October 25, 2014

Dirty Sexy Money: The Family Lawyer

by Erin Martell, posted Oct 9th 2008 8:29AM
Dirty Sexy Money cast
(S02E02)
The Darlings had to bury one of their own this week, and they sent the deceased off in style. Sure, the eulogy was written about someone else and some of the mourners were arrested, but that's part of the fun of these events. The rest of the episode was business as usual--power struggles, inappropriate sexual partners, and suitcases filled with cash. No complaints here.

Betrayal - Everyone was betraying everyone else this week. Simon Elder served up his usual dose of manipulation, this time to drive a wedge between Nick and Karen. I'd love to get a better sense of Simon's agenda. The writers spent a lot of time building him up as Tripp's archenemy last season, and he's mostly lurked in the shadows so far. Brian worked hard to get Tish's defense attorney, Foghorn Leghorn, fired and lost the Vice Chair gig before he was even hired. It's too early to tell if Nick betrayed his own values by accepting the job, but Lisa definitely looked a bit hurt by his decision. Hasn't he been listening to her daily anti-Darling lectures? It's obvious that Tripp got what he wanted by bringing Nick closer to the family, but he might not be aware of Nick's suspicions. It'll be fun to watch these two square off over the next few months.

Nola Lyons - I like Lucy Liu as much as the next person who didn't watch Cashmere Mafia, but Nola isn't working for me. We already have a sleeping-with-the-enemy subplot going on, so her affair with Jeremy is unnecessary. I'd also expect a character like Nola's to have a more hostile relationship with Nick (he is her newest opponent, after all). Their confrontation at Ellen's funeral was missing something. This woman is supposed to be a serious threat to the Darlings, and all we got from her was a little half-hearted flirting. The prosecutor lost me once and for all when she uttered the following cheesy line: "You're the Darlingest Darling of them all." Was that supposed to be intimidating?

The funeral - The Darlings can't have a lavish party every week, but the funeral was just as good. It was one of those perfect Dirty Sexy Money moments when everything came together: an insincere eulogy, a fainting spell, and a brawl with the cops (and all accompanied by Kenny G). These types of scenes are always done well, and it saved "The Family Lawyer" from becoming a forgettable second episode. I hope that this season doesn't focus too much on the trial scenes; Darling antics are far more entertaining. Still, a few more over-the-top courtroom moments--like the presentation of Letitia's bail--couldn't hurt.

Other thoughts:

• We got a brief mention of Juliet (on some island somewhere) and Kiki (busy at school). I suppose that settles it.
  • I stopped missing Ellen the moment we learned that she was a Kenny G fan.
  • Lisa made a smart move by nixing the baby talk with Nick, and she got a nice Godfather moment in return.

See you in two weeks!

Did Nick take the job because he wanted it, or to get closer to the truth about Dutch's murder?
He wanted the job, plain and simple.18 (6.5%)
He's searching for the truth.63 (22.8%)
A little from Column A, a little from Column B.188 (68.1%)
Other.7 (2.5%)

Jennie

So, in one episode we have:

* one corpse
* one presumed-dead mistress
* two illicit smooches involving married Georges
* two betrayers
* one missing kid
* one blown-up hunting lodge

and finally...
* one arrest, which oddly enough has NOTHING to do with any of the above!

Hilarious!
To keep up the craziness check out http://tinyurl.com/5y7qzs

October 16 2008 at 2:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
itsy

Somebody get the Karen actress a cheeseburger.. her bony body is the unsexiest thing on the show.. except for Lisa - who thankfully will probably disappear once Nick takes over the business and gets totally sucked into the Darling morass.

And please - Jeremy's hair - it's painful to see. He dresses well so you can't say he's rebelling in his appearance. Get this guy a decent haircut!

And, I agree, Lucy Liu needs to be cut loose, for so many reasons.

October 14 2008 at 11:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eddie

I think overall the show has one of the best ensembles on TV. Lucy Liu included. But I'm a sucker for the "cold, anti-social" character she plays, largely because she's a 'hot' cold anti-social character.

October 10 2008 at 4:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mb

- Lucy Liu never brings anything unique to any TV show that she's on. She plays the same cold, anti-sociable character in every case, and is usually brings down the show inevitably. Whoever her agent is must have a lot of Hollywood producers owe him/her based on all of the guest starring roles Lucy gets handed.

- It wasn't hard to guess who Nick had selected (from that group of Darling siblings) or that Tripp was going to decide on Nick anyway.

- What is interesting is that Tripp seems to have something planned and that Leticia is the only other person aware of this plot. Whether or not Tripp's plan involves Simon remains to be seen, but he's clearly up to something. Donald Sutherland is a wonderful actor and this show would suffer immensely without him.

- Good riddance to Juliet's character. I hope Samaire Armstrong stays away.

- I must admit that I like how the writers are using Jeremy to create a bit of behind-the-scenes turmoil... especially with his seemingly feeble attempts to seduce anyone. That dude needs to get a better hair cut, however.

- It seems that Billy Baldwin's character of Patrick is not needed for this show. He brings nothing of interest to the plot other than his future run for Senator, and he seems too pathetic and sheltered to be a NY Attorney General. Here's an idea for the writers: Why not have Lucy Liu attempt to seduce him in order to capture his job (and fail miserably because he's still hung up on Carmelita)?

- And once again, Nick's wife Lisa is the most stunning actress on TV. I get hypnotized every episode watching her in HD.

Great show, but I hope the storylines don't fizzle out like last season.

October 09 2008 at 4:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carissa

Yuck. I do not like Lucy Liu's character at all. It seems like they added her for some celebrity power, but we have Donald sutherland and Peter Krause. Nuff said. Her character ain't workin'.

It crossed my mind that the name on the recommendation Nick gave to Tuck was his own. It didn't surprise me one bit that he was announced. That could be because I watched ANTM earlier in the evening and one the "scenes" a girl had to model was the person who was sure she won and then didn't. The family all had that look.

I still don't get the Karen thing. And seeing her in her undies told me she isn't all that hot outside, and her insides are unattractive, so I want Nick to stay away. Away! Lisa is awesome, and I don't want her off the show. They've already squirreled away their daughter, and want to put Karen with Nick...where will that leave Lisa?

October 09 2008 at 12:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
No1Dad

I only watch this show to see Lucy Liu but now I'm starting to get into it. It's much better than the promos make it seem. More Lucy please!

October 09 2008 at 10:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alaina

I fell asleep halfway through last weeks episode and obviously missed something...so Karen is open with Simon about getting his secrets for her dad....wtf?

October 09 2008 at 9:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply