September 1, 2014

Eli Stone: The Path (season premiere)

by Jason Hughes, posted Oct 15th 2008 8:22AM
Eli Stone
(S02E01)
So there were no doubts about what show we were watching, the new season of Eli Stone kicked off with a huge musical number. Okay, actually it started with Eli in a therapist's office talking to guest star Sigourney Weaver, revealing that it's been six months since his surgery and that the aforementioned dance number was the first time he'd heard singing and music like that since.

I kind of liked the approach of filtering our catch-up on Eli's life through his therapy session. But since this is Eli Stone, things aren't always as they appear to be. What is as it appears to be is the fact that Eli Stone is returning to the prime-time lineup in fine fashion. Some of you may recall that I wasn't gushing with praise about this show last season, but I really feel that it's found its feet and evolved into a pretty good little show. I even found myself *gasp* caring about what happened to various characters throughout tonight's episode.

So therapy sessions with Sigourney Weaver were a whole new form of delusion for our Mr. Stone. Or is she really God's fiduciary? And his sessions with her tonight set up a whole new layer to the show. If Eli is an appointed visionary, it makes perfect sense that when he removed the aneurysm from his brain, effectively "quitting," they'd look for a suitable replacement. Whoever "they" is. And why not like right next door.

I don't know why, and I certainly didn't see it coming, but I absolutely loved seeing Eli's brother Nathan have a vision. I thought Eli's vision at the open of the episode had signified that he didn't need an aneurysm to have them, but maybe that was induced by Sigourney? However short-lived it was a great dynamic for Eli's skeptical brother to have a chance to experience the life disruptions he put up with last year.

It's also nice to see that Eli's inspiration and presence at the firm is going to continue poisoning Jordan Wethersby. By poisoning, I mean turning him for the better. Now if only I could stop being distracted by his weirdly "car door open" left ear. I'm sure the ramifications of his having abandoned the bank meeting and insulted their management will create new challenges for him at the firm and with his daughter.

I'm envisioning a struggle throughout this season between the forces of good (Stone, Maggie and Jordan) and the forces of stereotypically evil lawyers (Matt, Taylor and Posner). Considering that the firm has been performing so much on the dark side over the years, this could be disastrous for Eli and Jordan. And I won't commit to which side Matt and Taylor will utlimately sit on, but they've been strangely resistant to long-term change for the better thus far.

Snippets
  • Post-surgery, post-visions, Patti gave Eli an MP3 player so he could hear music while he worked. A very sweet gesture as well as a statement of what side of Eli she preferred. It's easy to forget what kind of a guy he used to be.
  • So Dr. Chen is in the smoothy business now. Acupuncture chased down by a delicious fruit smoothy. Feel the fruity goodness seeping out of hundreds of tiny little holes all over your body. Huh, I guess it could work.
  • I know it's not politically correct to say so, but Ms. Henstridge looks like she's put on a little weight during the off-season.
  • The door was left open for Ms. Weaver to return in the role of God's fiduciary, or whatever we'll decide to call her, and I hope they let her walk through it again. It adds a depth and sense of purpose and plan to the visions. It gives us something to try and work out between episodes.
  • George Michael doesn't have a song named "The Path." Just another example that the show appears to be evolving into something more this season.
  • It is annoying that after so many visions and predictions proven true over and over again last season, nobody believes Eli still.
  • I wanted to see Posner's reaction to the fact that Eli was right. He's just one of those personalities you want to rub it in over and over again.
  • Eli never got his license to practice law renewed. And then he practiced law. Wonder if they'll follow up on that.
In the end, Eli made a deal with Sigourney Weaver, or God, to take the aneurysm and the visions back. It's a little disappointing that we won't get to see the visionary brothers Stone, but it does look like we're going to see Eli and Jordan on some kind of crusade. After all, Jordan told Eli, "I know what we have to do now."

I'm pleased to see this show reaching out to become something more than what it was. It was a nice little gem at mid-season last year and due to the strike it was one of the few "new" shows on the air. It will be interesting to see how it fares against much stiffer competition. Hopefully it can do better than almost every other sophomore show. It does have the advantage in that it wasn't off the air for nearly as long as most of those others. Do you remember Eli Stone?

How did the premiere compare to last year?
This show just keeps getting better340 (86.1%)
It was about the same43 (10.9%)
I'm a little disappointed7 (1.8%)
Terrible!5 (1.3%)

lorelei25

Love this show. Love how it builds from week to week, how much the characters have changed and grown since the pilot, and how the creators have significantly upped the ante this season. If I knew someone with a Nielsen box I'd pay them to watch it, just to up the ratings.

Eli really has "lit a match" to his career and reputation. Last season only Nate, Chen and few people in WPK knew that Eli was acting on his "hallucinations." (Patti, Maggie, Taylor and maybe, Jordan.) On the other hand, there are now transcripts to document his predictions of the earthquake and Jordan's location. Wonder how much we'll see of the debate that has to leak out of the court system into SanFran. Whether Eli's a publicity seeking fraud or a true messenger.

Pretty sure which side Martin Posner, and Marcie Klein for that matter, will fall on. Can't see Posner admitting Eli might be real. He'd have to admit that something exits beyond the profit and power he seems to crave above all else. Think there's going to be a power struggle in WPK.

While I understand the limits of an single episode, really missed not seeing more of Patti and Maggie. And missed Taylor admitting that if Eli hadn't fought her so hard, her father would have died.

Damn, if Jonny Lee Miller doesn't get nominated for an Emmy this year, there's no justice.

October 17 2008 at 10:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nattyff

Credit Dauphine bank!!! lol

October 16 2008 at 7:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
angel

I have to say...Natasha has added a few lbs. I thought maybe she is/was preggers??? I hadnt heard that tho...
I loveeeee ELI!!!! I am so glad its back...a show that makes you feel good and is worth the time you invest. Heros use to be like that....hmmmm....

October 15 2008 at 2:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kickit

I really like this show and am glad it is back. To touch on a couple comments/questions from above -

-Eli said he made up that vision he had in the beginning of the episode (the musical number).
-About people's confusion over Eli not having visions after the surgery but still "seeing" the therapist - God, God's fiduciary, whatever you want to call her - I saw her as allowing him to see her in order to help Eli realize what he was missing in life.. the visions.. his faith.. his purpose.. etc. She seems to believe that Eli is special in some way. This is why she was hesitant to sign the papers.. because once she did this, it would mean Eli had "quit" and thus she gave the aneurysm/visions to Nate. Giving Nate the visions and having the crane drop on the bank was the last chance for Eli to come to the realization that it was meant to be him. God's fiduciary went through great lengths to have Eli realize this.

So I do think he was seeing her without the aneurysm, because she was allowing him to - but for whatever reason, if Eli is to take on the full load of visions again and continue on his path, he needs to make the sacrifice and accept the aneurysm in his brain. At least this is how I see it.

On a side note - I wonder if the "Live Brave" stuff and Eli's visions of his great, almost messianic, future will be brought back this season. I really liked where they were going with that last season.

October 15 2008 at 12:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

Now if only Eli Stone and Pushing Daisies were aired back-to-back, my life would be complete.

Great premiere. I really missed the show.

October 15 2008 at 11:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
A Sterwerf

I loved the episode.There is a question about how Eli was seeing Sigourney Weaver without the aneurysm, but that is minor.
Yes. Eli did admit that he made up the musical vision at the begining of the episode.
What is interesting is where "Credit Daupine", the bank where Jordan was trapped, originated. It is the cover organization where Jack Bristow (a.k.a. Victor Garber) worked while he was with SD6 of "Alias" fame. It is an interesting tie in to that series. (Just please don't bring back Sloan!)
Now that Jordan appears to be joining Eli, maybe we will see his Messianic past as well, that is as the lead in the movie "GODSPELL".
I waited all last season for Jordan to appear in a vision in an afro. Maybe this season?

October 15 2008 at 11:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

No comment about the Credit Dauphine bank the crane wrecked in to (Victor Garber - Alias)...or is that just the go to bank for tv shows?

October 15 2008 at 11:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Chris's comment
RJ

I knew I remembered that name from somewhere.

October 15 2008 at 1:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tv junkie

omg, thx for pointing that out, i knew it sounded familiar. i kind of have doubt how the the show could continue beyond its mini first season, but the premiere totally exceeded my expectation.

October 15 2008 at 2:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ladytex

Ditto for this becoming my favorite show. I'm glad it's back and growing. The premiere set up some interesting scenarios for the rest of the season.

October 15 2008 at 10:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sue

Loved this episode. I was curious how they were going to continue with Eli having visions if the aneurysm was gone, but they took care of that. Hope Sigourney Weaver will be back occasionally as his "guide". I did find it odd that Taylor and her mother were on opposing sides in court when all they both wanted was to save Jordan's life. I am glad they are branching out this year, but I do hope to see, or hear, George Michael at some point. Loved Nate's comment about "that other guy from Wham!". This has become my favorite show on TV.

October 15 2008 at 9:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kracker

didn't eli say he made up the vision he had at the beginning of the show?

October 15 2008 at 9:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply