December 20, 2014

Slater and NBC have to deal with their own worst ratings

by Bob Sassone, posted Oct 22nd 2008 6:13PM
SlaterLooks like the NBC black hole time slot of Monday at 10 p.m. is about to swallow another victim.

My Own Worst Enemy, the new Christian Slater spy series that I'm really enjoying, continues to drop in the ratings. The premiere episode did only so-so, and this week's second episode saw a drop of 22%. Those aren't the kind of numbers that scream "second season renewal" or even "full season order." Seems more like "put on hiatus" or maybe a "let's put it on Friday nights instead!" thing.

Mondays at 10 is just a really tricky time slot, at least for NBC. It's up against CSI: Miami, and the lead-in shows (Heroes and Chuck) are also down this season. In the past couple of seasons we've already seen the demise of other shows in the slot, including The Black Donnellys, that stupid wedding bloopers show, and that show whose name I won't mention because I'll just get dumped on, but a guy named Aaron Sorkin was involved.

I think there was another show in that time slot at some point but there have been so many that I'm drawing a blank right now.

Update: Yes, I know, Journeyman.

Jim

I wanted to watch this show, but come on - Monday's has too many shows on already. Make it a Tuesday or Wednesday show.

October 23 2008 at 5:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cdawg

Leah - my thoughts exactly!

I really enjoy the show (although I'll watch anything with Christian Slater in it to tell the truth). Alfre Woodard has finally found a role suitable to her talent. It's interesting and I find it gives me my Alias fix to an extent.

Sigh Alias... I miss that show. (although I'll watch anything with Jennifer Gardner in it to tell the truth)

October 23 2008 at 10:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
leah

How can a show "continue to drop in the ratings" when it's only aired 2 episodes?

October 23 2008 at 10:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
eric f

maybe NBC should get used to the fact that shows won't get better ratings in that timeslot and life with it. Every show can't be the top rated show.

MOWE is great, and I hope it doesn't go away.

October 23 2008 at 8:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Goo

How about telling us the weekly ratings like TV Squad used to.

October 22 2008 at 11:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Goo's comment
segsig

The blue with the underline means it's a link to the information the words are describing. In this case, "continues to drop in the ratings" would be what you are looking for. Should he have reprinted the ratings for all the shows or just this one, or let you pick which information you'd like to know.

October 22 2008 at 11:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Goo

Well, this site used to show the weekly ratings, i thought they were interesting. There hasn't been a thread for this since a July 27th post, so I thought to make my comment in a post about ratings.

October 22 2008 at 11:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

The thing that kinda turns me off to this show is that he has an implant that gives him another identity, but when he starts to communicate with his alter ego, its like whats the point.

He knows what both identities are doing so why have a cover?

October 22 2008 at 11:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kireet

Studio--err Dramatic 30 Rock was beautiful, and it will be sorely missed. As will My Own Worst Enemy in 3...2...

October 22 2008 at 10:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
segsig

Hee, hee...ever since that show you won't mention got canned, I've stopped watching nbc, but have loved following its wallow in pig feces.

But, now I'm a mess because Bradley Whitford did a half hour comedy pilot for them...urg.

October 22 2008 at 10:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MERVE-THE-PERVE

This is why I'm not watching any new shows until their 3rd season starts until they repair the broken ratings system. I'm sick and tired of them giving everything the quick hook.

October 22 2008 at 7:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Liz

This show is ok but I think they need to make Saffron Burrows a lead character to make it more interesting. Maybe as Edward's lover?

The other problem is that I just don't like Henry or Edward very much. I can't tell if they are trying to make Edward look like a bad guy, or just a misunderstood antihero. Henry is just boring and wimpy though.

October 22 2008 at 7:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply