April 25, 2014

NBC gives Knight Rider a full order

by Allison Waldman, posted Oct 21st 2008 12:01PM
KROkay, the other day I applauded Fox for giving Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles a pick up for the remainder of the 2008-2009 season. Even though the critics have been expecting more from the sci-fi series, Fox chose to stick with the show and give it a chance to evolve. Good for them!

That said, the news today that NBC has given Knight Rider a full season order leaves me cold. That's an order for nine more episodes, and it strikes me as throwing good money after bad. Knight Rider has been struggling in the ratings and generally dissed by the critics. It hasn't earned a pick up to be perfectly frank.

So why would NBC give this remake of the 1980's action drama a vote of confidence? Well, it could be that it's considered one of NBC programming chief Ben Silverman's pet projects.

It's also likely that NBC is not sure what will work better in the Wednesday 8 p.m. time slot. Knight Rider is pretty much matching CBS's attempt to build a comedy hour with The New Adventures of Old Christine and Gary Unmarried, and ABC's delightful Pushing Daisies, which is also ratings-challenged.

Here's what I would like to see NBC do with Knight Rider: make it better! This is a show that made it in the '80s based on star power and some fun with a car. That car was not a transformer or a Batmobile, but it did have a great personality. Instead of worrying about the product endorsements, which seems to be job #1 at NBC Universal these days, put some work into developing the Knight Rider characters. It's a radical idea, but maybe it'll enliven this remake and make it worthy of a full season.

Tom

Oh my God! This show sucks! S-U-C-K-S! They went the totally wrong direction with it. The stories seem, not like they are nostalgic for the 80's, but rather were written for the 80's series and stuck in a drawer to later be found and used as the basis for this crap show. I've seen about 20 minutes of two separate shows, and I've seen enough. NBC is putting out some of the most unbelievable crap, and this is by far the worst. What would this network have if not for "The Office?" I checked out "My Own Worst Enemy," it was ok, but it felt like it had this icky NBC-film all over it. I don't know who is in charge over there, but they are going down in flames (or is it a flaming bag of crap they are leaving on our doorsteps?) Did I mention the Knight Rider Sucks!?

October 25 2008 at 11:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eric

They had better give Life a full season too, if they can hand out full seasons to crap shows like this. Life is a much better show, with more interesting characters and a story that keeps you coming back for more, but they already stuck it on Friday night to die. In my opinion Chuck and Life are the best shows on NBC right now, but I'm not one of the out of touch nielsen ratings household, so my choice of quality shows doesn't count.

October 23 2008 at 12:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nathanael

Wow, "ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?" is right. One look at the pilot and I thought this would be canceled ASAP. While I appreciate a network giving a show a chance and not killing it after a few episodes, this shouldn't have even been on the air in the first place. (Seriously, NBC now has 3 spy shows: Chuck, KR, and My Own Worst Enemy. Chuck is awesome, Enemy is okay, but KR is insanely lame)

October 22 2008 at 12:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wayne Dunham

I can't believe there are stories about how Chuck and a few others are on the bubble as far as ratings go when drek like Knight Rider is getting a full ride?

WTF?? Have viewers brains all turned to mush with too much "reality" TV? While Knight Rider has some awesome eye candy the show itself is one of the worst pieces of crap since, well EVER.
Chuck is funny and has characters you can actually care about. Knight Rider has a nice looking car that makes you want to get a sledge hammer out every time is "speaks" and has 0 characters you might EVER care about.

Why do great shows like this have struggles getting ratings when horrendous shows like Popularity Contest (Survivor:Lamesville), American Idol (the William Hung type audition shows are the only ones worth watching), drone ON and ON and ON?

All I can say is AAAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!

October 22 2008 at 9:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Buddy

I have seen all of the episodes of "Knight Rider" so far. It's getting a little better in storyline, but not by that much. I really would like to see the show do well. I keep rooting for it each week to have a strong episode.

I don't mind that the new Kitt can morph into other vehicles; I just wish it could be done more realistically. I know that sounds stupid, but do it like when the Transformers become real or when each part of the Power Rangers can become that big robot. The parts of the car or body form the shape. Last week's episode, Kitt becomes a van or a truck is a little too much because of size and lengthed. Kitt becoming a police car was OK, because it could be the car's shape expanded.

My biggest complaint is the shooting of the action shots with the actors. The driving or talking in the car looks so fake ("Dukes of Hazzard" did a better job 30 years ago). Very lousy CGI, especially now in this computer-rendering society. When "Firefly" (a favorite show of mine) shot the crew in a shuttle or Serenity, it looked more real - because of lighting and angles of camera - you felt that they were really flying, even though we all knew it wasn't happening. On "Knight Rider," you can tell Mike isn't driving at all. It takes away from the action. When David Hasselhoff drove the original Kitt, the crew shot the driving scenes, for the most part, in a moving car with camera rigs attached to the side. This current team doesn't get much sun at all because they are pretty much inside a studio.

Please don't get me started on Kitt's abilities to handle medical emergencies via his glove compartment. Oh please.

A little more believability and some fantasy would make "Knight Rider" better. Also, having The Hoff on a couple of the back nine episodes would bring ratings for the show, too.

Just my take.

October 22 2008 at 12:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Patrick

Let me add another "If Knight Rider can get a full season, then why can ___?" Journeyman, anyone?

October 21 2008 at 9:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Darren

They need to give KITT a much, much better voice and more personality. When he/it talks it boredom galore!

October 21 2008 at 4:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sean

Well, i think product placement is key. In an age when ratings are down all over, dvr's are common, and bittorrent reigns supreme, show creaters need to look for a new revenue stream. Commercials aren't going to cut it anymore.

As long as ford is paying a fortune to nbc (i'm sure they are, they paid a fortune for the tv movie), it doesn't really matter what the ratings are.

October 21 2008 at 3:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jaerisk

The only good thing about this show is Deanna Russo, because she's hot.

October 21 2008 at 2:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to jaerisk's comment
Usama

Yes, I said that from Day 1. Russo is the only reason I'd watch this show... unfortunately it's not enough.

I've only seen the movie and one episode but I know I won't watch the show. The car's personality is dead, the stories are lame, the jokes are lame, and the "special effects" are even more lame.

I loved this show as a kid and I had high hopes they could pull off a BSG-esque remake. What a disappointment. I don't care so much they picked the Mustang, but I hate the Ford commercials and the influence it has had on the show's voice actor choice.

Honestly it would have been so great if KITT wasn't so damn powerful and wasn't so docile. There's no chemistry between Michael and the car, which was half the fun when watching the old show.

October 21 2008 at 8:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Fahad

WTF!

How does a crappy show like this get picked up but a shows like Studio 60 get cancelled.

Effing studio execs.