April 24, 2014

McCain gets his priorities straight: Letterman first, then the economy

by Allison Waldman, posted Oct 13th 2008 3:09PM
Mcain LettermanNow that Senator John McCain is doing the most important thing in his campaign to become the 44th president of the United States, agreeing to appear The Late Show with David Letterman, I think we can say that the Straight Talk Express is on the way to being back on track.

It was inevitable, and really, really necessary, for McCain to fix this problem with Dave. McCain was the butt of the joke for nearly three weeks and it hasn't helped his campaign. Appearing Thursday should do a lot to ameliorate his image and in every way it can only be a win-win for McCain and Letterman.

McCain should have known better at the time -- or his people should have. I give him credit for calling Dave directly and explaining the cancellation at the time, but he should have rescheduled immediately and been completely honest with his plans to do Couric.

Being caught on camera being made up for the Couric appearance while Letterman was taping his show was bad form. It's interesting that some at CBS were peeved with Letterman for using the internal feed, but they couldn't do anything about it. At CBS, Dave is king.

I say this not only because it would have been politically savvy of McCain and his camp to keep up good relations with Letterman. I say it because McCain had been on Dave's show 13 times. He's an old pro at doing the talk show circuit. Guests that bail at the last minute rarely escape without being lamb-basted.

Joey Geraci

Typo: Some showing Reagan ahead, not McCain. McCain hasn't been ahead in a long time.

October 14 2008 at 8:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Melissa

I shudder to think I live in a world where mending a rift with a talk show host (as much I as adore Letterman) would be enough to prop McCain in the polls.

Then again, this is the world cancelled Firefly.

I like Letterman more when he's ripping on people. I'm a bit sadistic that way.

October 14 2008 at 3:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kim

I think you are overestimating Letterman's impact on the voting public. On the other hand, I never underestimate the stupidity of the American voter. If people will cast their votes based on which candidate wears a flag pin, why not let Letterman be the deciding factor?

October 14 2008 at 9:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott K

Aww I was kind of hoping McCain wouldn't come by so that Dave would keep ripping on him.

"The road to the White House goes right through me"

October 13 2008 at 5:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Scott K's comment
ruby

you my dear-are stupid. you must be a obamabinladin fan

October 13 2008 at 7:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Larry Linn

Hey Dave, ask McCain if he has ever lied during the campaign. It would be best if you asked him while he was gettin his make-up applied, before you give him a ride to the airport.

October 13 2008 at 4:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joey Geraci

The Straight Talk Express is so far off track that it would take a Military GPS System and a caravan of sherpas to get it back on track again. While I love Dave, I don't think he is up to the task.

It is good that he is going on, but at this point, his campaign is so dead, that the entire operation is really operating for the hope that Obama will drop dead/get caught cursing out hillbillies on camera. (Remember, no candidate has been this far behind in all the polls this close to election day and been able to turn it around)

October 13 2008 at 3:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply