wizard of Oz) acted somewhat as comic relief for the episode and continued the storyline in which Sarah connects with her own motherhood.

I still enjoy the future flashes. I didn't notice any continuity with the movies in the flash forward from tonight's episode. Was there any?

So I guess they fulfill history in this episode as well. Once Martin knows the future, I doubt he'll drop out of the academy for any woman. I also liked how whenever he said "Baum" it sounded like "bum", as if he was denigrating John.

I guess we know that Catherine Weaver's ultimate goal is to help the machines win (I'm still not certain about why she picked up and killed that guy in the bar). Catheine doesn't know about Cameron? Interesting. A wild card in the game. It could be argued that Catherine has mastered sarcasm even more so than Cameron.

Okay, I know it's a television show, but why does Bedell look pretty much the same 20 or 30 years in the future? The difference between the ages of 16 and 36 or 46 is a pretty big one.

Which cyborg has better mastered sarcasm?
Cameron163 (48.5%)
Catherine Weaver152 (45.2%)
The T-88821 (6.3%)

David

>Okay, I know it's a television show, but why does Bedell look
> pretty much the same 20 or 30 years in the future? The
> difference between the ages of 16 and 36 or 46 is a pretty
> big one.

I get that they tried to make him look older by scarring him up and so forth, and I would be willing to suspend my disbelief except for one thing - in the future he still looks way younger than Reese, when he should be several years older.

October 30 2008 at 4:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andrew

Anyone else notice that the Cadet that wanted to know about Reese's Kills was named Pyle as in "Gomer Pyle" the nickname given to Leonard in Full Metal Jacket because he was an idiot.

October 14 2008 at 10:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cchaste1

Baum is the author of The Wonderful Wizard of OZ.

October 13 2008 at 10:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Skater3900

Excellent episode. Did anyone catch a preview for the episode in 2 weeks? (there is none next week due to playoff baseball). I looked everywhere online and couldn't find one. If anyone has a link please pass it on.

I love how the story is evolving. Can't wait for the next episode. This better not get canceled.

October 09 2008 at 8:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nattyff

great episode as always.

October 08 2008 at 3:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jone991

anyone know what xbox 360 game was played on this episode?

October 08 2008 at 7:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jone991's comment
Skater3900

yea the game was Small Arms. It's an xbox live arcade game.

October 09 2008 at 8:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruce

I hope writing on the "the blood wall" doesn't turn into a universal clue machine for the rest of the season... i.e. Michael Scofield's tattoos or some other lame deus ex machina. The only thing worse than a "terminator of the week" plot would be a "terminator of the week" plot with the resolution provided by literal writing on the wall.

I want to see Ellison and Sarah Connor finally meet and begin working together. It seems as though that's an inevitable plot arc, and at this point it feels overdue. Maybe Ellison is closer to Sarah now that he found her picture in the bar (taken a few days prior).

October 07 2008 at 1:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to bruce's comment
Manda

Didn't they already meet?

October 07 2008 at 7:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bodarim

I forgot to mention that John Conner is a computer wizard. I am sure he is able to create some documents regarding their identities used in the episode. Whenever they falsify information they assume that John created the identities using his mad skillz.

October 07 2008 at 12:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bodarim

This episode is by far superior to last weeks. The plot with Weaver thickens each time we see her. She is securing Skynets future, but why is she conditioning Ellison even more to not like terminators? Weaver is a very cunning and sophisticated T1001. This other project with Ellison she is working on raising the question of multiple factions of robots. She could be preserving Skynets creation to make sure this other faction of robots get created to help the resistance. Only more episodes will tell the tale.

October 07 2008 at 11:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mdisloki

This show continues to improve. I am really hoping Fox doesn't pull the plug. They should at the very least contiue it until the end of the season and conclude the Cameron part of the Terminator story.

Also, I don't think that in the future they only produced one Triple 8 cyborg. We'll see it (or another it) again.

October 07 2008 at 9:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply