December 21, 2014

Heroes: Dying of the Light

by Jason Hughes, posted Oct 21st 2008 5:10AM
Heroes
(S03E06)
Say what you want, but I think this episode continued the good streak established last week. It looks like, after a shaky start, the Heroes train is finally back on the track. All it took was some patience. That's a good sign for the rest of the season. Now if it could just get some of those lost viewers back. I hope NBC is factoring in downloads, DVR playbacks and streaming views online into their decisions regarding this show as I know it performs extremely well there.

Okay, I knew there was no way Hiro would really kill Ando like that, but it was cool seeing how he pulled off that trick. Maybe all the naysayers who say Hiro is stupid this year will rethink their stance. He proved himself pretty damned clever with this little maneuver and now he's officially "on staff" at Pinehearst. And even though Matt is back in the US, now Hiro will be heading to Africa to see Parkman's precog friend. That's good, because I like this new addition to the cast.

I like that Daphne is morally conflicted about what she's doing. And I'm even appreciating the layers of complexity added to Sylar's character and how he wants to stop being the monster that we'd all grown to know and love. It's just Peter being basically the same thing that I'm not so thrilled about. Actually, they almost seem to be reversing roles which is even more terrible.

I understand that the theme of this early part of the season appears to be our established characters questioning ... well pretty much everything about themselves. Parkman, however, seems particularly naive and earnest in his pursuit of Daphne. Actually, between Parkman, Peter and Suresh I guess I'm still not thrilled with a lot of the character direction here.

Credit where credit is due, the puppet master's theater is genuinely creepy, as are the extents of his powers. It's too bad Claire and her mom had absolutely no idea what they were getting into. I have to imagine this is a character that we'll see more of. You just know Pinehearst would love to get their hands on him.

Secret Identities
  • Thank god Matt put that turtle in a cart. Otherwise he'd have never made it back to America.
  • I actually kind of like the character of Claire's mother, even though she was kind of arbitrarily thrown into the series this season.
  • So there is a way to kill Adam. Does that mean Arthur now has his ability? Maybe stealing abilities runs in the family, it's just the method by which it is done that varies.
  • Time travel vs. precog = hilarious results.
  • During the gun game, even Claire showed a spark of intelligence, convincing her mom to "kill" her. Since puppet master has no idea about her abilities. See, they're not all stupid this year.
  • Still annoyed with what's going on with Suresh, and now he's got Nathan and Tracy. Hell, blow up the loft and just get rid of all of them. I can live without any of them at this point.
That's some seriously bad news at the end there with Arthur Petrelli stealing Peter's power. What he may not have realized, though, is that he's also taken the hunger Peter got from Sylar. If Peter was struggling to hold it in, how will Arthur handle it?

Who's your favorite new cast member?
Daphne717 (65.0%)
Usutu260 (23.6%)
Meredith (she's new in a regular role!)58 (5.3%)
Tracy (heh-heh)52 (4.7%)
Flint16 (1.5%)

Random

Whoever was trying to pick apart Matt getting a turtle into the US doesn't really seem to understand that Matt can make anyone think or see anything, how the hell could he possibly fail to get a turtle into the US?

I also thought Claire is getting retarded and out of control, how dumb do you have to be to not tazer doyle as soon as you see him walking when you know he can control your physical movements.

I really like this season actually, obviously Heroes has alot of holes in it, but with a show of this nature that's bound to happen, I just try to focus on the epic storylines and its entertaining. It's pretty lame how they make Peter a bigger douche every single episode though.

October 24 2008 at 4:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ian

I hope Arthur takes away Mohinder's power. And Maya's too...

October 24 2008 at 9:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kickit

Mills - Good point, makes sense. Thanks for your input.

October 23 2008 at 10:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave

Claire,
Super Hero Lesson 101: When you are facing off with a badguy who can control all your movements, you don't yell "freeze" and just hold the taser at him you taser him before he sees you.

October 22 2008 at 5:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kickit

Gnume,

You make some good points. Maybe you are right about Daphne not immediately "unfreezing". I think I remember what you are referring to... in a past episode Hiro froze time after she stole the formula from his office, and she was frozen when he walked up to her. Then she turned and looked at him and was seemingly confused. I originally saw this as her either faking being frozen for the few seconds to kind of surprise Hiro or just that she was simply confused for that time. But looking back at it, keeping what you said in mind, it does seem to make sense that it just took her a few moments to "unfreeze". Man, all this freeze/unfreeze talk is getting confusing lol.

Also, I like your idea that Daphne is not super fast, but rather accelerating herself through time. Whether this is what the writers had in mind is unknown, but it is definitely a cool way to look at it. Really, who knows if any of this was what the writers had in mind.. but it is at least fun to speculate. Your idea kind of reminds me of an episode of Futurama (not sure if you watch it) where the Professor explaines that the spaceship is not itself moving faster than the speed of light, but rather it is rotating the universe around it to skip forward in time (or something like that).

October 22 2008 at 2:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Todd

Kickit,
If I remember correctly, in the past when Hiro stopped time, Daphne didn't immediately "unfreeze herself". I think he either did as you suggested, ported back in time then ported back to when he left, or he stopped time and returned mere moments afterwards but before Daphne would unfreeze.

Still, as I mentioned in my comment right before yours ... I think Daphne's ability is time based as well ... that she only moves forward in time, rather than moves very fast.

October 22 2008 at 2:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kickit

I have a question if anyone can clear this up for me (if it is even something that can be cleared up) -- In a past episode when Hiro stopped time, Daphne was not frozen but rather she was just slowed down to normal speed (which makes me believe that he may not actually stop time, but just really really slow it down? or maybe Daphne is just not subject to it the same way as most people?). Anyway, if this is so, then how come she was frozen when Hiro stopped time in the bar to set up the fake Ando death? I am attributing this to the fact that maybe Hiro didn't really stop time, but just went back in time and then came back to the exact point in the present... but still, it did seem like he stopped time and Daphne (along with the others) was frozen...

...anyway, not to nitpick, but if anyone can give some insight it would be appreciated.

October 22 2008 at 12:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to kickit's comment
Mills

I guess Daphne is immune to Hiro's time-freezing only when she's using her super-speed (like in Hiro's dad's office)... or at the least she's forcibly slowed down to normal speed.

In the bar, she wasn't using her super-speed, so that's why she was frozen along with the others when Hiro's stopped time.

October 23 2008 at 3:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Todd

I think Dapne's power is more than just "Super Speed". I think her power is that she is able to move herself (and now others when touching them) forward in time or at least her place in time. It's the only way I can think of that enables her to bypass Hiro's Time Stopping power. Her power would have to be Time based, not Speed based. It just looks like she is moving super fast because she is accelerating herself through time. Anyway, just my thoughts.

October 22 2008 at 12:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KenMo

I hope they go deeper into Eric Doyle's (puppetmaster) ability.
Does his ability have a range? Does he have to be in line of sight (just blindfold him then).
Not to mention the backstory of this guy to make him as evil as he is.

October 22 2008 at 4:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
La-Di-Dah

Some characters are still stupid/sloppy, but Heroes more than makes up for it by giving me two great! endings in the past 2 weeks.

I admit I don't like the compost-hole that is the Suresh dramedy.

The Peter/Sylar back and forth also makes me scratch my head, but I am willing to see where that goes.

They seem content to leave Matt in move-the-story-along-slower-than-a-turtle land.

The best badass on TV is Papa! (Papa Petrelli, that is).

October 22 2008 at 3:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply