September 19, 2014

Pushing Daisies: Bad Habits

by Isabelle Carreau, posted Oct 15th 2008 11:25PM
Pushing Daisies
(S02E03) "Is a matter of heaven and hell." - Olive

Olive thought the case of the week was a matter of heaven and hell. Personally, I think it was more a case of secrets and lies for both the nunnery members and the lead characters. The investigation unearthed one nun's secrets as the reunion of Olive and the other main characters allowed her to deal with two of the secrets she has been hiding and move on.

Even if Olive hasn't been away from the Pie Hole for that long, I'm glad she came to terms with the secrets and decided to head back home. I could have probably accepted two or three more episodes of Olive at the nunnery trying to keep the secrets but let's face it, Pushing Daisies is much better when all four lead characters are reunited. Everything is too easy for the investigative trio when Olive isn't around because they don't have to hide Ned's powers or be hush hush about their plans. So having her back in the mix will bring back that snooping around that I enjoy. Also, since Olive is a friend of the aunts, it will probably mean more of them too which is a nice thing for the series.

After watching this week's episode, I'm left with a few questions:

- Will Olive and Chuck now be roommates? Chuck could easily go back to Ned's place if she hadn't taken over Olive's apartment like she has. There are things belonging to Chuck everywhere in that apartment now. Let's imagine that they do end up being roommates, what will happen if the aunts visit Olive (while Chuck is away of course) and notice all of Chuck's belongings? How will Olive explain that?

- What will Chuck do next now that she knows Lily is her mother? Will this reveal make her want to stay undead now or will she still ponder having Ned touch her again? If she decides to live, will she reveal herself to Lily? Will she try to get to know why Lily didn't say she was her mother? What? Who? When? Where? So many questions. No answers right now. I guess with November Sweeps approaching that we will get another big reveal about Chuck's family.

- Will Ned really reach out to his father? I hope he does. Except for Chuck's aunts and the flashbacks, we've never met relatives of the lead characters. It's about time the show delves into the families. It would be interesting to see Ned seek his father, find out why he left him, and maybe even see Ned reveal his power to his father.

- Will Olive pray for Emerson's daughter? I may have missed it in one of the previous episodes, but did Emerson ever tell the gang that he has a daughter? If not, then I guess he revealed it to Olive sometime in this week's episode (off screen) so that she could direct her prayers in the right direction? If so, then Olive has yet another secret to keep. Then again, maybe the "investigation for prayers" trade was just for general prayers.

- How long will Olive be able to keep the secret that Chuck is alive? Olive was relieved after her heart to heart with Ned and showing him the picture of a very pregnant Lily so he discovers she is Chuck's mother. Keeping those secrets was eating her inside. So what about keeping the "Chuck is alive" one? I guess it's just a matter of time (maybe February or May Sweeps) before she deals with that secret too.

"Bad Habit" was an entertaining episode that offered a case of the week that had a few twists and turns and allowed Chuck, Olive and Ned to grow a little bit more. What the episode was missing was an appearance by at least one of the aunts and a song from Olive. When Chuck was talking with Mother Superior and a nun passed behind them in the corridor, I was sure that it would turn out to be Lily. Turns out that it wasn't her... just some extra. Oh well, I guess I'm just too eager for Lily to start thinking that Chuck may be alive! Patience, I know!

Lorie

IMO, this was the best episode for Olive and Emerson. He was cracking me up; he had some amazing lines.

October 17 2008 at 8:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

I loved the subversive bit about the nun sneaking in magazines with nude women on the cover. Emerson and the high five by proxy scene was really funny too. The show hinges on his (and thus our) tolerance for sweetness.

October 16 2008 at 3:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
spiffy1vampire13

i luv Ned in this one cause he comes to terms and admits that he would like Olive to be around...
Olive has soo many important roles in this episode and i just think her falling out of the bell tower was kinda cool.. she looked almost ready for anything and then it went all dutch and she landed in a hay wagon... i still liked it though!
Pushing Daisies is amazazing!

October 16 2008 at 12:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kim

I too wondered why there were no previews of the next episode. I'm really nervous that the series is going to get the axe soon. TPTB should at least try moving it to a different time slot (even the dreaded Friday night) before axing it.

I really liked this episode. I loved when the convent priest asked Emerson and the gang why they weren't Italian and the whole exchange that followed. I really had a good laugh when Emerson called Chuck "Sister Christian".

I also loved Emerson's laughter (as only he can) when Olive appeared in his office in her nun's habit.

This series is one of the very few shows on television that makes me feel happy and uplifted.

October 16 2008 at 12:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AJ

I forgot about that! I'm so happy pigby gets to stay!

October 16 2008 at 10:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan Chichian

I am glad they ended the convent story line and they seemed to time it just right. Short enough of an arc to be funny but not so long as we start to hate the characters.

I wonder how Olive will react to seeing how Chuck took over her apartment? Did I understand it right that Olive is taking Pigby home with her?

October 16 2008 at 10:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AJ

Why no preview for next week? The thought that went through my head was "has it been cancelled?!?!" Thank God Chuck finally knows! I hope the aunts find out soon too, seeing as the series is likely going to die an untimely death...like chuck! And then be brought back to life on HBO?!??!?! I can only hope!

October 16 2008 at 9:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brent

I also missed the aunts, but it wouldn't have made much sense for them to be around. And I thought I read there was going to be a song in this episode from Olive...what happened to it? Oh well. I know she's supposed to sing one sometime soon(ish).

Great episode once again, but Pushing Daisies hasn't truly disappointed me yet. Even its worst weeks are still pretty good. I smile more with this show than I think anything else I watch (which is a lot).

Emmerson has told Ned, but I don't know about anyone else. He's dropped hints here and there, back even in the first season, but they're slowly setting it up for his story to get fleshed out more. I'm pretty sure they've cast a bunch of members of his family for upcoming episodes.

http://tinyurl.com/3k8w9d - My equally glowing review and some screencaps for anyone who likes that kind of thing or missed out on this episode

October 16 2008 at 12:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply