September 16, 2014

Eli Stone: Grace

by Jason Hughes, posted Oct 22nd 2008 9:25AM
eli stone
(S02E02)
Well I think we all know what the big to-do was regarding this whole episode: Mrs. Tom Cruise. If she wasn't married to Tom Cruise, I can guarantee you that there wouldn't have been nearly as big of a deal made about a former star of Dawson's Creek appearing on Eli Stone. Certainly she didn't make herself into an international sensation with her performance on Batman Begins. Hell, she was replaced in that for the sequel.

So how did Mrs. Tom Cruise do? Well, I won't say that she brought a whole new level of magic to the show, because it has plenty of that already. But she proved a nice diversion, and not too distracting from the ongoing plotlines. From her opening musical number, in which she performed very well, to the final moments on-screen with Eli, she showed quite a range of talent. Maybe Tom will let her out of the compound more often to get some more acting gigs. She should remind him that's what she did before she became Mrs. Tom Cruise.

Legal Motions
  • In the end, I'm not going to say that I completely understand the point of Eli's vision, or of Nathan's actions in response to his dad's notebook. I guess Dad knew Nathan would find the notebook at just the right time and then wanted him to send Grace the ticket but not tell Eli about it. Man, Dad's visions were a helluva lot more specific (and far reaching) than Eli's. Maybe Eli's will grow with time.
  • The continuing evolution of Jordan Weathersby is interesting to watch. I fully expected him to get huge resistance from the rest of the partners, especially Posner and Klein, and it was great to see Katey Sagal back in that latter role. It's such a turnaround from how Jordan's character started last year, and it seems to have come upon him so abruptly I can certainly see how they'd think he'd lost it. I'm not even sure he hasn't.
  • Isn't it a shame that no matter how many times Eli proves himself to Taylor, by the very next episode she's resisting everything he says or does or thinks. At least he has Maggie in his corner. Poor guy.
The "visions" have been tremendously toned down this season thus far, as have been the extravagant musical numbers. Is it a budget issue or a modification of the direction of the show? Maybe less visions and more traditional legal maneuverings is on the horizon. Personally, I hope not because as goofy as some of them could be, it was those visions that really made Eli, and Eli for that matter, stand out.

In fact, the case that was at the center of this week's episode was pretty mundane. But then again, I watch Boston Legal so I've seen anti-"the war" stances plenty of times already and this was just another one. A way for writers to give some potshots to the military's handling of this current war. I'm not even going to touch the real issues surrounding the war and our involvement, but I will say that I think it's been pretty well covered by now on television.

Closing

Ultimately, I'll say Grace was a bittersweet presence for Eli Stone. I'm not sure that I buy into the notion that they were just there to show the other that happiness was still possible for people like them. I think I'd have rather them choose an actress with some more availability than Mrs. Tom Cruise and actually give Eli a relationship for awhile. They could always kill her off if they wanted to move in a different direction (Damn, that was cold!).

How did you think Mrs. Tom Cruise did?
She was amazing!139 (40.9%)
She was okay149 (43.8%)
She was horrible6 (1.8%)
Remind me why we care again?46 (13.5%)

Jason

You know jason you also remind yourself to not buy into tabloid reports about stars lives like you know what goes on behind closed doors.

October 29 2008 at 8:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jason's comment
Jason Hughes

that's not how humor works at all! ;)

October 29 2008 at 10:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe

"It's such a turnaround from how Jordan's character started last year, and it seems to have come upon him so abruptly..."

Watch the first season again. The evolution of Jordan was the main reason I went back and watched it all over again. It's actually done gradually with care and authenticity. Watch the scene near the end of S1, E9: 'I Want Your Sex' for the turning moment.

"A way for writers to give some potshots to the military's handling of this current war."

I thought this might be a bit of a Boston Legal episode, but I think the key was the relationships that came out of this. There was no Alan Shore-esque summation, instead we had the father's admission that spoke more about military families, the piety of soldiers and most importantly, sons and fathers. I felt these issues were the intended focus, rather than America's involvement in any particular conflict.

I love this show. I've told everyone who will listen all about it. On the strength of the second season so far, it looks like I'm still not doing enough to get the word out. Here's hoping for a full season and more to come of Eli Stone.

October 25 2008 at 5:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nattyff

I think that she is sign up for 3 more episodes, so she sould come back eventually.

October 23 2008 at 7:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
George

I'm not a Katie Holmes fan, but for the record, she was actually quite good in 'Batman Begins'. I think there's a psychological "taint" on her performance, but it's unjustified.

October 22 2008 at 2:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Courtney

You know, it occurred to me that they just might bring her back to develop a relationship and have her suddenly die of her heart condition, so you might not be too far off with the "killing her off" idea. In the end, though, I liked her. (Take a look at my review here: raked.wordpress.com)

I really hope that they keep up the wild visions. We have a lot to live up to after the dancing in the street scene, which wasn't really a vision at all. We just want it to be. I have hope though. Live brave.

October 22 2008 at 1:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennifer

I agree: I wish this character had been cast by someone who could/would be semi-regular. I'd rather see Eli end up with ANYONE but Maggie, who makes me wince.

I actually liked Katie Holmes in the role. Go figure. Forgot she could act.

October 22 2008 at 1:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sue

I really wish they would give Eli someone to have a relationship with also. He is lonely and he needs someone in his life. Apparently he has given up on Maggie since she is engaged now and they don't seem to have the same chemistry as they did last year anyway. As long as he stays away from Taylor. She is so mean to Eli now. Not sure how those two were ever an item.

October 22 2008 at 12:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply