July 31, 2014

Ricky Gervais won't host the Oscars

by Bob Sassone, posted Oct 21st 2008 3:20PM
Ricky GervaisRemember when we all watched the Emmy Awards several weeks ago and wondered why they didn't just have Ricky Gervais host the damn thing since we all agree that getting five reality show hosts to host it was a pretty bad idea? Well, Gervais has actually been approached to host another awards show, The Oscars, but he has turned it down.

Gervais tells BBC News that his agent has been approached about him hosting the telecast but that he would be too scared to do it. Besides, they would probably want him to stick to a script and not let him adlib as much as he would like to.

This is probably a good idea. Not that Gervais wouldn't be a great host for the show; as his jokes and sketches with Steve Carell on the Emmy telecast showed, he's a funny, likable guy. But Gervais has always struck me as someone who tries to be successful in what he does, but not too successful. He doesn't want to get into that next level of stardom where he can't even walk down the street or do something quirky because he's too big. I think he likes his career pretty much where it is.

Having said that, I bet a lot of people would like to see him host the show (or the Emmys or the MTV Awards or an informercial for the ShamWow or anything, really).

Who should host the Oscars?
Ricky Gervais77 (21.6%)
Jon Stewart53 (14.9%)
Stephen Colbert80 (22.5%)
Ellen DeGeneres26 (7.3%)
Oprah Winfrey1 (0.3%)
Tina Fey74 (20.8%)
Tom Hanks20 (5.6%)
Will Ferrell8 (2.2%)
Other (say in comments)17 (4.8%)

Cait

Join my new facebook group, "1,000,000 Strong for Stephen T Colbert to host the Oscars!" Spread the word, Thanks!

November 03 2008 at 11:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan Y. Shin

Bring back Letterman!

October 22 2008 at 2:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
FlagPatrick

Colbert would be a good choice, the man can sing dance and be incredibly funny whether in or out of character. Jon's also great but he's done it twice now. Hugh Laurie was at one point rumored to host the emmys when it was one FOX frankly he is a great candidate with plenty of comedy/improv/musical experience. As for the Oscars Gervais is a great guy, I love him, but I don't know how much of his humor would translate back to middle america who watches it. Conan hasn't had a shot at hosting, I think it's about time he gets ahold of it. I mean Carson did it back in the day. JUST ANYBODY BUT TIMBERLAKE. I hated when those rumors came out, sure he's a funniest guy at a party and sure his snl moments have been great but he sucks with bad hacky writing, that Espy's thing was a bomb in my opinion. Stick with a full fledged comedian the Emmys should be the best proof of this.

October 21 2008 at 11:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
domino

I think they should have Fey and Peohler tag-team it

October 21 2008 at 8:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Leota

I think Stephen Colbert in character would be awesome.

October 21 2008 at 4:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

I don't think anyone post-Carson has been up to the task.

How about an awards ceremony with no host?

October 21 2008 at 4:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob

the best reason for not having Gervais do it is that he's not funny. not even in that brilliant British way that he should be. if he was funny, we'd see more out of him. but he just isn't in my opinion.

October 21 2008 at 4:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Bob's comment
dan

He IS funny, but in a very dry, subtle way. It's too bad you don't appreciate him, because he kills me.

October 22 2008 at 9:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Roberto V

Stephen should definitely host this year.

October 21 2008 at 4:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matthew Hood

Billy Crystal. It is the only thing he is really good at!

October 21 2008 at 3:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply