November 1, 2014

Battlestar Galactica this and that: final episodes premiere date and DVD release

by Richard Keller, posted Oct 16th 2008 5:34PM

Coming on January 16th...the last 10 episodes of Battlestar GalacticaEveryone, take out your 2009 Ziggy calendars and Tinkerbell fluffy pens. It's time to put some important Battlestar Galactica dates down so you will be able to get both your DVRs and wallets ready.

The good news-bad news first. The final 10 episodes of BSG will begin airing on SciFi staring on January 16th at 10:00 PM. That's the good news. The bad news is when the series finale will air. Should the shows air weekly, and there's no reason they shouldn't, the last episode will be shown on March 20th. That's bad because the series is ending...not because March 20th signifies the end of the world or anything. Really, the scheduling is up in the air since executive producer Ron Moore has previously stated that the series finale may run three hours or more.

Now the good news-good news. Ten days prior to the premiere of the last 10 episodes, NBC Universal will be releasing the first ten episodes of season four in a four-DVD box set. Included in the set are a ton of extras, including the broadcast and DVD release versions of Razor, mini episodes of said Razor, episode commentary by Ron Moore, Moore's weekly podcasts, and various deleted scenes. If there is any bad news it's that Battlestar Galactica 4.0 will only be released in standard DVD format.

One final note: A date has still not been set for the airing of Caprica, the prequel movie set half a century prior to BSG. In addition, a decision to pick the movie up as a series will not be made until early 2009. No surprise that the reason for this decision is the availability of financing. This may be a good thing because it will give fans of BSG a chance to purge themselves from the old series so they can be ready and adapt to the seemingly less science fiction-like feel of Caprica.

DarthPaul

that DVD set is already available in the UK

I'm hanging on till I can get all seasons on Blu Ray - got the HD set of S1 but I'm trying to wean myself off HD in case my Xbox dies (& it's a dead format)

October 17 2008 at 3:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to DarthPaul's comment
Richie

I have Loved it since I watched the MINI series back in 2003 And It has been my #1 show Since then, however I think they really PUNCHED the fans in the gut with the excuse they used for not coming back this fall. What was it that Moore said that they didnt want to compete with the fall shows? But it is better to compete with the Winter shows like That Singing show that 25 million people watch each week and lost and a host of others. The only reason they pushed it into 2009 was to stretch the 4th seaon as long as they could which was VERY UNFAIR to us fans who are left. Didnt they have the Wrap party back in July??? I am really sorry to rant about this show that I love so much but this move really bothered me. Richie

October 17 2008 at 4:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Phish

even if the finale was 5 hours long, it would still be too short!
i guess they dont make 'em like they used to.
all the new shows like fringe, knight rider, suck ball.

or maybe i just like serialized tv-shows with a never ending arc. it appeals to intelligent people who love a complex, multi-layered story.
as opposed to to simpletons who prefer to jump in mid season, get their fix and ciao.

October 17 2008 at 2:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
h0mi

No Blu-ray? Bah. What a crying shame.

October 17 2008 at 1:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Picviewer

"If there is any bad news it's that Battlestar Galactica 4.0 will only be released in standard DVD format."
Yes why would they rather release to a wider adopted format than one pushed down by one company whose past record for formats equals everything we release becomes a doorstop? I wonder how much Sony paid off Toshiba to bury the HD-DVD format anyways?

October 17 2008 at 12:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
superbagman

I'm really confused as to why I'm being asked to essentially buy Razor twice.

Otherwise great news, can't wait to see the finale.

October 16 2008 at 10:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to superbagman's comment
DaveTehWave

It'll probably be a 'branching' disc with both versions on one disc.

October 16 2008 at 11:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
4ham

Wow, it'll end around my birthday. BSG Series Finale is a present I don't want!

October 16 2008 at 10:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

I'm already drooling. I can't wait. And yet I can because I don't want it to end!

October 16 2008 at 7:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply