December 20, 2014

Dexter: The Lion Sleeps Tonight

by Debra McDuffee, posted Oct 12th 2008 11:05PM
Dexter and Miguel talking on his balcony

(S03E03)
I found this episode of Dexter to be the funniest so far. I know they aren't exactly going for a dramedy here, but the comedic relief in tonight's episode was priceless. Then again, when Dexter brutally strangles someone, I suppose we needed the change in mood.

The best part? Dexter's voiceovers. Voiceovers can be a tricky thing, and of the shows I watch, only Dexter and Burn Notice get it right. The title of the episode is reflected throughout the voiceovers, with lion and hunting comparisons while Dexter is interacting with the pedophile. These are tightly written and woven seamlessly throughout the episode.

The laugh-out-loud moment of the episode for me, though, was the yoga class voiceover; it's why I love Dexter so much:
Dexter (voiceover, in yoga class): "This is absolutely without a doubt the worst moment of my life."
Yoga Instructor: "And now, let's move into some free-form Yoga. Just let yourself dance."
Dexter (voiceover): "I was wrong; this is."
Instructor: "See the dust dancing against the sunlight. Be as beautiful as the golden flakes of dust, Dexter."
Dexter (voiceover): "I could probably kill her before anyone realized what happened."

And what's with Dexter's stalker? Even Dexter wonders why Miguel is trying so hard to be his friend. Could this be foreshadowing the nature of Dexter's and Miguel's relationship somehow? Man, I don't trust that Prado dude, and I sit in my seat, twitching, terrified that Dexter is going to fall right into Miguel's trap. What's his angle though? He's even luring Dexter in with the father issues. I can't help but feel it is all orchestrated.

Of notable significance:
- Dexter veers from his "code" again, and not only kills someone who isn't a killer, but also adopts a new M.O.: Dex strangles the pedophile.
- We find out that Miguel doesn't even try to get to the truth of Chickie Hynes's guilt or innocence. Why? I still say the guy is hiding something ... a lot, in fact.
- Clearly Deb and Anton will get together at some point.
- Miguel gives his bloody, incriminating shirt to Dexter as an "I trust you" sign. Again with the hrmmmmm from me.

Weird stuff I noticed:
- Um... Smits is so much taller than Hall it looks bizarre on camera. But I also wonder if they don't shoot the scenes like that on purpose. It seems to bring out Dexter's vulnerability, being so small, and again makes me think he may just succumb to the suspicious friendship after all.
- We are reminded of just how anal retentive Dexter really is, when he and Rita's family go shopping with Dexter's alphabetized grocery list.

The pedophile storyline wraps up with Dexter realizing that he can be a good father and make sure that no one hurts his children. Dex decides to be a daddy. Do you all think this episode was as well-written as I do?

Edward Davis

#19 = Sister Nancy - Bam Bam
Classic cut ;)

October 14 2008 at 3:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason

Its killin me what is the reggea song that plays in the background at the club on the lion sleeps tonight episode?PLEASE ANSWER

October 14 2008 at 3:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alex

Cody, Jeff, you beat me to it, I think Miguel could be the skinner. Maybe he recognized Dexter like Dex recognized the pedophile, as another predator.

I think it's a good thing that Dexter is straying from The Code. After all, it's really Harry's code, and Dexter is starting to make his own decisions and choices. And eliminating a threat to your daughter, well, good choice. For a serial killer.

October 14 2008 at 2:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff

Miguel Prado = The Skinner?

October 14 2008 at 1:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kingston

That was a great episode. Dexter is one of my favourite shows and hopefully they keep the excitement up.

Kingston Homes

October 14 2008 at 10:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cody

The skinner is definitely someone we've seen so far. Top candidates are Miguel, Miguel's other brother, Deb's new CI, and this new detective guy that IA is looking into.

October 14 2008 at 10:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Danielle

Great voice over in yoga class! Loved it! Another part I loved is when Deb was in the club and she was getting all mushy w/ that musicican writing a song about her until one of the dancers mentioned she was the "skinny mean bitch". LOL

October 14 2008 at 8:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Usama

We're all assuming that the shirt Miguel's giving Dexter is the actual shirt and not something w/ corn syrup on it, no? I mean it's a hell of a risk to take on Miguel's part, to hope that Dexter trusts him enough to not immediately take that shirt under the microscope (or whatever Dexter would use at this point) to check the shirt's blood against Prado's blood, but so far Dexter's been so trusting I think Miguel knew he could do that.

So Dexter may think he has Miguel's trust and this key piece of evidence is a sign of that when in fact Miguel's given Dexter a false sense of security in the matter.

Also I assumed Dexter did the pedophile like all his other victims, but they just didn't show all that chopping and stuff. I'm also not entirely convinced Prado's in the graveyard, I think that's just a story Dexter gave to Miguel. He obviously couldn't tell Miguel that he dumped the body in the bay (as that would be too much like the Bay Harbor Butcher). Then again maybe he did really put Prado's body in the graveyard, maybe Dexter was thinking ahead and wanted it so that the police could get to the body if it was necessary, for whatever reason.

October 13 2008 at 10:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Usama's comment
driftwood

(Just watched the episode, a bit late!)

I assume the shirt is real, my only question was if prado would have made the shirt so it would implicate Dexter and not him.

November 24 2008 at 10:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Derek

Miguel Prado = Commissioner Gordon?

October 13 2008 at 9:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Notwhoopi

Decent review, thanks. But how could no one mention Dexter getting the carton
of milk from the pedophile's refrigerator as he was dragging the body
out? That was priceless!!

October 13 2008 at 8:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Notwhoopi's comment
nattyff

that was my LOL momento for me!!!

October 14 2008 at 12:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply