April 18, 2014

Patrick Stewart to portray a Time Lord?

by Richard Keller, posted Oct 8th 2008 2:03PM

Patrick Stewart as a Time Lord? Well, it could certainly happen.Okay, let me preface this first: this tidbit of information comes directly from The Sun. Not the piece of crap North American tabloid but the piece of crap United Kingdom tabloid. This was the same paper that reported Doctor Who was ending after the fourth series, which ended up being refuted by millions of other reputable sources. So, take this information I write below with a grain of salt.

The Sun is reporting that Captain Jean-Luc Picard himself, Patrick Stewart, has agreed to guest star in the next Doctor Who series (season, to us in the Colonies) as a Time Lord. The agreement came after Stewart performed with Who star David Tennant in a summer production of Hamlet. According to the report, Stewart would team up with the Doctor in a two-part episode involving the Daleks (who just. Won't. Die.). He would play the role of a renegade Time Lord seen during the early days of the first Doctor Who series called the Meddling Monk.

Should this be true I would be very interested in seeing the result. While Stewart's role as Captain Picard on Star Trek: The Next Generation was good, I always felt that he was being held back many times due to some of the tight restrictions and seriousness of the show. As this could be a potentially comic role for Stewart, it would give viewers, especially here in the U.S. who only know him in dramatic roles, a chance to see him open up a bit.

RobynM

I'd love to see Patrick Stewart on Who. However, given that I wouldn't trust The Sun to tell me the sky is blue, I'm not getting too excited about it until there's verification from a more reliable source.

October 09 2008 at 6:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dave

Whoever the actor is, I think the big news is they're going to write a third timelord into the show! This is big plot news!

October 09 2008 at 5:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
M-D

Anyone who's seen the first series finale of Ricky Gervais' "Extras" knows that not only can Patrick Stewart bring the funny, but he has no issues joking around about his history in the Trek franchise.

October 08 2008 at 9:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ian

Make it so.

October 08 2008 at 9:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
K.V.C

I've seen reported elsewhere that he could be playing Rassilon, not the Meddling Monk.

October 08 2008 at 8:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
philly_phenom

I'd love seeing Stewart in Doctor Who. However, I really wish the Dalek's would go on Haitus for a while.

I know they are probably the only villain universally recognized from Doctor Who, but it seems they've appeared as much (or more) in the past 4 years as they did in the entire 26 years of DW's original run.

October 08 2008 at 7:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Saavik

I'm taking it with a huge grain of salt and not letting myself get too excited until I hear something much more official, but that does sound like fun.

October 08 2008 at 6:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kyle

If it is indeed true, it would also suggest that Tennant is on board for the next season as well.

Exactly how likely is it that Tennant would try to convince Stewart to guest star on a show he was cutting his ties with?

October 08 2008 at 5:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alicia

I'll go on record as offering up my as-yet-nonexistent-firstborn to see this happen. My secondborn too, if that's what it takes.

October 08 2008 at 5:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CRVBOY

This would be cool. But they've got to get in at least one "Make It So"...

October 08 2008 at 5:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply