December 21, 2014

Saturday Night Live: Weekend Update Thursday (October 9, 2008) - VIDEOS

by Annie Wu, posted Oct 10th 2008 8:28AM
Amy and Seth
Well, that was a little strange... and maybe a little unnecessary. All right, it was definitely unnecessary. I wasn't quite sure how they were going to work out these Thursday election specials, because even though they called it "Weekend Update Thursday", I didn't believe they were just going to show a twenty-some minute long "Weekend Update" segment. As it turned out, the special consisted of one cold open and the rest was "Weekend Update." This is where I got super-confused. Half of these jokes had absolutely nothing to do with the election, leaving me to wonder if there is anyone out there that could not have waited until Saturday night to hear the relevant jokes. I don't think anyone's going to forget the election or the economic crisis any time soon, let alone by Saturday.

Cold Open (Presidential Debate): Fred Armisen's Barack Obama impression has improved greatly over the summer and Darrell Hammond's John McCain was just as spot-on as ever, showing us that the angle at which McCain holds his arms is also extra-important. Really, they need to find another hardcore impression guy so that poor Mr. Hammond can finally leave the show. At this point, even Tim Meadows is getting worried.

The sketch hit on the three big things I wanted to see: Tom Brokaw growing extremely annoyed about both candidates going over time and McCain's "that guy" comment and constant wandering. Thumbs up from me. The Bill Murray appearance didn't make much sense to me, but it doesn't really matter because it was Bill Murray. It was also good to see Chris Parnell's Tom Brokaw again, even if SNL's true Brokaw will always be Dana Carvey (I still think about that Gerald Ford sketch from time to time, for no real reason).

"Weekend Update": Maybe we got Bollywood and salt jokes because election news still hasn't gotten crazy enough to fill up a fifteen minute "Weekend Update" and we just need to wait until November 4th draws nearer and nearer. Or maybe I was right the first time and we don't need these special Thursday editions on top of the regular Saturday programming. Honestly, I understand that NBC is just trying to capitalize on the election buzz, but it's silly to have this and then more of the same on Saturday. Just save the good jokes and leave Thursday alone!

Pointlessness aside, this was a pretty strong "Weekend Update." Just about all of "Really!?! with Seth and Amy" was gold and Kenan Thompson's financial expert was fairly amusing. Will Forte and Fred Armisen as Hall and Oates started off all right but got old real fast, not unlike the original duo. I should also note that I kept expecting Hall and Oates to make out because I'm so used to Forte and Armisen doing that kind of thing when they're on "Weekend Update" together. It's almost Pavlovian, the way I brace myself when I see them sit together behind that desk.

This is probably something nice to leave on the TV if you don't feel like walking across the room to grab the remote after The Office, but don't worry if you forget to set it on your TiVo. Really? Really.

viewdrix

Personally, for the sake of variety, I'm really glad they didn't do two acts' worth of solely election jokes. They'd probably make a joke about John McCain being old about six times an episode.

October 10 2008 at 5:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff

OK...no one is mentioning it so I'll ask...

Did they lose vocal audio last night at the end or was that just something local? The band came through fine but everybody at the Weekend Update desk lost audio. I'm just wondering....

October 10 2008 at 5:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Patrick

Holy Crap!

That Dt3 is harder on Annie then I am!!!
Geesh... I bet'cha Annie misses those days of me picking on her... don'tcha Annie :)

Annie knows I love her and I just critique her because I care and want the best for her and her literary career.

I heart ya Annie!
Keep writing... I'll keep commenting.

October 10 2008 at 4:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan

It was pretty lame...I was hoping for a Sarah Palin appearance or at least a Tina Fey one. We had to wait another week for 30 Rock for this? Really?

I'd say I laughed at about 10% of the jokes. Just not that funny. This current crop of SNLers is really bad, just not very good at all. They all seem so amateur, how has the Daily Show gotten all the good comedians and SNL has all the scrubs?

October 10 2008 at 1:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Dan's comment
Ben Belden

I thought the commercials last night said 30 Rock wasn't premiering until October 30th.

October 10 2008 at 2:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
No1Dad

Hey Wu what ever happened to the DTS blogs??? Are you finished covering that and if so will someone else be picking it up?

October 10 2008 at 12:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
david

So, just for fun, lets take a look at the opening lines of little mrs. pessimist's, Annie Wu, most recent reviewcaps (other then venture bros; dont know what it is, dont care)

- Well, that was a little strange... and maybe a little unnecessary.

- This season so far has been more than a little iffy, but Anne Hathaway managed to make things slightly less painful. Even though the writing still wasn't quite spot-on, Hathaway's enthusiasm brought a light to the show that made even the most irritating sketches a bit more bearable.... Also, she managed to read the cue cards without looking like a complete idiot,

- Well, well, Saturday Night Live is back for another season and we couldn't be more excited. Actually, we probably could be more excited, but we're still tuning in and that's what matters.

- I am so full of anger. (that goes without saying)

- Ladies and gentlemen, I think we have witnessed the beginnings of a new low in Project Runway. (We've seen lots of new lows lately)

- Question: What were the judges smoking in this episode? More specifically, were they smoking one of the hideous creations from this challenge?

- I have decided that I don't have a favorite this season, just some people that annoy me less than others.

- Despite Bravo's ridiculously shoddy half-attempts to advertise the new season and my sour disappointment in the last group designers, I tuned in for a fifth go at Project Runway. Fingers crossed that I don't hate the world when this is all over. (will crossing our fingers really make a difference)

Look no one likes the review writers that try to sweeten everything up to the point you feel have a cavity by the time its over but this whole "the sky is falling" routine with each and every episode setting a record in futility needs to stop. I understand that SNL and PR have seen better days but many of us are still fans of the show and find great enjoyment in not only the show but reading the reviewcaps and discussing it with others (at least we used to). Getting hit over the head with your glass half empty week in week out is getting really old.

October 10 2008 at 10:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to david's comment
Mike K

Geez, if you don't like the reviews here, than you definitely should not go to Television Without Pity, they are frickin' brutal on shows, with a snarky edge. They're also a lot more in depth, and with as much as I watch, I don't need to slog through 15 pages of text about a show I watched to get like 10 pithy comments.

October 10 2008 at 2:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
david

The sketch hit on the three big things I wanted to see...

Thumbs up from me...

this was a pretty strong "Weekend Update." Just about all of "Really!?! with Seth and Amy" was gold...

--------------

so you liked the cold open, you liked the weekend update, you liked the two guest visits on weekend update. What else was there?? Other than your predisposition to disliking everything you review what was their not to like?? FIX IT!!

SNL is trying to "evolve" and may I say they are doing it MUCH better than some other sources of "funny, thoughtful commentary".

October 10 2008 at 10:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
FloridaGirl25

Annie, I loved Dana Carvey's Tom Brokaw sketch (where he practices the pronouncement of Gerald Ford's death). My daughter can recite it cold. If Carvey had reprised Brokaw on last night's show, I might have even failed to appreciate how well Darrell Hammond has nailed his McCain impression. I loved the frequent mix-up of questioner's names and the wandering.

October 10 2008 at 10:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
adhonus

It was entertaining and it was certainly worth watching. I'm glad they're expanding the reach of the show, something they're certainly doing to compete with the Daily Show. You may notice that the Daily Show will have a full week of shows next week, something Jon Stewart said they weren't going to do. I hope they do more of these during weeks when the show is off the air.

Live television during prime-time is worth watching.

October 10 2008 at 10:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kevin

This Saturday's show is a rerun. If you're gonna write for a blog, at least be knowledgeable about the subject matter.

October 10 2008 at 9:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply