Brought To You By ... - VIDEOS
Or maybe I should say commercials I hate, though I think you'll agree with me on some of these. They run the gamut from silly to ineffective, from dumb to just plain jaw-dropping. Let's start with jaw-dropping.
1. DirecTV's Poltergeist ad. This is...creepy and tasteless. Do the makers of this ad really not know that young Poltergeist star Heather O'Rourke died at a really young age? Even if they didn't (I'm kidding, of course they did), the star of the ad, Craig T. Nelson, is aware of it. So why use footage of her in the ad? It's just bizarre to me. Then again I'm not a DirecTV exec. They must know that what they're doing by using footage of a deceased child star (and a stand-in) to sell satellite TV service.
2. Maria Sharapova and the PowerShot. This commercial has airs mostly during tennis tournaments like The U.S. Open. It's not that I find the fact that people want to take pictures of Sharapova's dog more than take pictures of her odd (though it is), it's that I don't believe that she would ever be in any of the situations they show her in. Dropping off her own bags at the hotel? All alone on the tennis court after practicing? Sorry, I'd believe the ad if it was set on the moon before I believed any of those scenarios.
3. Any commercial for an erection-helping pill. Especially if they defile an old Elvis Presley and/or show a couple sitting in bathtubs.
4. Amica Insurance. As I get older, I have a real problem with commercials that show really bizarre things happening and the people in the commercials don't seem too shocked by them. For example, the Amica spot where the cars are actually angry with their owners so they decide to take matters into their own hands (or wheels) and push a guy's key out of the ignition, make a woman's tires deflate, and even lock another guy out of his car completely. These people seem a little perturbed, but you and I would be running for our lives (or at least taking a pic with out cell phones and calling the Ghost Hunters gang). The worst part of the ad though is the end, when the guy calls Amica, and when the car hears the guy calling Amica it unlocks the door. The guy smiles. How the hell did he know that calling Amica would make the car unlock the doors? Why would anyone want to get into that car?
5. Election ads. No explanation is necessary here, but I particularly hate the Obama ad that says John McCain doesn't know how to use e-mail and the McCain ad comparing Obama to Paris Hilton. Just think of how happy we'll be on November 5, knowing we won't have to see political ads for four years.
OK, there must be other commercials that drive you batty, right?