July 24, 2014

Game show icon Jack Narz dead at 85

by Bob Sassone, posted Oct 16th 2008 3:02PM
Seven KeysVeteran game show host Jack Narz has died at the age of 85.

I don't like the headline at this L.A. Times obituary for Narz, "Jack Narz Dies At 85; Host Of One Of First Programs Involved In Quiz Show Scandals." It makes the casual reader think that Narz actually had something to do with rigging the game show Dotto (found to have given some contestants the answers, along with Twenty-One and The $64,000 Question) in the 50s when in actuality he knew nothing about it. Sure, he's part of the story, but keep that info for the body of the article and not the headline.

Besides Dotto, Narz is probably best known for Beat The Clock (that's where I know him from the most, watching it as a little kid - I even bought the board game!) and Concentration (yup, I bought that game too). He also hosted, substitute hosted or served as announcer on several other shows, including The Price Is Right, Tattletales, Seven Keys, Space Patrol, The Movie Game, Place The Face, and Now You See It, among others. He even recorded an album of folk songs.

Narz died in Los Angeles from complications after a stroke. For you trivia fans, Narz was the brother of another veteran game show host, Tom Kennedy.

Tom In CTown

David, my prayers and thoughts are with you and your family right now. Your dad and uncle are two of the very first hosts I remember from childhood.

Beat The Clock was a must watch for me when we got our first color tv with UHF! I also appreciate his kindness by participating in our Cleveland Game Show Convention via the telephone. His genuine kindness and generosity was evident. Jack was a true gentleman, and I am honored to have had the opportunities to speak with one of my childhood "heroes"...and a true hosting talent.

October 19 2008 at 5:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will

I think I may be a bit too young to remember him on Beat the Clock, I remember watching that as a kid, but I think someone else may have hosted. But I do remember him & it is sad to see all the really great oldtimers passing on. And, as a bit of a trivia buff, I did not know he & Tom Kennedy were brothers! It's often hard in showbiz to tell who's related to who with all the name changing. I always found it interesting that 2 more old-timers, James Arness &Peter Graves were brothers. They didn't look very much alike (at least to me), so unless you knew it, you didn't. (That sounded a little odd, but whatever)

October 17 2008 at 4:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SUSAN

I remember growing up on those great old quiz shows.
Many of their hosts have passed on: Jack Barry, Bill Cullen, Hal March, Gene Rayburn, et al.
RIP, Jack Narz.

P.S. I hope brother Tom Kennedy is doing all right. I loved his show YOU DON'T SAY from the '60's.

October 16 2008 at 8:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steve

Sad news. I always felt he was kinda underrated as a game show host...maybe because none of his hosting gigs lasted more than 5 years or so. Even so, he had a long solid resume to his credit. I still catch him once in a while on "Now You See It" reruns on GSN. RIP Jack.

October 16 2008 at 7:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Steve's comment
David Narz

Thanks for your kind words

October 16 2008 at 11:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply