September 30, 2014

Saturday Night Live: Josh Brolin/Adele - VIDEOS

by Annie Wu, posted Oct 19th 2008 12:02PM
Josh Brolin(S34E05) First of all: It felt like Josh Brolin wasn't really hosting the show, but just kind of hanging out until Mark Wahlberg and Sarah Palin got their business done. He did a fair job with what he was given, though. Secondly: Fartface. Why? Why would they do that? I'm glad NBC.com didn't post that video, because it was so bafflingly bad that everyone that was in the room with me, watching the episode, was reeling from the effects. Please note that I am someone who still laughs at "duty," so a sketch revolving around the word "fartface" should have killed me. Instead, it just left me a little confused and wondering what stuff ends up on the SNL writing room floor. Anyway, this was a big episode, so here are some video highlights:

Sarah Palin on SNLCold Open: There was a whole lot going on in this sketch. Tina Fey, Sarah Palin, Alec Baldwin, and, my favorite part, Mark Wahlberg. I read about his reaction to Andy Samberg's impression of him in the Anne Hathaway episode, and immediately cracked up when he furiously showed up during the open. I really wish they had done something similar for Palin. Palin got to show she's a good sport by sitting there and taking the jokes instead of actually making them. Don't get me wrong, I think she did a fantastic job with what she was given and didn't look like an idiot up there, but they could have let her do something smarter rather than giving the best lines to everyone else around her.

Engagement Surprise: Aww, gosh. I absolutely loved this character from the Christopher Walken episode, but it wasn't different enough to make me, uh, re-love it, I guess. At least we learned that smashing through windows is funnier than smashing through paper screens.

Mark Wahlberg Backstage: This was beautiful. Simple in execution, but Wahlberg got the chance to look like the good guy. Wonderfully done. Say hi to your mother for me.

MacGruber: What a wonderful choice of wig for Josh Brolin. This week's MacGruber sketches were better than usual, not including the ping-pong jokes.

Weekend Update: Tim Calhoun! It's been quite a while since we've seen him and, I"m not gonna lie, I kind of missed him. He's pathetic enough to make even the corniest jokes wonderful. Jean K. Jean has been absent as well. I like him as well, but I often wonder if it's because A) I had to put up with over three years of French in high school and B) I grew up watching Kenan Thompson's Pierre Escargot from All That. As for Palin's appearance, I felt the same way about the Cold Open. Instead of doing anything, she showed that she's a good sport by sitting there and taking the jokes. It's definitely the safer way out, but if she had taken a little more risk, man, she'd get some major cred. Also, I was worried that Amy Poehler was going to go into labor, she was rocking so hard. That rap was spectacular.

Ronnie

I thought "Fartface" was the funniest skit of the whole night. My husband thought I was crazy.

"There's only one fartface in the room and I'm looking at him!"

October 20 2008 at 5:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
eric f

Didn't anyone else notice that on SNL Palin almost completely lost her accent?

I couldn't tell if she was using playing it down on the show, or if she exaggerates it whenever she is making speeches...

October 20 2008 at 10:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
brett

did SNL hire chris parnell back? He has neen on two thurday updates....PLEASE bring him back!!!He is hilarious

October 20 2008 at 9:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
corkdraw

Fartface was a stupid idea for a sketch, but Forte's crazy performance sold it for me. Whenever Forte goes ballistic in any sketch it kills me.

October 19 2008 at 11:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

If "duty/doodie" was an intentional attempt at humor and not just an elementary writing mistake, it makes Fartface look like high comedy.

October 19 2008 at 9:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Jim's comment
goldie

Good lord. The blogger was saying that she has an immature sense of humor because she laughs at the word "duty," but even she found the "fartface" sketch to be unfunny. She was using self-deprecation to highlight her dislike of a sketch she found to be low-brow...so your comment makes no sense.

Why don't you READ these blogs before you comment on them?

October 20 2008 at 12:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

Hey, Ford: Shut up, Fartface!

October 20 2008 at 8:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bryan

it seems that Jean K Jean gets his jokes off of popsicle sticks. (Brrrrets)

If they had good writers Kristen Wiig could be a star, but the engagement sketch was not only unfunny but annoying.

not-funny-almost-fat-guy hasn't shown anything that lets us know he's not useless

Wahlberg, Palin, and weekend update (excluding Calhoun and Jean K Jean) were pretty damn funny

Brolin seemed like he was just there to bash bush. Though i like that he reprised his "no country for old men" look

i think they just keep keenan because they need a black guy, just like they hired almost-useless-fat-guy because they need a fat guy

It makes me sad to think that Amy is leaving the show. I wish they would find some new talent soon. I will continue to watch but probably continue to complain as well

October 19 2008 at 9:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

My random thoughts:

* The Palin rap was great -- reminiscent of Chris Parnell at his best.
* Fartface was astoundingly bad, even by SNL standards.
* The Narc theme song sounded a heck of a lot like MacGruber!
* Speaking of which, the Ping-Pong ball episode was terrible.
* The Mark Wahlberg gag was great!
* Overall, a decent episode, but not as good as Anna Faris' or Anne Hathaway's.

* And lastly, I side with lucyfan on the "duty" issue.

October 19 2008 at 8:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jim's comment
goldie

* And lastly, I side with lucyfan on the "duty" issue.

Why would people who don't understand what jokes are post comments about a comedy show?

October 19 2008 at 9:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
superrrguy

Oh yeah, I don't think Marky Mark was fake angry on Kimmel. I just think his people let him know what a douche he was and they decided to make it right. Too bad SNL didn't take better advatage of it. Would have been funny if they did the Mirror Digital Short again but this time with Sandberg and Marky Mark. http://www.hulu.com/watch/11203/saturday-night-live-digital-short-the-mirror#s-p3-st-i3

October 19 2008 at 7:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
superrrguy

This show is just sad lately.

There's a big difference between being in a joke and being the joke.

I didn't think Palin came across well at all. Alec Baldwin came out and said what a joke she is while she just stood there. They could have given her some comeback lines. (Calling Palin Tina was a little funny.) Then she just sat there while Amy Pohler mocked her with the rap. Doesn't she have any advosors at all to tell her to get better lines? When McCain was on, at least he was funny.

October 19 2008 at 6:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
khamel

that rap was easily the funniest thing snl has produced this year and the funniest thing i've seen on snl in a while. the writing was better than any of the other sketches by far. i wonder who wrote the song, that man/woman needs to do alot more.

October 19 2008 at 6:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply