November 23, 2014

Pushing Daisies: Frescorts

by Isabelle Carreau, posted Oct 22nd 2008 9:43PM
Pushing Daisies
(S02E04) "Where are you living anyway?" - Ned to Emerson

Did you realize that this week's Pushing Daisies episode is actually only the 13th installment of the refreshing series? I forgot about it for a second or two when I told myself "About time!" after realizing that "Frescorts" was going to offer us some Emerson backstory. I guess the almost-nine-months hiatus, thanks to the writers' strike, made us long for more details about the show's characters. In any case, let me say this: Yay for some Emerson backstory!

So Emerson's mother, played by Everwood's Debra Mooney, was a famous PI who was more a friend to Emerson than a mother. It explains why Emerson became a PI but doesn't give all clues as to why he is so secretive (the gang doesn't know where he lives). I know a PI is more than likely to try to protect his privacy but Ned, Olive and Chuck are Emerson's friends... one would expect that they would have least seen his place's front door, no?

My favorite scene of the episode is definitely when Emerson and Calista performed their interrogation routine. It was hilarious while being effective. I wouldn't have liked to be one of the persons being asked the questions as the mother and son duo was a bit frightening.

Calista's presence didn't offer us much to chew on (aka juicy details from Emerson's past) but what she did provide is the needed push for Emerson to find his daughter. It's more than likely that he will rewrite his book and that it'll get published just in time for his daughter to pop up during November Sweeps.

Yep, that was David Arquette playing weirdo Randy Mann. It was a good casting choice for such a character. It was nice to see Ned bond with someone outside of the Pie Hole circle. And, not spoiling too much here, we haven't seen the last of Randy but it'll be a few weeks/months before he resurfaces.

So far, I enjoy seeing Chuck and Olive be BFFs. It will be fun to see how they try to better themselves to make their friendship work and, as I've mentioned in my last review, see how they deal with the aunts if one of them stops by to visit Olive. The Chuck/Olive pairing also provides new conflicts and problems for Ned to deal with. Chuck has a new friend now... maybe it's time Ned gets a new friend too?

Alison

LOVE this show! I also really enjoyed reading the other viewers comments. Yes Emerson Cod's mother is white.

The sexual tension between Ned and Chuck is wonderful and entertaining. I think it symbolizes how when two people are so into each other and so connected, they feel like they can never get enough of each other and can never get close enough. But that's just my take on it.

November 18 2008 at 3:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nathan

Did anyone else think that Chuck was acting way out of character at the end? Why would she strip in front of Ned when he can't touch her? That's just plain cruel.

October 28 2008 at 1:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eric

what was with the scene where emerson speaks without opening his mouth? i love this show, but it was a strange slip for the show to have...

October 24 2008 at 1:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
irish_eyes

Any show that references Spinal Tap...

Downey the hug machine was "...dialed up to 11"

sheer brilliance!

October 23 2008 at 3:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan Chichian

I am so glad Olive is back full time! I am not sure if it was the idea of taxidermy that bothered Ned nearly as much as the poses and get ups that Randy put them in. His gift of the golden singing American Pie was creepy even without the resemblance to Digby.

October 23 2008 at 1:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kim

Funny how a guy who taxiderms dead animals is too weird for Ned, who literally brings people back from the dead.

I loved the scene when Chuck hugged the dog for Ned.

Emerson's my man. What a great cast of truly interesting, unique characters!

October 23 2008 at 11:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Kim's comment
Ryan

I wonder if the taxidermed animals would come back to life if Ned touches them. I mean I believe so, but still... freaky.

I just love that there's this not really subtle dichotomy of cute/fun/innocence and raunchy/twisted/death that the show has.

"I'd duvet you all night long."

October 23 2008 at 11:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lorie

This is the one show where I love the supporting cast more than the leads. Emerson is my favorite character, with Olive a very close 2nd.

October 23 2008 at 8:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Xboxbydegrees

To Jaerisk: Yes. It can happen, has happened and isn't a big deal.

October 23 2008 at 7:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dee

"I know a PI is more than likely to try to protect his privacy but Ned, Olive and Chuck are Emerson's friends... one would expect that they would have least seen his place's front door, no?"

Yeah, but Emerson is not the type to have "friends". He prefers to call them his colleagues...

I have never seen a more adorable cast in all of television! Call me superficial, but it's the main reason I watch the show.

October 23 2008 at 2:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sierra Night Tide

I still havent seen this show but have heard great things.

www.FAQofLifeOnline.com